• Skater
    replied
    Re: Need a new clean boost

EarthQuaker tonejob

Leave a comment:

• allstarrme
    replied

I have a spark and still use it sometimes. It really depends on where in the chain you are putting it. Before the amp pushes the gain up, where in the loop it’s more of a volume/solo boost.

I too have been using an Friedman buxom boost all the time. It has a good amount of eq adjustment and has a ton of headroom. Can be run at 18v for even more boost.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Hands down the best boost I’ve ever used is the Friedman Buxom Boost.

Leave a comment:

• Coma
    replied

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    You can set an eq flat and turn up the volume. So what is the benefit to just a boost?
    Same as any pedal: it sounds good.

Leave a comment:

• PFDarkside
    replied

Originally posted by Coma View Post
    Heh, I bought a Keeley Comp Plus last spring for use with single coils during clean sections. Ended up keeping it always on, but in humbucker mode. For whatever reason it seems to work better that way, even when I swap to singles.
    Humbucker just gives you more headroom.

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

You can set an eq flat and turn up the volume. So what is the benefit to just a boost?

Leave a comment:

• Coma
    replied

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    Comp = Boost + attack/sustain manipulation
    EQ = Boost + Frequency Manipulation
    Boost = Boost + NO tone change

I'm generally a fan of the last, but have used the others. Comp for gain and Sustain on single coils is always great. EQ is cool when your amazeballs rhythm tone does not have enough cut.
    Heh, I bought a Keeley Comp Plus last spring for use with single coils during clean sections. Ended up keeping it always on, but in humbucker mode. For whatever reason it seems to work better that way, even when I swap to singles.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

Comp = Boost + attack/sustain manipulation
    EQ = Boost + Frequency Manipulation
    Boost = Boost + NO tone change

I'm generally a fan of the last, but have used the others. Comp for gain and Sustain on single coils is always great. EQ is cool when your amazeballs rhythm tone does not have enough cut.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
    I think clean boosts are great for kicking up the preamp gain, but if it's going to be always in the loop I would go for EQ pedal for versatility.
    It's a great point. I think A clean boost or EQ as the last device on the pedal board to hit the pre-amp hard is my preference.

Leave a comment:

• Jacew
    replied

I fried my TC Electronic Spark trying to replace the switch. Before I spring for a replacement Spark (the switch still sucks but the pedal works great with my amp), any other pedals I should consider?

Requirements:
    1: Has to be a clean boost, I don't need an overdrive.
    2: Doesn't color the signal too much.
    3: Has to work in the FX loop, unlikely it will ever be parked in front of the amp.
    4: Preferably some sort of EQ or tone control.
    I think clean boosts are great for kicking up the preamp gain, but if it's going to be always in the loop I would go for EQ pedal for versatility.

Leave a comment:

• Studioplayer
    replied

I have an Orange Dark Terror and I tried the Orange Two Stroke, but it provided much more than I need and really needed to be in front of my amp; not in the loop. Are there any clean boosts that work equally as well in the effects loop as well as up front? I really prefer not using foot operated pedals on a board or floor. Doe the MXR Micro work well in the amp loop? I just need something to slightly boost my Burstbucker II bridge pickup.

Studioplayer

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Check out the Pickup Booster, a clean boost with a very cool Resonance switch.

Leave a comment:

• Aceman
    replied

Had my eyes on it too. That's their clone of the Xotic RC, right?
    Yep. Bass, Treble, Gain, Level. Small, nice and transparent, unless you want to tone tweek. I usually add just a hair of treble. Available cheap with a little patience. I suspect people buy it thinking it is an Overdrive.

My main "gripe" is that the level knob is a tiny one in the middle and there big knob is gain. It doesn't add that much gain IMO, and I honestly don't really know - usually don't run the gain knob past 10/11, depending on the guitar. Sounds pretty damn clean to me. I usually hit it at practice when using the acoustic into say a Marshall clean channel, or for a volume boost after a Mooer Solo. The gain & level knobs do seem to interact though regarding the amount of boost.

Leave a comment:

• Looselectron
    replied

Orange makes a para-EQ pedal called the Two-Stroke. https://orangeamps.com/products/fx-pedals/two-stroke/
    I just got one for the loop of my VHT Special because it is supposed to have higher headroom than most but haven't tried that yet (neighbors... )
    So last night I tried it in front of with my Korg SDD-3000 direct into an audio interface with headphones, so I can say that at this point that it definitely does not add any color to the tone.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied

I'd go with an Xotic RC. It can't be beat IMO

Leave a comment:

Working...
X