No announcement yet.

Tumnus as a distortion vs an overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing about the Tumnus is it mixes the clean signal with the distorted signal like a Klon, doesn't it? I wouldn't want that on my distorted tone, personally. At least not in a 100% clean amp.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 08-09-2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
      The thing about the Tumnus is it mixes the clean signal with the distorted signal like a Klon, doesn't it? I wouldn't want that on my distorted tone, personally. At least not in a 100% clean amp.
      I'm pretty sure it has a clean blend. AFAIK the Tumnus is essentially a Klon circuit with tweaked frequency response for a slightly fatter lower midrange.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Not sure what it does, clean blend or mot but love how it sounds with my Jube
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I have not had a chance to really try it out yet at real volume, but I am already pleased with the sustain thing. If it is "just" a good boost for me I will be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Yeah, as a standalone overdrive, you have to be used to the fact that you are going to have to work harder. It adds sustain more than gain, which is what I am after. It doesn't do power chords well, but it is super-responsive to the volume knob, making it easy to do chords with a major 7th or minor 6th come out clearly. It is an overdrive pedal for people like me who play clean all of the time.
            I had a chance to try it at volume today and with gain around 75% AND volume the same it sounds great! I can totally imagine using that as my core sound. Nice box. No regerts.

Comment

It really makes a difference to use an overdrive that keeps dynamics rather than compressing everything. I think it opens up some new dimensions.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I agree, Mincer. So many of the ones I have tried were just too smooth. Not necessarily creamy, but just compressed everything to one level..
                This works really well for me.

Comment

Working...
                X