Tumnus as a distortion vs an overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tumnus as a distortion vs an overdrive

So, I have discovered that I prefer the Wampler Tumnus Deluxe as a distortion pedal into a clean amp over an overdrive pedal into an already overdriven amp.
    I also found that I prefer an 805 into an overdriven over the Tumnus Deluxe doing the same thing.

For those of you who use the Tumnus, which do you prefer and why?
    This is more just to satisfy my curiosity more than anything.

Thanks,
    GreatOz

Re: Tumnus as a distortion vs an overdrive

It is similar to my BYOC Silver Pony, which I use into a dead clean amp with the gain about 75% up.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a regular Tumnus rather than the Deluxe, and I use it to boost the dirty channel of my Marshall Jubilees for leads. Tumnus is ridiculously loud, so I run the gain at 9 o'clock and the level at 12 o'clock.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

All of my overdrives are into clean amps.
        At the volume I play it sounds way better than amp overdrive.

Comment

Because there is such net-mythology about the Klon circuit as a clean-ish boost, the higher gain end doesn’t get nearly as much coverage - yet, it is a great tone in and of itself. I have a BYOC Silver Pony and use every mm of travel in the gain control depending on what I’m wanting to hear and play!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
            I have a regular Tumnus rather than the Deluxe, and I use it to boost the dirty channel of my Marshall Jubilees for leads. Tumnus is ridiculously loud, so I run the gain at 9 o'clock and the level at 12 o'clock.
            I do the same with my Jube, run the regular Tumnus as a boost. Love the tone of it. I think my gain is prob closer to 1030 though. I do run it on the clean side as well, just prefer using it as an od/boost.
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
              Because there is such net-mythology about the Klon circuit as a clean-ish boost, the higher gain end doesn’t get nearly as much coverage - yet, it is a great tone in and of itself. I have a BYOC Silver Pony and use every mm of travel in the gain control depending on what I’m wanting to hear and play!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              Yeah, me too. You don't hear about that circuit much as an overdrive by itself, but it really does work well into a very clean amp.

Comment

Good to know, I've got a klone on the way! I'm hoping to like it either way ("boost" and "dirt")

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                  Good to know, I've got a klone on the way! I'm hoping to like it either way ("boost" and "dirt")
                  It really does both very well, especially if you use dynamics a lot in your playing, and use overdrive more for the sustain than crush-ability.

Comment

Sustain is what I want.

Comment

I just recently picked up a Tumnus deluxe and I also play it into a clean amp. I am still working with it to get the tone I want but so far I have been enjoying it. The other day I plugged it in to a beat up ds-1 just for fun. It actually worked. I was able to get some nice distortion with cool sustain and less compression.

Comment

Sustain is what I want.
                        I find it works perfect for that, while keeping the dynamics of your playing intact.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I find it works perfect for that, while keeping the dynamics of your playing intact.
                          That is the dream!

Comment

Got my Klon-ish pedal together today. So far so good! Kids are asleep so I won't really know until tomorrow but my first impression was very good! Gotta say, though, it impressed me more as a dirty boost than as a stand alone distortion.

Comment

Got my Klon-ish pedal together today. So far so good! Kids are asleep so I won't really know until tomorrow but my first impression was very good! Gotta say, though, it impressed me more as a dirty boost than as a stand alone distortion.
                              Yeah, as a standalone overdrive, you have to be used to the fact that you are going to have to work harder. It adds sustain more than gain, which is what I am after. It doesn't do power chords well, but it is super-responsive to the volume knob, making it easy to do chords with a major 7th or minor 6th come out clearly. It is an overdrive pedal for people like me who play clean all of the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X