Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Locher
    replied
    I agree, Mincer. So many of the ones I have tried were just too smooth. Not necessarily creamy, but just compressed everything to one level..
    This works really well for me.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    It really makes a difference to use an overdrive that keeps dynamics rather than compressing everything. I think it opens up some new dimensions.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Locher
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Yeah, as a standalone overdrive, you have to be used to the fact that you are going to have to work harder. It adds sustain more than gain, which is what I am after. It doesn't do power chords well, but it is super-responsive to the volume knob, making it easy to do chords with a major 7th or minor 6th come out clearly. It is an overdrive pedal for people like me who play clean all of the time.
    I had a chance to try it at volume today and with gain around 75% AND volume the same it sounds great! I can totally imagine using that as my core sound. Nice box. No regerts.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Locher
    replied
    I have not had a chance to really try it out yet at real volume, but I am already pleased with the sustain thing. If it is "just" a good boost for me I will be happy.

Leave a comment:

• Hsb
    replied
    Not sure what it does, clean blend or mot but love how it sounds with my Jube

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    replied
    Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    The thing about the Tumnus is it mixes the clean signal with the distorted signal like a Klon, doesn't it? I wouldn't want that on my distorted tone, personally. At least not in a 100% clean amp.
    I'm pretty sure it has a clean blend. AFAIK the Tumnus is essentially a Klon circuit with tweaked frequency response for a slightly fatter lower midrange.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Rex_Rocker
    replied
    The thing about the Tumnus is it mixes the clean signal with the distorted signal like a Klon, doesn't it? I wouldn't want that on my distorted tone, personally. At least not in a 100% clean amp.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 08-09-2020, 09:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
    Got my Klon-ish pedal together today. So far so good! Kids are asleep so I won't really know until tomorrow but my first impression was very good! Gotta say, though, it impressed me more as a dirty boost than as a stand alone distortion.
    Yeah, as a standalone overdrive, you have to be used to the fact that you are going to have to work harder. It adds sustain more than gain, which is what I am after. It doesn't do power chords well, but it is super-responsive to the volume knob, making it easy to do chords with a major 7th or minor 6th come out clearly. It is an overdrive pedal for people like me who play clean all of the time.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Locher
    replied
    Got my Klon-ish pedal together today. So far so good! Kids are asleep so I won't really know until tomorrow but my first impression was very good! Gotta say, though, it impressed me more as a dirty boost than as a stand alone distortion.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Locher
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Re: Tumnus as a distortion vs an overdrive

I find it works perfect for that, while keeping the dynamics of your playing intact.
    That is the dream!

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Sustain is what I want.
    I find it works perfect for that, while keeping the dynamics of your playing intact.

Leave a comment:

• CK71
    replied

I just recently picked up a Tumnus deluxe and I also play it into a clean amp. I am still working with it to get the tone I want but so far I have been enjoying it. The other day I plugged it in to a beat up ds-1 just for fun. It actually worked. I was able to get some nice distortion with cool sustain and less compression.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Locher
    replied

Sustain is what I want.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Good to know, I've got a klone on the way! I'm hoping to like it either way ("boost" and "dirt")
    It really does both very well, especially if you use dynamics a lot in your playing, and use overdrive more for the sustain than crush-ability.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Locher
    replied

Good to know, I've got a klone on the way! I'm hoping to like it either way ("boost" and "dirt")

Leave a comment:

Working...
X