Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J Rockett Archer Ikon

...coming soon.

Let's see what all the hooo-hah about the Klon circuit is about.

Re: J Rockett Archer Ikon

whats the difference between the archer and archer ikon?

Comment

I have one, and I like it!

Comment

I'll chime in on any Klon thread. I built a Klone with my daughter, and it's my favorite pedal. I think I'm over the TubeScreamer thing now, and it's a shame I was chasing this for so long down the wrong path.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          whats the difference between the archer and archer ikon?
          As I'm sure you've guessed I've done extensive research including tone vids.

At this point in time, apparently the silver archer has silicon "schottky" diodes; whereas the gold ikon archer has germanium.

Also apparently, back when the silver archer came on the scene (no gold version yet), it used germanium.

At some point in time, they decided to add the gold ikon version and do the aforementioned diode schtick.

---

Audibly via YouTube demos, the differences are the silver archer seems to have a bit less mids/warmth... and a bit more bite.

The gold ikon is a bit warmer/has more mids... and smoother.

Last edited by LLL; 07-21-2020, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Also of note:

Germanium diodes usually come in a clear glass package with a band marking the cathode. Most of the time, that band is black. Sometimes it's green or red. You won't be able to tell the exact part number, but it's a safe bet that ones that look like that are germanium. Russian diodes are marked differently. The D9Es that are in the Ikons have a blue and grey band. The silicon diodes in the silver Archer are blue, and the ones in the Soul Food are red-orange.

Comment

excellent, thanks. i knew there was a difference but wasnt sure what was what and which was which. i like the ikon/gold one better at least on the demo

Comment

Also, some detailed Klon history:

Build a Klon Centaur clone that fits in a 1590B enclosure. (Legacy project, newer version available)

Comment

I am also about to jump on the Klone wagon! I'm hoping it will displace the TS I was talking about in your confession thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                    I am also about to jump on the Klone wagon! I'm hoping it will displace the TS I was talking about in your confession thread.
                    A Klone displaced the Tubescreamer I used with my Marshall Jubilee for 12 years; it was the tone I'd been looking for going back a long while. I still like a TS and use them now and again, but these days it's because I want that specific sound.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                      A Klone displaced the Tubescreamer I used with my Marshall Jubilee for 12 years; it was the tone I'd been looking for going back a long while.
                      My main amp is a Jet City JCA50H I modded to JCM800 specs, and it doesn't sound quite right until I kick on my Klone. Then all is right with the world. Now I have a Monte Allums GT SD-1 and a Wylde Overdrive with external GT-OD switch gathering dust.

Comment

Good to hear because the GT-OD is what I'm using now!

Comment

I've had it for about a month... quick 'n' dirty review:

*Great* stomp.

It's a 2-feature thing; clean boost and dirt

Has a great buffer as well. This gives your amp a strong signal to work with.

One, the clean boost side - one of the best clean boosts I've ever heard. Imparts its own mild tonality/EQ similar to the way a real EP-3 preamp (like Badgerplex Trilogy) does.
                          Chimey top end, balanced EQ throughout the freqs. Good amount of boost.

Two, the dirt side - *great* OD here. Right amount of grit & smooth. Perfect hi-pass (no flub on the low end) and the same chime/overall EQ as above.
                          Bass, mids, treble all seem "perfect", if that's possible... like the guitar tone was EQ'd perfectly in the studio.

Interestingly, running this stomp through a real vintage '66 Fender Deluxe wasn't quite my cuppa joe. I much preferred it with Marshall-style gain structures.

Played with singles (Callaham H/SRVs) and buckers (SD Seth Lovers).

BTW, this is *not* a "metal" gain-level thing - classic rock and lighter levels of distortion here.

Comment

I got ine last week and I agree with everything you've said! Mine (a "Sagittarius" by FrankTheAnvilFX) has a toggle for schottky or germanium and germanium is smoother, a bit quieter, and maybe more low mids.

It kicked the GT-OD off my chain.

I'm still not sure about the buffer, though. I might mod it for true bypass. I can't decide if I like what it does.

Comment

funny you mention the fender vs marshall thing. i use a '66 dr as my main amp most of the time and the klon (i know a few people with real ones) is good but ive always preferred timmy with my amp. with their rigs, which tend to me more marshally/tweed flavored, the klon sounds fantastic

Comment

Working...
                              X