No announcement yet.

J Rockett Archer Ikon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a bit more drive, I've stacked my Archer Ikon with an MXR mini-Timmy, works very well! I also have a RYRA klone, which I like, but I prefer the Ikon right now...

Comment

Originally posted by misterwhizzy View Post
      Re: J Rockett Archer Ikon

I'll chime in on any Klon thread. I built a Klone with my daughter, and it's my favorite pedal. I think I'm over the TubeScreamer thing now, and it's a shame I was chasing this for so long down the wrong path.
      Good enough for Jeff Beck? Good enough for me!

I had an Aluminum Falcon Klone, a Soul Food, and one other Klone I can't remember.

Liked them all so much I had to have a real one.

So I bought a Klon KTR from Bill Finnigan.

It's SCREWED to my pedal board. lol!

Not really, but neither is it ever leaving.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        funny you mention the fender vs marshall thing. i use a '66 dr as my main amp most of the time and the klon (i know a few people with real ones) is good but ive always preferred timmy with my amp. with their rigs, which tend to me more marshally/tweed flavored, the klon sounds fantastic
        I've heard of the Timmy (remember when it came out and people going nuts over it; maybe Plexi Palace forum days), but not sure of the circuit.

Is it Tubescreamer-based?

Comment

i have no idea what its based on but it doesnt sound like a ts at all to me. i had a v1 and v2, havent tried the v3 or mxr version. its a fairly uncolored drive pedal without much compression unless you turn the gain past noon. a pre overdrive bass control and post overdrive treble control let you tune the eq very well. im a blues rock guy, or at least the tones i go after are from that school. and timmy works great for me

Comment

I think I need to try a Timmy pedal now...
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Anyone tried the Hermida Dover Drive? Eric Johnson is using one on his small pedalboard that he uses for clinics. Gets that violin tone that Eric normally gets by combining a Fuzz Face and Tube Driver. Does a lot more too! Almost sounds like a fuzz when you start cranking it. I was thinking: "Boy, I could almost play Satisfaction with this!" I have the Klon and the Dover Drive on my pedal board and between the two I can get all the overdrive, fuzz and violin tone a guy could ever want.

Comment

I remember when I was researching Klons and Bill hadn't started making them again so I was looking at Klones.

The Rockett was highly regarded by a lot of players.

I fell into an Aluminum Falcon for a good price and got that instead but the Rockett Archer Ikon was at the top the list.

Comment

That is funny, because I am under the impression Bill whatever created the Klon circuit to push his Fender Reverb amp?
                  The Timmy is the only other beloved circuit I have yet to try...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Locher View Post
                    That is funny, because I am under the impression Bill whatever created the Klon circuit to push his Fender Reverb amp?
                    The Timmy is the only other beloved circuit I have yet to try...
                    Bill Finnigan. He says he designed the Klon to make his Strat sound more like a Les Paul.

I like the Klon through my blackface Fenders. I like it through my Blackstar Artist and Artisan amps too.

But we all have our preferences and there are lots of choices.

Stevie Ray liked old Tube Screamers as we all know. So do I. So does Eric Johnson. Both are favorite guitarists of mine and I own one but I don't use one.

Jeff Beck, who has been my favorite guitarist since about 1965 when he played with the Yardbirds, uses a Klon, and has for quite a few years now.

One of the beauties of the Klon is that I can leave it on all the time and it cleans up when I turn the volume control of my guitar down.

If a player is more into grinding fuzz and heavy metal tones there are pedals better suited for those tones.

And truthfully, for more saturated tones that are dense, thick, fuzzy and violin like, I use my Hermida Dover Drive.

Comment

Have to agree with everything LLL said. I have tried gain-staging mine using a boost to push the Klon or using the Klon as a boost to push another pedal...not the best application. My best description is it gets squirrelly and difficult to control when approaching the high-gain territory. There are much better pedals out there for those types of applications, But plug one into a Marshall and you can spend the afternoon going through your classic rock catalog.

Comment

Working...
                      X