Chasing the Santana tone again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

That clip sounded great. Sweet tone. I have several wah's. My favorite is the AMT "Japanese Girl" wah. It has a 3-position switch so that you can tailor the EQ curve to the guitar.

Lew: Part of what I'm talking about is that subtle creamy dirt he seems to get independent of how hard he lays into his picking. I love that tone.
    I love Carlos tone too.

I've seen him live using too much overdrive too, where he didn't get his tone.

Just a lot of cliched overdrive like you've heard lesser talents get a million times.

Carlos excites the strings differently than most of us. He uses HUGE triangular picks that almost no one but Carlos uses! And the way he holds that big pick is "odd".

Most of us couldn't play with them and then we wonder how he gets his tone!

He's a very unique guy. His sound is oozing with soul and spirituality and feeling.

I'll bet if Carlos plugged into my stuff he'd sound like Carlos.

And if I plugged into his stuff I'd still sound like me because I would play the way I always do and play the notes and melodies and licks that come naturally to me and which I'm drawn to play.
    Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-05-2020, 07:34 AM.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Yup. So true.

Comment

In that first clip, it sounds like a Mark I roaring with that classic Santana sound, but the volume on the guitar is on 1, so it can't really come through. I hear the compression of the Boogie preamp, but the note just dies after that, like what happens when you use tons of preamp gain but keep the volume on the guitar low.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          In that first clip, it sounds like a Mark I roaring with that classic Santana sound, but the volume on the guitar is on 1, so it can't really come through. I hear the compression of the Boogie preamp, but the note just dies after that, like what happens when you use tons of preamp gain but keep the volume on the guitar low.
          Right. I like to do that too.

I don't own a super high gain amp so I set it for a great clean tone and then use some pedals. Have a Klon KTR and Dover Drive. But the pedals I have allow me to turn the volume knob down on my guitar to clean things up just a little and catch my breath.

Or just get a little more breath into my overdriven tone and less distortion.

Carlos' tone has a lot of breath in it.

When it's good anyway.

Sometimes he overdoes it and then his sound gets too saturated too.

Last edited by Lewguitar; 08-05-2020, 01:59 PM.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I've just been playing with my wah, into several different distortions, at different levels. I can't get that tone. I guess I'll just have set my guitar down, and listen to Carlos music. That's not a bad thing.

Comment

i really dont think its a wah. ive seen him live and there is a wah on stage but i could see when he used it and it was very seldom. i think its the guitar and the amp. tons of mids and a good amount of gain, then roll the volume back on the guitar

Comment

Working...
              X