banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help me with what effects are in photograph live intro by Def Leppard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help me with what effects are in photograph live intro by Def Leppard?

Hey all,

I have been learning this song and I am obsessed with the intro tone for the rhythm. I know that they played live through Marshalls, but can you offer some advice for what effects they may have been using for that rhythm tone that could get me close? It's just ridiculously wide and growly. I have heard that they use a lot of chorus in that song but I wasn't sure if that was only for the chorus (no pun intended), can't tell if that's active during the intro. It stinks because whenever I watch youtube videos on chorus pedals, it's ALWAYS someone playing a clean channel so I never see how the pedals sound dirty.

I'm playing through a Marshall JVM with a les paul. In the video it looks like Steve is using the bridge pickup so i've just been using that for the whole song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yonijurHnjs It's at 1:03

Thank you very much,

It does sound to me that there were some post-production tricks on there...everything certainly seems doubled and cleaned up, which is a common thing for live albums.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Chorus and delay with a dirty amp should get you close. It was probably rack chorus and rack delay, like TC, Yamaha or Lexicon.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Steve_Clark_Def_Leppard_Death.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	6008383

jah .... 80's chorus & Marshall, industry standards for the time. Phil Collen's playing however something to be desired.

Steve Clark did most of the songwriting. Man wish that guy was still here.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Steve_Clark_Def_Leppard_Death.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	6008383

jah .... 80's chorus & Marshall, industry standards for the time. Phil Collen's playing however something to be desired.

Steve Clark did most of the songwriting. Man wish that guy was still here.
            I wish I could shred with the guitar down there.

Comment

Forgot to come back and post this. I never ended up really getting the live tone =/. I tried so many different combinations but couldn't really get what I wanted. I ended up having too much gain/grain. Just wanted to say thanks as always I appreciate your help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB9_...&start_radio=1

Comment

FWIW, I remember seeing some youtube video where they had this blue/black box from the 80's that had build in effects. It was not a pedal but some crazy box unit, maybe a rackmount device? It was some old brand, maybe rocktron?
                They even spoke about how it was instant 80's tone and started playing the photograph riff. I cannot remember which video it was though Maybe this will ring a bell with someone else.

Comment

Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akuwjP0P-1A
                  Hope this helps. It is a different video than I remember but close enough.

Comment

definitely has some chorus and some studio magic, but also remember live, steve clark and phill collen are playing different different guitar parts to create a massive sound, so it's 1. going to have a unique natural chorus effect and 2. kinda impossible to play on one guitar
                    Quality riffs in about a minute...
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst View Post
                      FWIW, I remember seeing some youtube video where they had this blue/black box from the 80's that had build in effects. It was not a pedal but some crazy box unit, maybe a rackmount device? It was some old brand, maybe rocktron?
                      They even spoke about how it was instant 80's tone and started playing the photograph riff. I cannot remember which video it was though Maybe this will ring a bell with someone else.
                      Possibly the Rockman chorus? A classic piece of early-80s gear.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by chillytouch View Post
                        Forgot to come back and post this. I never ended up really getting the live tone =/. I tried so many different combinations but couldn't really get what I wanted. I ended up having too much gain/grain. Just wanted to say thanks as always I appreciate your help!

ya did a good job!

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Possibly the Rockman chorus? A classic piece of early-80s gear.

Comment

I bet it’s the Rockman, you’re right.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by chillytouch View Post

That sounds pretty darn close to me!
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X