Help with Multi-Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Multi-Effects

Hey there. I'm very new to effect pedals and stuff. My whole playing time has been spent on a Peavey Vypyr VIP1. I recently bought a Mesa/Boogie Mini Recto 25 with matching 1x12 cab. Im looking to build up a pedal board with it mainly consisting of basics. (Reverb, Delay, OD/Distortion, Wah). I was looking at a multi effects pedal. My train of thought being that I could get a lot of effects in one space and not buy a bunch of different pedals. Would this type of setup work with my new amp? Or am i better off just buying individual pedals. Sorry if any of this is completely wrong or nonsensical, i'm new to pedals and head/cab setups. Thanks a bunch!

I think you are on the right track. Pedals can be a lot of fun to some people, but unless your needs are very specific a good multi-FX can do it more than well enough: people have been touring with units like this since the early nineties.

It would, in any case, not be a problem to use with your amp. I'd recommend the Line 6 HX Effects unit as a good compromise between features, sound quality and price (the obvious downside for you is that you would have to get an expression pedal separately for the reverb). Perhaps I should have started by asking: what is your budget?

Comment

Multi-effects has (to my ears) just gotten better and better, for every year...

I remember my first multi effect pedal, a Digitech RP100 from 2003. It was really cool for me , as a 13 year old beginner.-
      but the sounds were really ugly, and even when "bypassed" it killed the tone.

But recently, I've heard multi effects pedals that are so good, I could not tell it was not separate pedals. :o
      same with amp modeling.

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

The Line 6 M9 is a very capable multi-effects that sounds great. Good drives, modulations, and special effects. Some people like individual pedals, but I don't care- if it sounds good, I'll use it either way.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The most important thing to know is how important the effects will be to your tone. Will you be playing a lot of ambient, heavily-effected stuff, or just using them for color and keeping them in the background. Second question is how much do you like programming and how long is your attention span?

The second one might even be the more important question. Your willingness to scroll through menus and experiment versus just turning a knob will make a huge difference in which one will work for you. If your tone will be based around the effects, you may be better off buying individual pedals that do very specific things very, very well. If you just want to have all the options available, or enjoy tweaking patches and presets, then the multi is absolutely the way to go.

Comment

For me, there are a few factors. Do you want gain pedals? Wah pedal? I prefer those as standalone, simple pedals that you can easily bend down and adjust. For time based effects like reverb, delay, chorus, etc. it’s up to you. You can get excellent, professional level results with a number of products. There are a few effects that straddle the line, I’m thinking of Phase Shifter and Uni Vibe. If you are looking for the overall sound, they are there in the multieffects. If you are really particular, the stand alone pedals are the way to go.

Sirion introduced me to the TC Electronic G-System a while ago. You get a floor controller, a rack or pedalboard mounted “head” and a few loops for standalone pedals that the unit can switch. Take your Mesa (it’ll switch channels for you) add a couple of drive pedals and the G-System and you’ve got a killer, easy to transport rig.

The other thing, if you only ever use a Tube Screamer and a slap back delay, I’d say two pedals is a lot simpler than a big multieffects!
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
              I think you are on the right track. Pedals can be a lot of fun to some people, but unless your needs are very specific a good multi-FX can do it more than well enough: people have been touring with units like this since the early nineties.

It would, in any case, not be a problem to use with your amp. I'd recommend the Line 6 HX Effects unit as a good compromise between features, sound quality and price (the obvious downside for you is that you would have to get an expression pedal separately for the reverb). Perhaps I should have started by asking: what is your budget?
              Just something reasonable. I'm not gigging or tracking anything. I'm just a hobbyist. So something basic that will get the job done and sound decent. Something that wouldn't be over 300 dollars would be perfect if you have any recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                The most important thing to know is how important the effects will be to your tone. Will you be playing a lot of ambient, heavily-effected stuff, or just using them for color and keeping them in the background. Second question is how much do you like programming and how long is your attention span?

The second one might even be the more important question. Your willingness to scroll through menus and experiment versus just turning a knob will make a huge difference in which one will work for you. If your tone will be based around the effects, you may be better off buying individual pedals that do very specific things very, very well. If you just want to have all the options available, or enjoy tweaking patches and presets, then the multi is absolutely the way to go.
                I do not mind programming at all. I love to mess with all the setting possible with all my gear to get a desired tone so attention span is not a concern. And I just want some effects to add flavor when i want it. Really don't rely on them too much when I'm playing. To be honest the effect i use a lot is a tube screamer/ Overdrive. Everything else is in the background and subtle

Comment

$300, the Line6 M9..if you really search, you might be able to find an HX Effects at that price via private sale.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                    For me, there are a few factors. Do you want gain pedals? Wah pedal? I prefer those as standalone, simple pedals that you can easily bend down and adjust. For time based effects like reverb, delay, chorus, etc. it’s up to you. You can get excellent, professional level results with a number of products. There are a few effects that straddle the line, I’m thinking of Phase Shifter and Uni Vibe. If you are looking for the overall sound, they are there in the multieffects. If you are really particular, the stand alone pedals are the way to go.

Sirion introduced me to the TC Electronic G-System a while ago. You get a floor controller, a rack or pedalboard mounted “head” and a few loops for standalone pedals that the unit can switch. Take your Mesa (it’ll switch channels for you) add a couple of drive pedals and the G-System and you’ve got a killer, easy to transport rig.

The other thing, if you only ever use a Tube Screamer and a slap back delay, I’d say two pedals is a lot simpler than a big multieffects!
                    Really glad you like it! I still love mine, and I think the effects are better than the best Line 6 can do to this day. I am reluctant to recommend it to a newcomer, though, as it is something of a pain to set up, and he would still need external overdrive/distortion pedals. I don't know if it'll like his FX loop, but Mesa usually have very well-constructed loops.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post

Really glad you like it! I still love mine, and I think the effects are better than the best Line 6 can do to this day. I am reluctant to recommend it to a newcomer, though, as it is something of a pain to set up, and he would still need external overdrive/distortion pedals. I don't know if it'll like his FX loop, but Mesa usually have very well-constructed loops.
                      I may have misled you, I ended up getting a great deal on a G Major 2 and GCX/GCP combo. I’m using it for a little more creative switching than the G-System is capable of. If I had a more traditional setup I think my choice may have been different.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Episcum View Post

I do not mind programming at all. I love to mess with all the setting possible with all my gear to get a desired tone so attention span is not a concern. And I just want some effects to add flavor when i want it. Really don't rely on them too much when I'm playing. To be honest the effect i use a lot is a tube screamer/ Overdrive. Everything else is in the background and subtle
                        Based on this, see if you can track down Mincer's recommendation of the Line 6 M9. It has high quality effects and will leave you with enough options that you may not need another pedal for a long time. You have a high quality amp, so matching with a high quality multifx pedal will be rewarding!

If you want something a little more budget friendly, check out a Zoom G3n. You can tweak each of the three stomps pretty easily, it had a nice control layout. Not sure where you are located, but here in Canada you can snag one new for $220.

Until you really figure out which specific effects you use the most, and start to narrow down on the sound you want from that effect, you are best to get something decent that will give you a taste of everything IMO.

I've never owned a multifx myself. So when I started building up my collection it was based on songs I liked, verbal and internet research. My first pedal was a Boss DD-3, and then came the BF-2 flanger because I had read that it was smoother and more transparent than the newer BF-3. There are PLENTY of other flangers out there that cost much more and probably get more range, but I hunted down one of the BF-2 and still get everything I want from it more than a decade later.

Moral of the story is, seek out a multifx now and perhaps you will never need one-trick pedals if you like what it can do.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Last edited by Metalman_666; 08-10-2020, 05:50 PM.
                        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                        • G&L Tribute Comanche
                        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

There are also multi FX units which behave like separate pedals, just all in a single small chassis. The Flyrig is one example.
                          Cheaper similar pedals exist. I got a used Mooer Red Truck for $100 as a backup pedalboard, just in case.

The NUX Cerberus is similar but it offers 16 effects and preset memory.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

I may have misled you, I ended up getting a great deal on a G Major 2 and GCX/GCP combo. I’m using it for a little more creative switching than the G-System is capable of. If I had a more traditional setup I think my choice may have been different.
                            Gotcha. Oh well, I'm happy to have made ever so slight a contribution to somebody else's journey still!

Comment

Originally posted by Episcum View Post
                              Hey there. I'm very new to effect pedals and stuff. My whole playing time has been spent on a Peavey Vypyr VIP1. I recently bought a Mesa/Boogie Mini Recto 25 with matching 1x12 cab. Im looking to build up a pedal board with it mainly consisting of basics. (Reverb, Delay, OD/Distortion, Wah). I was looking at a multi effects pedal. My train of thought being that I could get a lot of effects in one space and not buy a bunch of different pedals. Would this type of setup work with my new amp? Or am i better off just buying individual pedals. Sorry if any of this is completely wrong or nonsensical, i'm new to pedals and head/cab setups. Thanks a bunch!
                              OD & Wah are two effects that leave a lot to be desired in the cheaper multifx realm. There are boat load of od/dist pedals out there in regular & mini pedal formats, a ton of Chinese clones that cost around $35 bucks new, any of those would work a hell of a lot nicer in front of the minirec you just got. Even isolated power supplies are cheap & a 1
                              Spot should work fine to power just a wah & few od pedals without noise issues. For wah on the cheaper & versatile side I'd look at AMT wh1 and dunlop 535qs mini or full size ones.

For mods & time based fx you have plenty of mfx options that can work, zoom ms70cdr is a small pedal mfx that can be left in the loop of the amp for these fx, or a proper multifx like a used zoom g3, l6 m9, etc. are budget friendly options that will give you some fun to have around. Once you decide if there is a specific modulation effect you like to use often than the rest then eventually you can get a dedicated pedal for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X