NPD: TC Plethora X5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
    Looks like the newest firmware actually DID expand the MIDI options a bit. Instead of just being able to change boards via MIDI, you can now (if I'm understanding this correctly) individually trigger each pedal via MIDI. Nothing on controlling individual parameters yet, though. If that's even a thing. Like I said, I really don't know anything about MIDI.

MIDI, as it implemented in many multi-effects, allows this. As far as the Plethora goes, my guess is that it was released before being fully realized (like a lot of products these days), and the hope is that they will add features in upcoming months. The key is using it a lot, and figuring out what features you want, and letting the company know. This is the way many products develop.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Speaking of twisting something to work the way I want it to, rather than how it's presented: the multiband compressor turns out to be a pretty decent EQ and boost. I think it's kicking one of my dirt pedals off the board, because I was only using that pedal as EQ and to goose the front of the amp a tiny bit.

Now to decide whether the Sub'n'up can take the place of my Bit Commander. It's not the same, but...it might be close enough.
      ---------------------------
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I've used compressors as a boost for years. It works really well, and you don't have to have everything so squishy. It isn't good for something like a Boss or Armstrong compressor, but many others (especially with a blend knob) make excellent boost pedals.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah, high threshold, low ratio and then your makeup gain becomes boost. My monkey brain can handle that.

But multiband compressors, the few times I've messed with them, kinda make my head hurt trying to figure them out. I'm only using the presets here right now, but there's some DEEPLY serious tone shaping going on. Like "make a dark guitar TOO bright" serious. So I think I'm gonna need to learn.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I've used compressors as a boost for years. It works really well, and you don't have to have everything so squishy.
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

Further thoughts:

-I kinda HATE to admit this, but the L->R thing is easy to adapt to. Especially since putting my drive pedals in the effects loop of the Plethora and having that loop change positions depending on the board means that the physical location of the pedals means less than it ever has.

- I wish it had an EQ pedal. As mentioned, the compressor can be bent that way, but it's an overly complex solution.

- The preset boards are mostly useless. This is a pedal you need to set up for yourself. And since it's actually 12-13 pedals, with crazy amounts of tweaking available under the hood and rearrangeable with the flick of a switch... There's a learning curve.

Comment

The thing I hoped it could do is a dry kill, so that I could use it in a parallel effects loop. Any idea if this can do that? Other than that, it looks like it is a great platform. Thanks!

Cole
              Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

Looks like yes, but you can only access it in the app? From there, you can assign it to be controllable via the MASH button or am external expression pedal.

Even though they're calling that Kill Dry, I'm not sure it works when the pedal is bypassed, though, which makes it more of a 100% wet switch...

Sorry, not enough coffee in me to figure this one out yet.

Originally posted by ColeJustesen View Post
                The thing I hoped it could do is a dry kill, so that I could use it in a parallel effects loop. Any idea if this can do that? Other than that, it looks like it is a great platform. Thanks!

Cole

Comment

Thanks for the information. I might have to reach out to TC Electronic for more specifics. I imagine this would work great in front of my Hughes & Kettner Puretone.

Cole
                  Budda Superdrive II 30, 45, V40, Baby Budda| H&K Duotone | Laney GH100L | Peters Halo/Hydra | Rivera M100 | |Rocktron Vendetta 100 | VHT Pittbull 100/CL]

Comment

Working...
                  X