Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The
    Originally posted by Gold star View Post

The least expensive ? depends. A good many sell for $ 150 to $200 ..Then there was the time when Klo Centaurs were goig for up to $3000-used. I think the Boss DS 1 is a very good pedal and quite reasonable
    Klon was out of production which made it highly sort after, not yoemtion the list of players having used was huge, that's why the price increased dramatically. Same with old boss pedals that are vintage or out of production.

The ones that cost in $150-$200 range are most often handmade or from boutique makers. There are many builders out there that make clones of them for half to less than half those prices.

I would rather want to have a specific drive pedal that I like the sound of thann compared to one a manufacture pre-installed in the amp that doesn't respond the way I want with the amp & I have to pay added costs to the amp manufacturers for including it inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Gold star View Post

The least expensive ? depends. A good many sell for $ 150 to $200 ..Then there was the time when Klo Centaurs were goig for up to $3000-used. I think the Boss DS 1 is a very good pedal and quite reasonable
      The Klon is a bad example I am talking about MRSP not collector's prices. You can get int to a quality unit for $20 these days. Delay and modulation effects even at the budget price are typically more expensive. On the high-end, they can get ridiculous with many getting into the $400 - $600 range new.

Comment

For me, Boost/OD/Distortion/Fuzz are all such a personal preference that I'd hate to be "stuck" with the one built-in to an amp. Or, be stuck with just one. So for me, outboard is the way to go.

Comment

My Carvin Belair has a drive channel that sounds like a DS1, it's all diode clipping

My Bugera G5 has a drive stage that again sounds like diode clipping

My Laney GC80A is solid state and it drive stage is most likely diodes as well

Amp makers have been putting in overdrive pedals for the drive section for years now

It may not be the flavor you want.
          but they are in there.

Peavey does this as well with their tube amps
          tube distortion is a myth

Most manufacturers use pedal circuits to boost the signal to the tube already in the amp
          same as the pedal guys do
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            My Carvin Belair has a drive channel that sounds like a DS1, it's all diode clipping

Amp makers have been putting in overdrive pedals for the drive section for years now

but they are in there.

Most manufacturers use pedal circuits to boost the signal to the tube already in the amp
            I don't know about "most" but some do, that's for sure.

First one I was aware of was the Marshall Jubilee that came out 30 or 40 years ago.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

but they are in there.

But none of them are actual built in pedals though like OP is talking about. Just because they are using opamp, diodes or LED for clipping doesn't mean they are actual pedals built in. Modelers don't count either.

Comment

With the multitude of overdrive pedals available, building one in seems to “lock” you into a specific sound.

Overdrive, Boost, Fuzz, Distortion, many different ways to hit the front of the amp differently. Different EQ, compression, clipping, etc.

Also, I used to be in the “tube amp clipping is best” camp, until I actually played a bunch of other things. A Tube Screamer hitting a Fender tube amp sounds absolutely fantastic. It pushes the first gain stage, focuses the signal with more mids, less bass, and adjustable cut in the tone control. Only a little bit of clipping, you aren’t really looking for the distortion of the TS onto a crystal clean amp, it’s the interaction that makes it great.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Of course there are none with built in pedals. A pedal would be outside the amp not in it.
                  “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    For me, Boost/OD/Distortion/Fuzz are all such a personal preference that I'd hate to be "stuck" with the one built-in to an amp. Or, be stuck with just one. So for me, outboard is the way to go.
                    Agreed. Surprisingly, I can plug straight into my Fender Frontman 100 and enjoy the onboard drive and boosted tones, but when I put a Wampler Dual Fusion in front, it really starts getting fun. Or the Chicago Stompworks TS/Maestro box... or my SolidGoldFX Beta... or my modded DS-1...
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

If an overdrives pedal circuit is "inside"
                      I consider that

Pedal inside
                      Just saying

Semantics that differentiate between pedals and amps are just that

Amps with drive sections
                      Do so with clipping circuits similar to pedals
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

This is probably why I always liked power amp distortion better than diode/LED/preamp (although I use those too). Power amp distortion isn't practical in a lot of situations.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For some reason, when I find an amp with killer overdrive/dirt whatever, I hang on to it forever.

Some of my favorite built-in dirt amps are the Traynor Custom Blue 50 (with stock tubes or KT77s but especially KT77s), Laney's Cub12, almost every Marshall I have ever played or owned (sold these years ago... big mistake), a lot of premium Fender amps (especially Hot Rod Deluxe), anything from Mesa, almost anything from Orange and now... my H&K GM 40 Deluxe as well.

When it comes to amps, premium models are worth every penny, but I do consider the Traynor and lower end Laney stuff to be stellar for the price.
                          Last edited by Snake Aces; 08-27-2020, 12:34 PM.
                          Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            My old Marshall head (JCM900 MkIII) had a diode rectifier in the pre-amp stage somewhere between the first and second preamp tube. It may have even been between the first and second half of the V1, can't recall without looking at the schematic. It was kinda like an overdrive built in. Had it's own gain knob (went from 11-20, continuing from where the preamp gain 1-10 left off). Killer sounding amp and the way it was designed really made it work great. Nothing was lost.
                            Yep owned several of those over the years GREAT amps! One gain was all tube the other added the clip diodes. With the tube side only it sounded like a JCM 800 and the diodes was like using a really good pedal. trick was to find the right balance between the 2.

My 1991 Carvin X 50 B factory Hot Rod Mod head is similar. Has a push pull on the gain that drops a 20 DB gain boost with clip diodes in when it's engaged. Sounds like a good JCM 800 Marshall on just the tube gain then is very Soldano like with the Hot Rod Mod engaged. There are many amps out there that are like this the JCM 900 SLX is another good example. It's based off the MK III JCM 900 Dual Master just adds another tube gain stage.
                            Last edited by Ascension; 08-28-2020, 10:11 PM.
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I'm getting a great, "unique" and ... inspiring tone;

by running my Electro Harmonix "Octavix" fuzzbox, set at moderate settings- into a medium-gain OD channel of my Blackstar Ht-20!

It makes the sound gnarly, saggy- blooming... violin-like! I like it so much, I can't use the amp/OD channel alone, without a touch of the fuzz pedal infront!

-Erl
                              If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X