banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would a DigiTech Drop fair against a real drop B & a real baritone guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would a DigiTech Drop fair against a real drop B & a real baritone guitar?

This is a comparison between the Digitech Drop transposed guitar sound to drop B versus a real drop B guitar and a real baritone Ibanez RGIB6 guitar.

How would the Digitech Drop fair?

You may jump back and forth to the following for your perusal:
    0:21 Original track in standard tuning (drop D is my standard) on a Yamaha eg112c2 guitar
    1:47 Digitech Drop engaged to transpose tune to drop B on same Yamaha eg112c2 guitar
    3:17 Tuned to drop B with thicker strings on same Yamaha eg112c2 guitar
    4:47 Real baritone Ibanez RGIB6 guitar

Description from the DigiTech website:
    The DigiTech® Drop is a dedicated polyphonic drop tune pedal that allows you to drop your tuning from one semitone all the way down to a full octave. Get down-tuned chunk without having to change guitars! The Drop also features a momentary/latching switch. With the switch set to momentary, you can turn the Drop into a true performance pedal. Fast trills and roller-coaster pitch dips are at the tip of your toes.

Effects:
    Headrush Gigboard

Guitars used:
    Yamaha eg112c2, nickname - "Gemini"
    Modified with a GM Railbucker bridge and a Fleor single coil sized rail humbucker neck with no tone circuit.

Ibanez RGIB6
    Modified with
    Seymour Duncan TB-6 Duncan Distortion Trembucker Pickup bridge
    Seymour Duncan SH-10n Full Shred Neck Humbucker
    No tone circuit

Dragon's Heart Guitar Picks "Pure"

Well...

One thing is the sound;

another thing is the FEEL :o

I guess it depends, if you're planning on using the guitar as a SOLO instrument, with all it's nuances and character in front;

or in the "back" of a mix, where it's barely audible.

My personal experience, is that a tuner pedal/software can never "make " a E-E electric guitar, into a baritone.

(but sound similar, and quite good, yes)

-Erlend
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
      Well...

One thing is the sound;

another thing is the FEEL :o

I guess it depends, if you're planning on using the guitar as a SOLO instrument, with all it's nuances and character in front;

or in the "back" of a mix, where it's barely audible.

My personal experience, is that a tuner pedal/software can never "make " a E-E electric guitar, into a baritone.

(but sound similar, and quite good, yes)

-Erlend
      I agree. I see this as a live gig tool so one doesn't have to bring multiple guitars. I am not sure about using it for recording... but it does sound close!
      Last edited by littlebadboy; 08-29-2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Ime, to drop a half step or 2 works pretty good but the further you drop the worse it sounds. It takes more processing power to take a standard tuned guitar down to B and it tends to get muddy and there is a noticeable lag.

Comment

It all sounds really digital and processed either way, I figure it's just the amp/VSTs/modeler or whatever being used. I find the digitech whammy and drop tune very digital/processed sounding but that's one thing I love about them. I like synth, pitch shifter, octave pedals so definitely not complaining about the obvious digital artifacts that come along with them (I use an HX Stomp for all those needs). Anyways, the difference seems to be less noticeable between the 2 on modeling systems since it's all digitally processed either way, and in a full mix it's pretty darn close.

Comment

I used to try that with a Whammy 4. The guitar feels totally dead, like a keyboard triggering sounds.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

One thing that you’ll miss using the Drop is the effect of the speaker creating sound waves which directly resonate acoustically with the guitar, in the room; feedback won’t be the same as if the guitar was really tuned that low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              >Matt

http://www.soundcloud.com/mattherman
              http://www.soundcloud.com/stormdoor
              http://www.soundcloud.com/disonova

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                Ime, to drop a half step or 2 works pretty good but the further you drop the worse it sounds. It takes more processing power to take a standard tuned guitar down to B and it tends to get muddy and there is a noticeable lag.
                that was my experience with the pedal as well...down a half step to a full step was convincing, octaves were fine, but going lower than that gave it an artificial feel.

that said the video sounded more convincing than i expected. i suppose listening to it is a wildly different experience than actually playing it and feeling the weird disconnect between the organic feel of your playing and the synthesized low tones you're creating!
                Quality riffs in about a minute...
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

They both sound like mud to me. There is definitely a difference, but I couldn't tell which was which

Comment

Working...
                  X