banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

YES - "Owner of a Lonely Heart" vs Asia - "Heat of the Moment".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    While were talking about YES, they had a nice cover of The Beatles "Every Little Thing" on (what I think was) their 1st album. I originally had it on 8-Track and the album cover was different. I've since lost the 8-track but found it again on vinyl. That 8-track might be worth some money today. Regardless, it's a great song cover.
    They did a handful of covers on their 1st two albums, and they were a pretty different band then. Still great stuff- their guitarist at the time, a jazzy Rickenbacker player named Peter Banks, was really, really good.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

They did a handful of covers on their 1st two albums, and they were a pretty different band then. Still great stuff- their guitarist at the time, a jazzy Rickenbacker player named Peter Banks, was really, really good.
      Yup. But the distinctive vocals of Jon Anderson are there. Ergo, they still sound like YES.

Comment

Yup. But the distinctive vocals of Jon Anderson are there. Ergo, they still sound like YES.
        Indeed. And Chris Squire's crazy bass playing.

Comment

I'll answer the original question "YES". No, that's confusing. "BOTH".
          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

A case for ASIA...here is a later-period ASIA track with all 4 original members. Steve Howe gets a great sound out of his ES Artist, and his playing is excellent.

Comment

Those four musicians worked very well together.
              Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
              https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
              Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Were those pedals or amps? If so, which pedals? Or dies this belong in the amp room???

I gotta go Owner on this one - but I prefer the Asia Album. Both are pretty great.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

In the 80s we would hang out in Mooradian Guitars and Jim would show us the basses he would be building for Chris Squire. Side note Pat Badger bass player for Extreme worked there at the time.

Comment

thats a cool lookin bass

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      thats a cool lookin bass
                      If you look close you can see that the original design came from Jim taking a jigsaw to a Jazz Bass. Also, the design on the bass is CS, Chris' initials.

Comment

I love that bass...especially how it is a stylized 'C' & 'S'. That neck looks tiny in his giant hands. He was a big dude.

A side note, here is one of the best modern Yes tunes, released earlier this year...the last recordings with Chris Squire. Great Mini Moog solo by Rick Wakeman's son, Oliver.

Comment

I love that bass...especially how it is a stylized 'C' & 'S'. That neck looks tiny in his giant hands. He was a big dude.

A side note, here is one of the best modern Yes tunes, released earlier this year...the last recordings with Chris Squire. Great Mini Moog solo by Rick Wakeman's son, Oliver.
                          That was sweet. Benoit David really captures the Jon Anderson vibe there. (I had to look it up to see if it was him.)

Comment

That was sweet. Benoit David really captures the Jon Anderson vibe there. (I had to look it up to see if it was him.)
                            Interesting thing is when he doesn't try to sound like Jon Anderson, he has a great voice in the lower register. It gets away from the Yes sound, but it is really good.

Comment

I've heard his name before. I'll have to "Google" him to see what else he's done.

Comment

90125 might be the best rock album in the 80s. It is solid from beginning to end. Great tunes and production (with some amazing guitar sounds on there).
                                I actually did this reading this thread. Had it on vynayyl, then CD, now digital.

That album flew by, and it was indeed excellent...
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X