banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good distortion pedal for a modded-Marshall type sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ToneBone "Hot British", my friend used one while we had our band "the Spotbang Quartet" in our teens .

I don't know if they're made anymore. But they had one valve, and alot of tone sculpting options. A hot-rodded british sound, with tons of gain.

-Erl
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
      Hey folks. thanks for all the suggestions. It took a lot of video watching, but I made a decision.

I wound up purchasing a lightly used Friedman BE-OD deluxe off Reverb and it seems to be a great match for my needs and my rig! My Quilter plays nice with it, I like the 2 channels, and it seems to have the right amount of tweakability for what I like.

Thanks everyone! Case closed... for now.
      Let us know how well this achieves your goal when it shows up!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i like the Tech 21 hot rod plexi and Wampler Pinnacle

Comment

Hey folks. thanks for all the suggestions. It took a lot of video watching, but I made a decision.

I wound up purchasing a lightly used Friedman BE-OD deluxe off Reverb and it seems to be a great match for my needs and my rig! My Quilter plays nice with it, I like the 2 channels, and it seems to have the right amount of tweakability for what I like.

Thanks everyone! Case closed... for now.
          I think you made a good decision.
          The Friedman product line is top shelf.

Comment

Hey folks. Any recommendations for a good modded-Marshall type distortion/overdrive pedal? Looking for a sound that is hard rock and 90s alternative with a dash of old-school metal. I'd like EQ (but not mandatory if the basic tone is right on) and something with an amp-like feel. Currently thinking of a Friedman BE-OD, Wampler Sovereign, and possibly a Keeley DS-1 Ultra.

I'm changing my rig up a bit and going into a clean Quilter (which sounds fantastic on it's own, btw). I haven't had to rely on pedal-only distortion for 10+ years so I'm playing catch-up here!

LMK what y'all think.
            JHS Angry Charley or the BOSS Angry Driver.

Rumor has it, the Joyo Uzi is a solid clone of the Friedman pedal you listed.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              i only own a dls mkii, but ive played both the red and mkiii. i prefer the superbass mode in both as well for a more jtm45 type thing. the red has more gain and a more aggressive tone in both modes, id still use the super bass mode but it shifts the mid focus up a bit. not as much as the superlead mode. to my ears and with my limited experience the superbass mode on the red is between the two modes on the mkiii
              Jeremy,

Thanks for your opinion, it makes me want to give the red version a trial run along side my mkiii.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
              And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

check out the "Fender MTG Tube" pedal as well, it has a tube in it and sounds a little more authentic to my ears

Comment

It's funny that distortion pedals are such a dirt simple circuit. (No pun intended.) And yet, there are so many different flavors of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    It's funny that distortion pedals are such a dirt simple circuit. (No pun intended.) And yet, there are so many different flavors of it.
                    True, but guitarist split hairs like crazy. Hundreds of dollars for minute changes in sound.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yup. I probably have a dozen or so, myself. They ARE fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

True, but guitarist split hairs like crazy. Hundreds of dollars for minute changes in sound.
                        You would think that sooner or later we would learn.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Too bad the Suhr Riot came to mind too late.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            I'd bet that something by AMT could also fit the bill. Especially going into a Quilter. That's right, the M2. https://amt-sales.com/preamps/preamps-la-2/amt-m2/

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                            I picked up an AMT M2 not long ago. With a TS-style OD out front to tighten up the low end, it sounds great for high-gain Marshall tones when used as a preamp running into an FX return.

Comment

Been using a plain old Fulltone OCD as a pseudo dirty channel for a number of years. It does dynamics well, even with the Gain maxed, which is how I usually run it. Hit that with a TS clone, Foxx Tone Machine clone or a Ram's Head Muff clone for any variety of sludgy doom, shoegaze or whacked out, feedback wall of fuzz tones that were popular in the 90s.

I've been interested in the recommendations in this thread because I think I'm ready to change it up a little. Marshall-style pedal that reacts to dynamics and other drive pedals like an amp's front end is what I need.

Looking forward to checking out some pedals mentioned.

Comment

Another cool pedal worth mentioning is the DryBell "Engine" pedal. They did a very nice job with it and I can see a lot of people getting a lot of mileage out of it. Dawner Prince has a couple of options that are nice as well depending on what Marshall tone you are after.
                                The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Working...
                                X