Pedal Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal Problem

Yesterday i bought a used MXR JHM1 Fuzz Face anniversary and it looks brand new. The guy that sold me said he tried it the day before and it worked perfectly. But i connected it to some universal adapter (which i use and my other pedals are working) that was on 12V and the LED on adapter shutted off. I have signal and sound from the amp but when i press the pedal there is no sound, no LED on pedal, nothing. I put the adapter on 9V and again it dosen't work...I tried it with 9V battery, still no sound and the baterry heated up very fast. Did i destroy it? Wouldn't like that to happened, it's a cool pedal. Does it need a specific power suplier and will it work? Anybody had simillar problem?

Specs say 9V. Not sure what damage could have happened by running 12V into it. I would have thought it would only draw 9V though 12V was available, but it could have damaged it.

Input Impedance 10kΩ
    Output Impedance
    Max Volume
    2kΩ
    Mid Volume
    50kΩ
    Max Output -6dB
    V
    Max Gain 45dB
    Current Draw 3.4mA
    Power Requirement 9 volts DC

Comment

millivolts* work like a reservoir where the pedal draws what it needs, voltage is different. plugging a 12v power supply into a 9v pedal can fry it.

edit: i meant milliamps. so if a pedal is 9v 100mA, the power supply can have any amount of ma as long as it's over 100; the pedal will only draw what it needs. Voltage, however, needs to be correct or you risk damaging the pedal. That is to say, it won't only draw 9v from an 18v power supply, it will be hit with twice as much voltage and likely be damaged.
      Last edited by superpete; 10-23-2020, 11:15 AM.
      Quality riffs in about a minute...
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Also I don’t know that pedal specifically but fuzz face style fuzzes (which I think that is?) often need center negative power instead of the regular center positive. Gonna need a tech for this one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Originally posted by Jakob Dylan
        It's a little gross to put yourself in every song. I mean, how interesting do people really think you are?
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Paris Hilton's psychiatrist... Now that's gotta be an easy job. Kinda like being an auto mechanic in an Amish community.

Comment

But what does it mean? Did I burn it and if i did can it be fixed?

Comment

Kinda sounds like you killed it. Not sure what/if it could be repaired.
            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400
            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
              millivolts work like a reservoir where the pedal draws what it needs, voltage is different. plugging a 12v power supply into a 9v pedal can fry it.
              I think you meant milliamps there. And yes, voltage is the "pressure" applied. Current is "drawn out" based on that pressure.

Comment

The good news is that there are very few components in a fuzz face. Take a look at the circuit board. You're looking for anything that looks brown/dark (like it caught on fire). If this doesn't work, stick your nose right up against each component and sniff deeply. You can often identify the burned out component by smelling it. Then it's just a matter of finding a replacement from the electronics shop and soldering it back in.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Can you try it with a fresh battery?
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i bet ya fried it but im sure it can be fixed

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I think you meant milliamps there. And yes, voltage is the "pressure" applied. Current is "drawn out" based on that pressure.
                      me??? make a mistake??? no...never! that was a test, and you passed!!!

yeah you're right. i meant milliamps.
                      Quality riffs in about a minute...
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          Can you try it with a fresh battery?
                          I tried the same battery on other pedals and they work

Comment

right. im guessing you fried it. open it up and take a look. there arent many components in a fuzzface so you may be able to see what fried

Comment

Like many have said, it is only rated for 9V and 12V probably fried something. My guess is there is a 9.1V zener diode from the adapter input to ground that blew from trying to dump too much voltage (the ~3 extra V) and is now a short to ground. Unfortunately, if that is the rectangular box fuzz, it may be all SMT components so you may need to find someone that can deal with those.

Comment

Working...
                              X