banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can guitar pedals with huge gain damage the next pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can guitar pedals with huge gain damage the next pedal?

I have a DOD Carcoza Fuzz and it can go really really loud. Funny thing because according to the manual the current draw is only 4 mA. I'm a bit worried if I accidentally turn it to max, if I could damage the next pedal.

You should be fine, what the pedal uses to operate and the signal leaving the pedal are different, if Im not mistaken. I run my Dracarys into a MXR Phase 95 without any issues.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Negative ghost rider your next pedal will be fine.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I've never heard this happening, unless you hooked up a speaker output of an amp into the input of a pedal. You will be fine.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance, everybody. I have no equipment to measure the actual output. To my ears, straight into a cheap practice amp, that fuzz pedal can easily do something like 10 times the volume of guitar-only. Much more than other pedals I own. According to the manual, the output impedance of the 9V pedal is 10k Ohm, the power consumption is 4mA. Would that high volume be conveyed in large voltages with very small currents? And if so, could that cause an issue with dulling the sound with long cables? My knowledge about electrics is too low to make much sense of what is going on.

Comment

How long of a cable are we talking here. A really long or thin, cheap cable will lose a lil bit of tone over the lengtj of the cable. If you have a good quality cable you should be fine
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Nah

Unless you use a pedalboard power amp and mix up the plugs, then maybe
              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                You should be fine, what the pedal uses to operate and the signal leaving the pedal are different, if Im not mistaken. I run my Dracarys into a MXR Phase 95 without any issues.
                Hate to derail but how do you like the Dracarys? I have been eyeing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Hate to derail but how do you like the Dracarys? I have been eyeing them.
                  Started a new thread so not to jam this one up.

Now back to your regularly scheduled program.
                  Jackson Soloist 7 string
                  ESP LTD M-400

Comment

A really long or thin, cheap cable will lose a lil bit of tone over the length of the cable
                    How much tone do you loose for a 10-12 foot cable? Is it significant or barely noticeable?

Also, what is the longest cable one can have without loosing tone? Or is there a particular cable brand that doesn't loose tone?

This is something I have heard of but am not too familiar with so would be great to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Spirit of 76 View Post

How much tone do you loose for a 10-12 foot cable? Is it significant or barely noticeable?

Also, what is the longest cable one can have without loosing tone? Or is there a particular cable brand that doesn't loose tone?

This is something I have heard of but am not too familiar with so would be great to know.
                      I wouldn't notice any kind of tone loss with 10-12 feet. Maybe 30 feet I'd start hearing it. But it also depends on the quality of cable. Cheap, molded end ones will degrade the signal in a shorter distance.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I wouldn't notice any kind of tone loss with 10-12 feet. Maybe 30 feet I'd start hearing it. But it also depends on the quality of cable. Cheap, molded end ones will degrade the signal in a shorter distance.
                        Yep what Mincer said.
                        Jackson Soloist 7 string
                        ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Ok, thanks.

Is there a brand that you'd recommend as a "Top Quality" Cable? I just use whatever my local Sam Ash has on the shelf, but if there are cables that improve sound quality, or just work better overall, I would buy them.

On a side note, I picked up one of these Cabli (guitar cable winders) at the end of last year and I really like it. They are not expensive and work really well if anyone is looking for a system to keep you cables more organized - https://www.amazon.com/Cabli-Fast-Or.../dp/B07WYCR42L

Comment

Pig Hog, Dimarzio, Diaddario, any decent name brand cable will work. Currently I have a couple PIg Hog and a Dimarzio cable.

For my cables, I use a velcro cable tie, works really well. Glad the Cabli works for ya.
                            Jackson Soloist 7 string
                            ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Pig Hog, Dimarzio, Diaddario, any decent name brand cable will work. Currently I have a couple PIg Hog and a Dimarzio cable.

For my cables, I use a velcro cable tie, works really well. Glad the Cabli works for ya.
                              Ok cool, thanks. I appreciate the recommendations. I'll check those out next time I am at the store.

Comment

Working...
                              X