Stacking Klones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by formula73 View Post

Nah, nobody ever does that. It’s your way or the highway.
    I don't know about that. But I will say that Eddie Van Halen never used a distortion pedal. Let alone needed to stack them. But go ahead and buzz if you want to. I sure don't GAF.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

I don't know about that. But I will say that Eddie Van Halen never used a distortion pedal. Let alone needed to stack them. But go ahead and buzz if you want to. I sure don't GAF.
      Well since EVH was the only guitarist that ever mattered to anybody, ever...
      Last edited by formula73; 11-21-2020, 09:12 PM.

Comment

No - he just used a completely modded Marshall all Variac'd etc. so let's don't act like he just plugged straight into a JCM 800 and made that sound.With the exception of a Flanger and Phaser pedal, everything in his signal chain between his fingers and the speakers was worked over, modded, tweaked, and god knows what else.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Is this stacking overdrives an internet bedroom player thing only? Or are there actually well known pros doing it as well?
          You are kidding me, right? Here is the Rev's set up I would call him the king of gain staging. But I think he only used this set up at home.

Comment

its zz top, everything is about presentation on stage. theres a rig rundown that covers his setup. it sure aint a traditional blues setup but it doesnt have six expandoras. even if he had this as his "rig" im sure it was for show and marketing

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              its zz top, everything is about presentation on stage. theres a rig rundown that covers his setup. it sure aint a traditional blues setup but it doesnt have six expandoras. even if he had this as his "rig" im sure it was for show and marketing
              Yeah, no way I'd believe that diagram, or really, anything he told an interviewer about his rig.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                Exactly. That's all a joke. Schtick. He does have a pretty complicated rig though.

Comment

Bottomline is he and many other pros stack their overdrives

Comment

I've had fun doing it. But I've never NEEDED to do it. It was just for fun.

My first overdrive device was a Wollensak tape recorder.

There were no fuzz pedals or overdrive pedals available yet.

I plugged my guitar into the microphone input of my mom's Wollensak tape recorder (it had a PA setting) and then plugged one end of a guitar cord into the external speaker output and the other end into my Supro amplifier.

It made for a cool fuzz tone before the Maestro Fuzztone had shown up in music stores.

This would have been in the early 60's.

There was a Ventures tune called the 2000 Pound Bee that I liked.

They must have done something similar to get that sound.

Comment

David Gilmour was pretty well known for stacking gain pedals. A lot of his fuzz sounds are a big muff into a just slightly gainy powerbooster or tube driver. I'm not sure if he does it to combine the character of the two pedals, to add mids, to cut some of the wilder highs/lows . . . but he definitely does it.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I've had fun doing it. But I've never NEEDED to do it. It was just for fun.

My first overdrive device was a Wollensak tape recorder.

There were no fuzz pedals or overdrive pedals available yet.

I plugged my guitar into the microphone input of my mom's Wollensak tape recorder (it had a PA setting) and then plugged one end of a guitar cord into the external speaker output and the other end into my Supro amplifier.

It made for a cool fuzz tone before the Maestro Fuzztone had shown up in music stores.

This would have been in the early 60's.

There was a Ventures tune called the 2000 Pound Bee that I liked.

They must have done something similar to get that sound.

I think Ritchie Blackmore used his AIWA reel-to-reel for the preamp. Adds a bit of compression and overdrive before it hit the 200 watt Marshall Majors. I think he is still using it into his signature ENGL these days, although his modern tone isn't nearly as good.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                          David Gilmour was pretty well known for stacking gain pedals. A lot of his fuzz sounds are a big muff into a just slightly gainy powerbooster or tube driver. I'm not sure if he does it to combine the character of the two pedals, to add mids, to cut some of the wilder highs/lows . . . but he definitely does it.
                          Typically you are going to get more of the character of the second pedal. It really depends on how you are dialing them in. The big thing so people are missing is the gain in both pedals can be set very subtly. The goal is not always to get face-melting tones.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Typically you are going to get more of the character of the second pedal. It really depends on how you are dialing them in. The big thing so people are missing is the gain in both pedals can be set very subtly. The goal is not always to get face-melting tones.
                            As you said: only some people, too set in their ways to see any other.

Comment

Have never had much luck or need to stack pedals. I believe if the amp can't get me there or 90% there then I am on the wrong amp. In my experience, the more pedals you add the more potential problems you open yourself up to and the more noise you introduce. All these "problems" of course are fixable but why even go there?
                              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I'm surprised I didn't remember Eric Johnson! He stacks a Butler Tube Driver and Fuzz Face to get his signature violin tone. I use a Dover Drive to get a very similar tone and Eric hand a hand in the design of that pedal. At about 1:15 you can hear the violin tone.

And the violin tone is all through this old video. Stacked Tube Driver and Fuzz face. Kicks in at about the 1:00 mark. My Dover Drive gets real close to this tone without having to stack a Tube Driver and Fuzz face. Eric even uses a Dover Drive on his small, simple pedal board that he uses for clinics.

Last edited by Lewguitar; 11-23-2020, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X