Stacking Klones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
    Have never had much luck or need to stack pedals. I believe if the amp can't get me there or 90% there then I am on the wrong amp. In my experience, the more pedals you add the more potential problems you open yourself up to and the more noise you introduce. All these "problems" of course are fixable but why even go there?
    This is my view, too. But to be fair, I simply haven't bothered exploring it much. There is rarely an overdrive or amp that doesn't work for what I want.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I play with it a lot these days. But yes - I have always had either a single amp or pedal that did the job for me. But I totally understand what people are doing. They are essentially making unique multiple gain stages, which is what a great amp does.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

For me, it is all about sustain and touch sensitivity more than chasing tone. I would reference the solo in Comfortably Numb the notes go on forever.

Comment

dont know if i noticed the seymour duncan amps on stage for the live cliffs of dover clip.

also... does he actually stack the tube driver and the fuzz face? seems like his rig is clean rhythm (twin reverbs with delays and chorus) dirty rhythm (marshalls with tube screamer, fuzz face, flanger, and delay) then lead (marshalls with wah, echoplex, and tube driver)

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            dont know if i noticed the seymour duncan amps on stage for the live cliffs of dover clip.

also... does he actually stack the tube driver and the fuzz face? seems like his rig is clean rhythm (twin reverbs with delays and chorus) dirty rhythm (marshalls with tube screamer, fuzz face, flanger, and delay) then lead (marshalls with wah, echoplex, and tube driver)
            He does stack the Tube Driver into the Fuzzface into a Marshall for his normal lead tones. He uses the Tubescreamer into a Marshall for crunchy rhythm. These days he uses Twin Reverb amps converted into heads into Marshall cabs for his clean tones. I don't know if he uses his signature speakers or not. I've never heard him mention them in interviews. He does have some Vintage 30's in those Marshall cabs bu they're not all Vintage 30's. I forget what other speakers he uses. Maybe EV's or JBL's?

When I saw him in Fort Collins this winter I stood right at the front of the stage between sets and spent a few minutes checking out all of his stuff close up.

I've seen him a bunch of times though. That was the best band he's ever put together. Roscoe Beck on bass and Tom Brechtlein, who's played with Chick Corea and a jillion great bands, on drums and he had a second guitarist/keyboard player who could hold his own on guitar with any band. Forget his name but he played his a$$ off.
            Last edited by Lewguitar; 11-23-2020, 05:50 PM.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              David Gilmour was pretty well known for stacking gain pedals. A lot of his fuzz sounds are a big muff into a just slightly gainy powerbooster or tube driver. I'm not sure if he does it to combine the character of the two pedals, to add mids, to cut some of the wilder highs/lows . . . but he definitely does it.
              I think that he may have even used an MT-2 on the opening riff of "Sorrow".

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I think Ritchie Blackmore used his AIWA reel-to-reel for the preamp.
                My first "delay" was a Teac R2R using the delay time from the record head to the play head. It's still one of the sweetest delays I've ever heard.

But back on topic . . . a pair of Arion Tubulators, running in series, was a killer distortion sound. When MF was blowing them out for $10 ea., it was a sweet pedal for $20. I still have one.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

My first "delay" was a Teac R2R using the delay time from the record head to the play head. It's still one of the sweetest delays I've ever heard.

But back on topic . . . a pair of Arion Tubulators, running in series, was a killer distortion sound. When MF was blowing them out for $10 ea., it was a sweet pedal for $20. I still have one.
                  Something like that was my first delay & looper, too. I didn't realize that has been done for years by people like Brian Eno. But man, it sounded great.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

This is my view, too. But to be fair, I simply haven't bothered exploring it much. There is rarely an overdrive or amp that doesn't work for what I want.
                    That is what the channel switching button or the gain pot is for.

I hear ya though. I am just being silly but my point still stands.
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

He does stack the Tube Driver into the Fuzzface into a Marshall for his normal lead tones. He uses the Tubescreamer into a Marshall for crunchy rhythm. These days he uses Twin Reverb amps converted into heads into Marshall cabs for his clean tones. I don't know if he uses his signature speakers or not. I've never heard him mention them in interviews. He does have some Vintage 30's in those Marshall cabs bu they're not all Vintage 30's. I forget what other speakers he uses. Maybe EV's or JBL's?

When I saw him in Fort Collins this winter I stood right at the front of the stage between sets and spent a few minutes checking out all of his stuff close up.

I've seen him a bunch of times though. That was the best band he's ever put together. Roscoe Beck on bass and Tom Brechtlein, who's played with Chick Corea and a jillion great bands, on drums and he had a second guitarist/keyboard player who could hold his own on guitar with any band. Forget his name but he played his a$$ off.
                      ive only seen him twice but i swear the tube screamer and fuzzface were in his dirty rhythm chain. two a/b boxes. first for lead/rhythm, the second for dirty/clean rhythm. im sure there is a rig rundown some where that will tell us for sure.

not sure what he uses for his twins but i think he uses 30w celestions in the dirty rhythm cabs and 80w celestions in the lead cab

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        I think that he may have even used an MT-2 on the opening riff of "Sorrow".

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                        He used a Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal pedal for a while in the 80s and an MZ-2 Metallizer in the 90s. Never heard of him running an MT-2 though . . .
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

ive only seen him twice but i swear the tube screamer and fuzzface were in his dirty rhythm chain. two a/b boxes. first for lead/rhythm, the second for dirty/clean rhythm. im sure there is a rig rundown some where that will tell us for sure.

not sure what he uses for his twins but i think he uses 30w celestions in the dirty rhythm cabs and 80w celestions in the lead cab
                          I dunno...now ya got me thinking! I did find this review of the Dover Drive in which the reviewer says it "emulates Eric Johnson’s sound of stacking a Tube Driver with a Fuzz Face." Here's the review.

Hermida Audio Dover Drive | Tone Report

Eric has changed his rig a bunch over the years tho.
                          Last edited by Lewguitar; 11-24-2020, 07:14 PM.
                          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Working...
                          X