Noise gate / suppression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise gate / suppression

Is the Isp Gstring $ 130 bucks better than the decimator 2? Is their little decimate good enough or is there something else I should consider.

Guitar to noise gate to aby. Triple Crown/ JVM. Get 2 noise gates, one for each amp?
    JVM is getting one for sure.

Not so worried about hum. Really want a fast hard gate. I want a hammer to drop hard and fast. You know, 9.9 meters a second fast.

Any thoughts? Oh yeah, I use no effects. Just a Boss tuner, a radial aby, and a Boss looper.

Both seem to be more noise reduction pedals vs hard gates. If you want a gate that is that hard and obvious, look at something that does only that. Even a rack effect would be good, too.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I am a big fan of ISP stuff. I have been using them since they came out. I have the rack units and the pedals. Any of them will take away noise, hiss.
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post
        Is the Isp Gstring $ 130 bucks better than the decimator 2? Is their little decimate good enough or is there something else I should consider.

Guitar to noise gate to aby. Triple Crown/ JVM. Get 2 noise gates, one for each amp?
        JVM is getting one for sure.

Not so worried about hum. Really want a fast hard gate. I want a hammer to drop hard and fast. You know, 9.9 meters a second fast.

Any thoughts? Oh yeah, I use no effects. Just a Boss tuner, a radial aby, and a Boss looper.
        If it's anywhere before the amps, you don't know one for each side of the the ABY, because you are only gating the guitar itself at that point.

Sounds like you are using it more as an effect than noise reduction?

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

If it's anywhere before the amps, you don't know one for each side of the the ABY, because you are only gating the guitar itself at that point.

Sounds like you are using it more as an effect than noise reduction?
          Yes, an effect would probably be the way to say it.
          I may be wrong but noise suppression is removing a frequency always. Playing or not. Noise gate opens when playing letting everything through and closing when the guitar stops. That is what I am looking for.
          I don't mind the background noise while playing. I am looking for the fastest gate in the west. Sustain be damned.
          The decimator series always gets good reviews but I think it is suppression, maybe.
          If it gates the best which of the them would be the best choice? Or is there a better gate?

Comment

To me, either it works or it doesn't. I have boss NS-2 units as well but to me, they don't work as well as the ISP stuff.
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
              To me, either it works or it doesn't. I have boss NS-2 units as well but to me, they don't work as well as the ISP stuff.
              That seems to be what I'm reading. The boss seems to have a more detractors.

Comment

Originally posted by PS412 View Post

That seems to be what I'm reading. The boss seems to have a more detractors.
                I don't know the science behind all the stuff. To me, either it works or it doesn't. Either it kills the noise or it doesn't. The problem with the NS-2 in comparison is that it cuts off sustain. Nothing like throwing a little wiggle on a note to have it cut off. True, you can adjust the NS-2 to cut off later (or earlier) but then it doesn't handle the noise/hiss as well. The ISP will cut off sustain if you dial it in on a very extreme setting but it will always cut off the noise.. I run my proper tour rig which is a two amp set up and I can have it set to stadium level volume and stand right in front of my 4x12's and shake my guitar with strings un-muted and it is silent. I can then hit a note and hold it and let it ring out and it just rings. True, the rack units are probably better than the pedals (they should be, they cost much more) but I use the pedals all the time and have similar results. Granted, I don't usually play at insane volumes when using the ISP pedals but the result is the same...no noise, and that is all I care about. Out of all the pedals ISP makes, my favorite is still the original one. The decimate baby pedals work ok but have a bit of attenuation to them in certain settings. I happened to like that if I am playing at home late at night and can benefit from some volume control. It is very minimal but in a very quiet situation it is a positive effect or attribute IMO. The G-string is nice as well. I already had a few regular ISP pedals when it came out so when I got it I didn't really see any benefit other than amount of pedals used (which could be huge to some folks) it wasn't so much to me.

No matter which ISP product you choose, It will solve the noise problem. Hopefully my storybook here helped rather than confuse. There are other products out there that I am sure good. I just have the most experience with ISP. I know Fortin makes a gate that is a knockoff (basically everything Fortin does is a knock off of something) of the Kerry King Marshall signature amp. People I know like that product but it is overpriced for what it is and I am not a fan of Fortin.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

I don't know the science behind all the stuff. To me, either it works or it doesn't. Either it kills the noise or it doesn't. The problem with the NS-2 in comparison is that it cuts off sustain. Nothing like throwing a little wiggle on a note to have it cut off. True, you can adjust the NS-2 to cut off later (or earlier) but then it doesn't handle the noise/hiss as well. The ISP will cut off sustain if you dial it in on a very extreme setting but it will always cut off the noise.. I run my proper tour rig which is a two amp set up and I can have it set to stadium level volume and stand right in front of my 4x12's and shake my guitar with strings un-muted and it is silent. I can then hit a note and hold it and let it ring out and it just rings. True, the rack units are probably better than the pedals (they should be, they cost much more) but I use the pedals all the time and have similar results. Granted, I don't usually play at insane volumes when using the ISP pedals but the result is the same...no noise, and that is all I care about. Out of all the pedals ISP makes, my favorite is still the original one. The decimate baby pedals work ok but have a bit of attenuation to them in certain settings. I happened to like that if I am playing at home late at night and can benefit from some volume control. It is very minimal but in a very quiet situation it is a positive effect or attribute IMO. The G-string is nice as well. I already had a few regular ISP pedals when it came out so when I got it I didn't really see any benefit other than amount of pedals used (which could be huge to some folks) it wasn't so much to me.

No matter which ISP product you choose, It will solve the noise problem. Hopefully my storybook here helped rather than confuse. There are other products out there that I am sure good. I just have the most experience with ISP. I know Fortin makes a gate that is a knockoff (basically everything Fortin does is a knock off of something) of the Kerry King Marshall signature amp. People I know like that product but it is overpriced for what it is and I am not a fan of Fortin.
                  No problem with the story book. It answered some questions.
                  Thanks.

Comment

The G-string had a loop to place noisy stuff in it. The simpler decimator will work if you go guitar to decimator to aby pedal.

The ehx hum debugger pedal is different, that one was designed to remove hum only from single coils, it's not effective as a noise gate pedal.

You could also look into the tc electronics Sentry pedal.

For a really quick cutoff/gated effect it would be better to place the gate in the loop of the amp, that will give total silence the moment you stop playing.
                    Last edited by Hank-; 11-24-2020, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Also, if you find an NS-2 that you don't mind modding, lowering the cap value in (I believe) C19 position on the PCB will make it 's gating far more immediate, like you would want it for djenty start-stop riffing. I had a problem with it where with higain pedals it had this wierd blooming effect when I started playing as if it was "overloading" or something. The initial attack of the note was lost and it faded in. I wanted to try and solve the issue before moving on. This did the trick, I barely turn the thresold past noon.

This is an easy mod to get the NS-2 to do some hard gating.You will need a .022 uf capacitor, 16 volts or higher. I used a ceramic capacitor in this project....

The guy tinkers with some other components as well, but lowering the said cap value is already a night and day difference and I didn't bother doing the rest.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen

Comment

Working...
                        X