Attained the Pinnacle today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attained the Pinnacle today

Pinnacle Deluxe to be exact. Went to my neighborhood music shop to test out either Boss Katana or the Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe.

Played the Katana for a bit, with a green Joe Bonamassa Epiphone with a bigsby. The owner had to run out so he said grab new in box Katana since he was going past his storage location. Liked the Katana quite a bit. Said to the othef guy in the shop, hey while hs out let me try the PD. Plugged the PD into a Fender Blues Jr with a Music Man hss. Great guitar, hit the forst chord running through the Pinnacle, I was sold. Played it for a few more mins till owner got back. He had the Katana in hand. I said I like the Katana, but like the Pinnacle better.

Got it home and found its new home on the board.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201121_195019.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	6031196
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Is it an overdrive, or an actual amp modeler?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Great pedal!

Its an all analog overdrive pedal, it uses JFETs for a much spongier and more amp like feel. The Deluxe has a built in Tube Screamer for boost which works well too.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Haven't tried it but I like the way Brian Wampler voices his pedals.

Had a Euphoria on loan and liked it very much. And I love the Ego.

I'm curious about the Hot Wired too.

Brian seems to like Teles and plays a Tele a lot in his videos.

Seems like the Wampler stuff sounds especially good with single coils.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          Is it an overdrive, or an actual amp modeler?
          it's an "amp in a box", put it in front of a clean amp and it transforms it into a "jose-modded marshall", it's a good pedal, but I found it didn't really do higher gain well, it's too polite for that. it's decent for classic rock though.

Comment

It can be hot rodded Marshall in a box distortion pedal or just a great sounding overdrive. The Deluxe has a vintage and modern distortion toggle and the TS based boost side has a toggle for boost and gain with its own volume/gain knob. It also has a built in SAG control for use with higher output pickups to reduce some of the compression that happens between high output picks and the pddal.

I only played with it for about 30 min last but it can do from 70s-80s punk through some really good thrash tones.
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post

it's an "amp in a box", put it in front of a clean amp and it transforms it into a "jose-modded marshall", it's a good pedal, but I found it didn't really do higher gain well, it's too polite for that. it's decent for classic rock though.
              This isn't directed at you or anyone in this thread. It's just an observation.

But it's interesting that everyone loves Van Halen's sound but when they try to emulate his sound they use three times as much overdrive as Eddie used.

Eddie never even used an overdrive pedal. He just turned up his Marshall like Clapton did in Cream.
              “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

But it's interesting that everyone loves Van Halen's sound but when they try to emulate his sound they use three times as much overdrive as Eddie used.

Eddie never even used an overdrive pedal. He just turned up his Marshall like Clapton did in Cream.
                I agree Lew!

I don’t use mine for EVH though, just a great sounding and feeling OD for classic rock. When I turn it off my Fender sounds like a Fender, and I can hit it with a TS for that tone too. Perfect little setup for me. (Generally I prefer this style drive to the hard clipped DS-1, DOD250, Rat, OCD, etc. style)
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Im with yall. I didnt buy it to sound like EVH or anyone else. I bought because you get two really good sounding pedals in one. Before decising on the Pinnacle, Id also considered the JHS AT+ which is basically the same idea, hot rodded Marshall with a TS boost built into it.

My gear purchases arent based on any one person, I buy what I like.
                  Jackson Soloist 7 string
                  ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post

agreed, eddie's sound is not very gainy

Comment

Good snag on the pedal. A lot of people like that pedal.
                      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Eddie’s tone back then may not have been gainy but through the 90’s until 2015 it sure was. Just check out the 5150 amps. I had a 5150. Gobs of gain. He ran it with the gain on 7 on the lead channel. Rhythm channel was set cleaner. The big difference was the articulation that remained. It didn’t go to mush.

The PD has caught my interest. Great sounding pedal.
                        Last edited by ErikH; 11-23-2020, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X