Example of best use of a specific effect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Example of best use of a specific effect

All the chorus discussion recently made me think we need to discuss specific examples of stellar effect use, and I want to exclude overdrive, because all I can see from that is, "Well, his tone is good there, but I'll go better with this guy!" Let's just leave that out of the discussion.

I heard Flying High Again the other day, and the flanger that comes back after the solo when he goes back to the main riff sounds pretty perfect for the song and the effect. Any other good examples that come to mind?

While I'm not a huge Duran Duran fan, they do have a couple of good songs. They do a nice flanger or phaser at the intro, and throughout, "Come Undone."

Comment

i don't know if it's the best, but i've never been able to use a delay pedal and not play the intro to welcome to the jungle
      Quality riffs in about a minute...
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
        i don't know if it's the best, but i've never been able to use a delay pedal and not play the intro to welcome to the jungle
        Same for Chorus and Paradise City!

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Any 320ms / 340ms delay set to 50% with 2-3 repeats makes me start doing some U2 song

Comment

Somethings Happening Here by Buffalo Springfield has to be one of the most simple and perfect examples of tremolo.

Comment

voodoo child has to be one of, if not the, best use of a wah wah
              Quality riffs in about a minute...
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                Somethings Happening Here by Buffalo Springfield has to be one of the most simple and perfect examples of tremolo.
                "For What It's Worth" is the song title, I've always loved that song! When I figured out that it was harmonics with tremolo, I thought I was a rockstar....

Comment

Originally posted by Liam1963 View Post

"For What It's Worth" is the song title, I've always loved that song! When I figured out that it was harmonics with tremolo, I thought I was a rockstar....
                  Yep, I thought I butchered the title. The other example I love of tremolo is Johnny Marr's How Soon Is Now. With the exception being it is not one effect but two Fender Twins set to different speeds.

Comment

Good question...

I was going back-and-forth with my EHX Octavix Fuzz this evening-

either 0% "fuzz" and 70% "boost"-

or the other way around.

Two completely different.. pedals? :/ ... But I still think it sounds a bit too "IC" and modern for my "f'in" taste ....

To answer the OP:

I once brought a tape recorder deck home from the junkyard- plugged the cables in, and pressed "record" (with no cassette)... with bass guitar and bass amp.

...it was the fattest, dubbest, subbest BASS I've ever heard ...

..I hope my new EHX "Overlord" preamp will be "it" for my guitar rig! . I hope the mid controller EQ is voiced right. :/...

rock on \m/
                    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Jimi Hendrix' use of Octavia and Rotovibe are pretty quintessential uses of those sounds.
                      Brian May's use of a Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster
                      Jeff Beck's use of a Klon
                      Eric Clapton's use of Cry Baby (Hendrix and Frank Zappa also)
                      John Paul Jones use of whatever that was on his keyboard on No Quarter
                      similarly, Billy Joel's use of Chorus/Vibrato on his Fender Rhodes on Just The Way You Are
                      David Gilmour's use of amp tremolo on Money
                      Roger Waters use of tremolo and delay on his bass on One Of These Days
                      Pete Townshend's use of an EMS VCS3 'Putney' on a Lowery Organ to create Won't Get Fooled Again
                      Kurt Cobain's use of a Small Clone (Small Stone) on Smells LIke Teen Spirit
                      George Harrison's use of Leslie on lead guitar tracks (Eric Clapton following suit)
                      Dick Dale's use of Spring Reverb on everything
                      Tom Scholz' Hyperspace effect from Foreplay
                      Alex Lifeson's use of Chorus on Hemispheres, Signals and Power Windows
                      Jerry Garcia's use of Mu-Tron Envelope Follower / Auto-Wah on Terrapin Station

plenty more I'm just not thinking of. this is just off the top of my head.

Comment

Andy Summers use of the Electric Mistress on every Police song.
                        Robert Fripp's tape delay/looping on his Frippertronics releases.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The pretenders sure do compression and flange/chorus well.

I think "Run Through the Jungle" by CCR is good use of tremolo

Comment

The guitar solo in La Villa Strangiato is the ultimate use of a volume pedal.

Comment

I don't know about best . . . but there are some sounds you immediately think of when you hear an effect.

Phaser - Breathe (Pink Floyd)
                              Wah - Voodoo Chile (Jimi Hendrix), Bloody Well Right (Supertramp)
                              Tremolo - Bang Bang (Nancy Sinatra), Gimme Shelter (Rolling Stones)
                              Fuzz - Satisfaction (Rolling Stones), Spirit in the Sky (Norman Greenbaum)
                              Flanger - Walking on the Moon (Police)
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X