BOSS TB-2W Tone Bender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Correct, they sourced and sorted a batch of germanium transistors to build a batch of pedals. In the world of Boss, their designs are usually intended for mass production so they all come out in spec.

This was one of their teaser shots:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	06D6DF6A-2518-439E-AF5A-553C1BC5959C.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	6037278
    I want one. I had a real one when I was kid in the 1960's and loved it. When it broke no one could fix it. That's the way things were back then. But I loved that thing. It would roar! That huge low end growl and endless sustain that my Tone Bender had was unlike anything I've had since. I'd like to have the reissue just for nostalgia's sake. Just to hear that sound again once in a while.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

“Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post

One you would surely give a shot,,,,,,,,,the PH-1rw. (the r no longer standing for resonance, but instead now for "remote", as in remote switchable to the new custom mode.

1. Boss hasn't had an analogue phaser in the lineup for 20yrs! (except the anniversary box set's 2-knob og PH-1,,,,,,but those are scarce and a million $!)

2. Boss hasn't had a green pedal that's commonly liked in 30yrs! (I do like the PH-2 and PH-3 and it's weird stuff, but most seem to not.

3. Still no phaser or flanger in the Waza series,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we're waiting Boss dudes.

4. The PH-1 and PH-1r are getting hard to find in good shape at non-inflated prices.

5. The toggle switchable custom mode could simply be a stage-doubled mode like the second mode of the PH-2 is to it.
        Same concept as they used on their turbo ODr and turbo distortion.

6. The "r" should now stand for "remote", so you can footswitch to custom mode for extreme swirliness on crazy cleans.
        This. The Boss phasers have a sound of their own, but I think that the execution of it has often left something to be desired. A Waza Phaser would be an opportunity to get the record straight, and provide us with a proper alternative to the ubiquitous Phase 90.

As far as fuzzes, that is an effect that I just don't get. I understand that Hendrix was working at a time when there really was nothing else around, but I find that it makes the guitar sound wooly, undefined and, for lack of a better term, lo-res, which is exactly what I am trying to avoid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post

This. The Boss phasers have a sound of their own, but I think that the execution of it has often left something to be desired. A Waza Phaser would be an opportunity to get the record straight, and provide us with a proper alternative to the ubiquitous Phase 90.

As far as fuzzes, that is an effect that I just don't get. I understand that Hendrix was working at a time when there really was nothing else around, but I find that it makes the guitar sound wooly, undefined and, for lack of a better term, lo-res, which is exactly what I am trying to avoid.
          Another reason I believe many didn't like the Boss phasers (when they tried them 20yrs ago lol) was the adjustability.
          Coming from using 1 knob phasers and going up to 3 knobs can make for frustration until you work with them for awhile,,,,,,hard to do when trying them at a music store with all the distractions. Even the speed/rate knob has a different value and different sweet-spots than the MXRs do.

Might sound like I'm just making excuses for Boss, but after working with the PH-2 for quite awhile now I find it's an excellent phaser that has unison volume at about any setting of mode 1.
          Even at unison volume it really excites the upper-midrange harmonics while only adding a very tiny-bit of additional perceived gain, and that's just from the upper-mids being enhanced.

For a high-gain lead/solo enhancement I run mine like this;
          Rate= 10:30
          Depth= 4:00
          Reso= 10:00
          Mode= 1
          For an occasional faster phase I turn the rate up to around 1:00 and the depth down to about 3:00
          The more resonance/feedback you dial makes the tone narrower and more nasal. It adds complexity but it's hard to appreciate with much gain coming after it.
          IMO higher rate and reso settings work much better with light breakup and cleans rather than high-gain.

Comment

I wouldn't want boss making the phase90 or stuff that already others make that is unique to their respective companies. I don't mind making a copy of a discontinued pedal of some other brand that is unique & difficult to find.
            Boss already has a few gems they discontinued or altered the circuit in the current production versions, these are the ones I'd like them to make again. Behringer already makes clones of lot of their stuff, some of which is a few mods away from being a close copy but I wish boss reissued some of their stuff that's hard to find & popular enough to cost big due to being rare at the moment.

Comment

Well they are doing the HM-2w next year. The word came right from their president last month.

They set up a HM-2w facebook-friends page to accept suggestions on what to do on the remake.
              I think that alone might be a first for the waza series,,,,,,,,,,taking suggestions from customers that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                I wouldn't want boss making the phase90 or stuff that already others make that is unique to their respective companies. I don't mind making a copy of a discontinued pedal of some other brand that is unique & difficult to find.
                Boss already has a few gems they discontinued or altered the circuit in the current production versions, these are the ones I'd like them to make again. Behringer already makes clones of lot of their stuff, some of which is a few mods away from being a close copy but I wish boss reissued some of their stuff that's hard to find & popular enough to cost big due to being rare at the moment.
                I don't think they'd need or want to copy anything to build an awesome analogue phaser ithat is "based" on the original PH-1r and then refined from there, and then with a new custom-mode added.
                Phaser is another good pedal for them to apply the on/off switch for the buffers. They should market one mode as "classic" and the other as "modern".
                People would be excited to give it a chance because of the Waza stamp.

Comment

Working...
                X