No announcement yet.

Just Ordered A Seymour Duncan Diamondhead Pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very dynamic! Cleans up nicely when the guitar volume is backed off. Huge difference in tone using the eq settings. Huge boost and large gain using the SET switch.

Comment

sounds like a fun pedal. might have to try one down the line

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        And I probably meant that the graphic would go at the end of the preamp before the power stage. But the standard b/m/t tone stack would be replaced by three parametrics.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
        The DOD Boneshaker distortion has EQ like that - three bands, all sweepable, plus another knob for the extra-deep lows. No bandwidth controls but semi-parametric is enough. I had a couple of Tascam mixers back in the day that had 10KHz shelving highs with sweepable mids & lows. It was a big step up from the typical 3-band or 4-band fixed-frequency boards I'd been used to. It required using your ears but it gave a lot more versatility for sculpting.

Still, when it comes to amps IMO fixed tone controls are the best fit for the majority of guitar players. We can choose trebleboosters or other gain-shaping tools on an individual basis, but I think for general use amps need something that's simple and foolproof. Many have difficulty enough with the interactions of a traditional tone stack.

As for the Boneshaker, it's a good flexible pedal - I used to travel with one when I didn't know what flavor of backline would be available. That said, it's definitely a distortion, not an OD. I used it occasionally for corrective EQ but mostly as a hot lead channel. For that it's great. Definitely at its best as a high gain animal, not so great for edge-of-breakup or grit, and not amplike in its cleanup when you roll back the guitar volume. I could see using one for metal rhythm though. Plenty of chunk and the Depth knob is especially handy for low tunings or bass guitar. (Still, for bass I much prefer the SansAmp Bass Driver which does behave a lot like an amp.)

I imagine pedals like the Palladium & Diamondhead - which were designed to serve as a complete preamp circuit - probably use an extra gain stage (or two) compared to your typical pedal. This is likely to make them far more graceful in their interaction with your hands & guitar, especially when it comes to dynamics & cleanup. I have a few four-stage pedals including the Ethos TWE-1 and the little Blackstone Mosfet; they seem more touch-responsive than the usual suspects. I can feel the difference.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
        X