Verdict: Origin Pedals are worth it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verdict: Origin Pedals are worth it.

Ok, after 1 month of heavily playing my 2 Origin pedals.

Verdict is they are easily 2 of the best pedals I've ever used -Ive owned around 200 pedals -and these both sit in the Top 10.

-Warning they are super expensive (handmade in UK) so they ought to be good to charge what they do.

Revival drive is a damn switchable Swiss army knife of all overdrives -good lord it's perfect -and switch in a controllable mid hump/boost with a pedal too.

Cali76 (UA 1176 clonish) is the best guitar pedal compressor I've ever used (And I've owned a lot)

* Pros -Incredible tones, feature rich, easy to use, highest quality components and build quality of any pedal on the market.

* Cons -Price prohibitive and larger footprint than most pedals.

Click image for larger version  Name:	dga-ced12a0edb5e00c7bd13d6173571d1d9.jpg Views:	5 Size:	94.4 KB ID:	6039488Click image for larger version  Name:	Copy_of_Origin-Effects-Cali76-Compact-Bass-Compressor_799137-65278c9c2ddb107234a0ebfe7199b8b7.jpg Views:	5 Size:	67.5 KB ID:	6039489
    Last edited by NegativeEase; 12-16-2020, 09:04 PM.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

What does the Ghost knob do?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      What does the Ghost knob do?
      basically emulates the cranked effect of lower harmonics. -it's pretty badass to get it in a pedal at lower volume.

from the manual:

Ghost tones (aka “double tones”, “ghost notes” and “ghosting”) describes the phenomenon of low-frequency notes occurring within the amplifier, underneath those you’re actually fretting. Play through a fully-cranked, hot-biased Blackface Twin Reverb, or an early 50- watt Marshall Plexi, and you will experience other-worldly, unique low tones, particularly when soloing further up the neck. These dissonant ghost notes appear to be completely unconnected to the “true” note, but in fact they relate to the sums of differences between the frequency of the power supply and the frequency of the notes being played. Ghost tones are certainly undesirable when they become very loud and prominent (usually indicative of faulty power supply filtering) but at lower levels they create a distinct vibe. The effect can be quite subtle – as much a question of playing feel as sound – but it is unquestionably part of the magic of these vintage amps, serving to thicken the overdriven tone and reinforce lead lines. The RevivalDRIVE generates ghost tones in exactly the same way as the classic amps of the past. Turning the GHOST control clockwise reduces capacitance in the pedal’s simulated power supply, creating more of the “ghosting” effect. We’ve designed this control to offer a broad range of adjustment while never reaching the extremes where ghost tones become undesirable. To do this, we examined the ghosting behaviour of a number of classic amps including a pair of 1968 Marshall Plexi heads, a pair of early 60's Fender Brownface amps, several mid 60's Fender Blackface amps and various others. We found that our 1964 Vox AC30, as well as our 1967 Fender Twin, offered the most pronounced ghosting. We then tweaked the GHOST control to go 30% further so it can also be used to create a more overt effect. As an additional twist, the RevivalDRIVE’s simulated mains power supply can be switched between US and UK mains frequencies (50 and 60 Hz respectively, equating to 100 or 120 Hz once rectified) using the MODE DIP switch on the rear of the pedal. Changing the power supply frequency alters the pitch of the ghost tones generated.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I’d love to try them out... especially the revival drive. Through a big, juicy clean amp I bet it’s killer.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

That OD looks really nice.
          How saturated does it get?
          And also how well does it do fender-y edge of breakup?
          I have always had trouble getting that type of tone.

Comment

I like the idea of the OD . . . but that many knobs and it usually means I end up tweaking things rather than playing music. My heart wants complexity, but my brain doesn't seem to do well with options. :P
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yeah, those are at the higher end price wise, but I agree; if it's well made and sounds great, it's worth the price.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

basically emulates the cranked effect of lower harmonics. -it's pretty badass to get it in a pedal at lower volume.

from the manual:

Ghost tones (aka “double tones”, “ghost notes” and “ghosting”) describes the phenomenon of low-frequency notes occurring within the amplifier, underneath those you’re actually fretting. Play through a fully-cranked, hot-biased Blackface Twin Reverb, or an early 50- watt Marshall Plexi, and you will experience other-worldly, unique low tones, particularly when soloing further up the neck. These dissonant ghost notes appear to be completely unconnected to the “true” note, but in fact they relate to the sums of differences between the frequency of the power supply and the frequency of the notes being played. Ghost tones are certainly undesirable when they become very loud and prominent (usually indicative of faulty power supply filtering) but at lower levels they create a distinct vibe. The effect can be quite subtle – as much a question of playing feel as sound – but it is unquestionably part of the magic of these vintage amps, serving to thicken the overdriven tone and reinforce lead lines. The RevivalDRIVE generates ghost tones in exactly the same way as the classic amps of the past. Turning the GHOST control clockwise reduces capacitance in the pedal’s simulated power supply, creating more of the “ghosting” effect. We’ve designed this control to offer a broad range of adjustment while never reaching the extremes where ghost tones become undesirable. To do this, we examined the ghosting behaviour of a number of classic amps including a pair of 1968 Marshall Plexi heads, a pair of early 60's Fender Brownface amps, several mid 60's Fender Blackface amps and various others. We found that our 1964 Vox AC30, as well as our 1967 Fender Twin, offered the most pronounced ghosting. We then tweaked the GHOST control to go 30% further so it can also be used to create a more overt effect. As an additional twist, the RevivalDRIVE’s simulated mains power supply can be switched between US and UK mains frequencies (50 and 60 Hz respectively, equating to 100 or 120 Hz once rectified) using the MODE DIP switch on the rear of the pedal. Changing the power supply frequency alters the pitch of the ghost tones generated.
                Wow, I never thought those sounds were a good thing, especially in blackface Fenders. I did everything I could to get rid of them, now there is a pedal that simulates them...haha.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  That OD looks really nice.
                  How saturated does it get?
                  And also how well does it do fender-y edge of breakup?
                  I have always had trouble getting that type of tone.
                  It does edge of break up incredibly -but you can't get to ultra gainy with this pedal.

At the press of a button I turned my Fender Twin and Deluxe into a JMP last night...

Today I'll try to turn my JCM into a Princeton and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Wow, I never thought those sounds were a good thing, especially in blackface Fenders. I did everything I could to get rid of them, now there is a pedal that simulates them...haha.
                    Haha. yeah, well the option is there -as they're giving you a full palette of classic amplifier saturation tones.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      I like the idea of the OD . . . but that many knobs and it usually means I end up tweaking things rather than playing music. My heart wants complexity, but my brain doesn't seem to do well with options. :P
                      Trust me -I would never use a Chase Bliss pedal on stage for that reason alone (Especially after a few beers) but I do plan to use this and set it up and only use the on/off and 2 channel saturation

The best thing for me so far is the Silicon channel can get me a tone that sounds like my middle (neck/bridge) tone but enhanced which I us for faster cleaner passages which will be useful.... but for British balls I will sit in the Germanium channel

I don't know if I will need the Klon anymore for the separation on passages -especially arpeggios -as the Origin can do a version of harmonic enhancement that may be satisfactory -I'm going to to an A/B and also see who they might interact together too.

Comment

It does edge of break up incredibly -but you can't get to ultra gainy with this pedal.

At the press of a button I turned my Fender Twin and Deluxe into a JMP last night...

Today I'll try to turn my JCM into a Princeton and report back.
                        I’ll bet if you stack some gain pedals or set the amp to edge of breakup and then goose it with the pedal it’ll get pretty gainy. Whether that’s a good sound or not remains to be seen (heard). Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

I’ll bet if you stack some gain pedals or set the amp to edge of breakup and then goose it with the pedal it’ll get pretty gainy. Whether that’s a good sound or not remains to be seen (heard). Lol
                          Messing with that today in fact.

Comment

Messing with that today in fact.
                            Looking forward to your thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                            X