Flangers that won't cost me an arm...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flangers that won't cost me an arm...

It can take my leg though haha (I'll just be a pirate)

So I know there's plenty of affordable flangers out there that sound great but what are some of the best sounding flangers that money can buy? Bonus points for Blend/Mix knob as I like them on the subtle side.

I want to hear what everyone has to say and see if there's an affordable option.

Context: I was watching That Pedal Show and Dan seemed impressed with the Thropy Camouflage. I need to hear more demos but having a Blend and Treble knob seems neat.

I use flanger mainly for solos. Think Gilmour, though I can never tell when he uses a flange or phase. Doesn't matter, great playing
    Last edited by AllHailDIO; 12-18-2020, 08:55 AM.

You can get a BOSS BF-2 on the used market for $50 - $75 they are a great box

Comment

If your reference is Gilmour, also look at the Mooer Elect Lady or whatever it’s called now.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
        You can get a BOSS BF-2 on the used market for $50 - $75 they are a great box
        My first suggestion right there. I will add, if you find one of the old BF-2B Bass Flangers (brown box) for a good deal, they work great with guitar too. Same exact circuit as the BF-2 but with a few cap changes here and there to make it work better for bass. I had one and sold it, stupidly. I swear, it sounded like the old AC powered MXR Flanger, which I also had at one point and stupidly sold. See a pattern here? LOL

The MXR Flanger is great too though I personally would lean towards the EVH model myself.

The old Ibanez FL-9 is really cool too, though can be pricey.

Comment

The mooer e-lady is a really nice flanger. Way nicer than it should be for 30$. It sounds like it's based on the electric lady that Gilmour used.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
            The MXR Flanger is great too though I personally would lean towards the EVH model myself.
            Agreed it sounds great but there is a volume drop when engaged that drove me crazy. That is when I bought the MOOG with the output control.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

My first suggestion right there. I will add, if you find one of the old BF-2B Bass Flangers (brown box) for a good deal, they work great with guitar too. Same exact circuit as the BF-2 but with a few cap changes here and there to make it work better for bass. I had one and sold it, stupidly. I swear, it sounded like the old AC powered MXR Flanger, which I also had at one point and stupidly sold. See a pattern here? LOL

The old Ibanez FL-9 is really cool too, though can be pricey.
              Haha I do see a trend!

And yes... I actually had a FL-9 but sold it years ago. I had a very very long phase in my life where I found all modulation to not be my cup of tea... Often thinking of them as "cheesy". But after finding a new appreciation for chorus, I thought I should check out flangers too. My gut reaction was to get a FL-9 again but figured since the boutique pedal boom of the 00s, I'm sure there's more options now.

I'll definitely check out the BOSS and MXR!

Comment

Not to sound like a newb but do all analog flange have clock noise? Or is there some that have it filtered out, like how analog delay does (or so I assume).

Comment

I don't get any clock noise running the e-lady, but am running isolated power to it. It's analog.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Flangers won't cost you an arm..... they cost you your dignity....

Flanger Jokes.... I got em.

Sorry. I kid.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I like them on the subtle side too, and too often it can sound pretty cheesy. I'd suggest you to try out HF-2. By far the best sounding flanger in my opinion.

Some say flanging is on thin side in it, but I like that. Especially since it also thickens the unflanged lower portion of signal , it sounds glorious and doesn't mess up the song at all, even if you're playing rhythm.

Elec Lady is good for clean EM style flanger surely too. I used to have real EM deluxe, but it was super finicky and very noisy.
                      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

BTW: Joyo Classic Flanger is a real analog flanger, and copy of FL-9, if you want to try again that style out for cheap.
                        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Flanger is an effect that I have a hard time with. I would always reach for a phaser instead. Maybe this thread will make me aware of a flanger I will like.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's the one digital pedal effect I just can't get into.... but doing a real flanger effect with your thumb on the reel to reel is a lot of fun in the studio.

Used to do them all the time with artists looking for a "moment"

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

For those few times I use a flanger, I really like my DOD FX75C. IIRC, it's all analog. Very smooth and warm sounding. The 4-knob control, lets you shape the sound however you want. Can be found used for under a $100.

And, it has stereo out.

Comment

Working...
                              X