Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use mxr flangers. The micro and the EVH. They get the job done

Comment

I like the EVH flanger the best for the overall sound, but it takes 18 volts. I usually run mine using two batteries (or use one of my other flangers that can use 9v power supplies). Ymmv

Comment

I love Flanger !!! My fave is the MXR M117 but they is also cheaper ones. As somenone said the Boss BF-2 is nice.
        The Mooer is very cheap (but I never tried it).
        Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

I'm a MXR fan too, although I'm currently using models in my Boss GT-1k. I had a MXR Micro Flanger and really liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
            It's the one digital pedal effect I just can't get into.... but doing a real flanger effect with your thumb on the reel to reel is a lot of fun in the studio.

Used to do them all the time with artists looking for a "moment"

The real deal tape flanging sound is awesome. I’ve been tempted by a Catalinbread Zero Point at the end of the chain for a little flavor like that. It’s a lot of money for a toy you’d use once in a set though. (Or maybe you’d just run it all the time and it would become my signature tone! )
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The best flanger I have ever played/owned is the Thorpy hands down without question. The Strymon is nice. The old ADA box (or new one) is nice as well. The EVH would be my pick at #4.
              The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

The real deal tape flanging sound is awesome. I’ve been tempted by a Catalinbread Zero Point at the end of the chain for a little flavor like that. It’s a lot of money for a toy you’d use once in a set though. (Or maybe you’d just run it all the time and it would become my signature tone! )
                Nice! -you can always buy a 2 track at Goodwill/Thrift Store. Like a an old Roberts, Sony or Pioneer.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The ADA, Electric Mistress, and MXR flangers (and Boss FWIW) all sound different, so it kinda depends on what sound you are going for.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    The ADA, Electric Mistress, and MXR flangers [.. all sound different, so it kinda depends on what sound you are going for.
                    Mythical. These were the first three flangers ever released (around 1974 I think)

Anybody likes the Ibanez Flanger FL301-DX (Yellow box) ? It is part of the 0 series like the TS-808, AF-201, AD80... There was also a 18v version (FL301)
                    It was my first pedal but it has dispeared in the 80s. I would like to compare it to the two Flangers I have now (MXR four knobs M117 and Boss 93 BF-2 (MIT) but it was a long ago.
                    In my memory it was super cool but a little noisy.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I was looking at and listening to many: Ibanez, MXR, Retro Sonic, Thropy, EHX, Ross, DOD, Pearl, etc...

Haven't decided yet. Not sure exactly what I want either... I think I'll know once I hear it though? I imagine using the flange for Pink Floyd or Radiohead inspired stuff. Mainly for leads. No jetplane stuff or UFO stuff. Just to enhance the lead tone or to add some eeriness to some melodramatic notes haha.

In the meantime, I picked up a Mad Professor Tiny Orange Phaser. LOVE it. But I still want a flange, I think...

Clock noise concerns me though. But I want a bright flanger, I think. Don't think you can have brightness without clock noise. Shrug.

I will reread everyone's suggestions again after I recover from my recent pedal haul haha...

Comment

Beautiful...then you should get the Thorpy.

The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Camoflange Flanger ?

I just saw it has more controls : 6 knobs !

Comment

My first, last and only flanger is the mxr micro.
                            Used a 15%-off on it in 2019, so it was also no tax and micro cheap.

It does exactly the "frying" sound I was wanting for pushed-cleans or guitar's volume rolled way down with amp set heavy.

It does seem to heat-up the signal a little bit if it's right before the amp/dirt.(and more than a bit if it's ran post dirt-pedal, or in the amp's loop which I don't)
                            That doesn't matter to me because I can run it alone or with an EQ6 as an isolated patch through the Boss LS-2 line-selector, and each patch has a level.
                            The slight boost can also be a good thing, it just depends how you're wanting to apply the effect.
                            Last edited by dave74; 01-07-2021, 03:31 AM.

Comment

If think your MXR micro has two knobs : Rate (speed) and Regen and the Depth and Manual are fixed. But this can do what flanger need to do from slow rate airplane to hi speed dentist drill.

Once while I was copying a guitar track in may DAW to a second track I accidentaly put it a few milliseconds late... This gave the original Flanger effect (!) which, unlike pedals, doesn't go cycling.
                              So I think Catalinbread's idea to make the Zero Point was quite wise (but I don't have it).

I understand some people don't like it as it so much obviously colouring the sound. You have to really think how to use it or not in a song; EVH often shuts it after one bar for example.
                              I regard it fondly because it was the first effect I ever used in a band as a teen.

While it is quite interesting to compare models and their differences in sound in the case of Flanger the brand or model is less important than the settings and the way you use it in your song.
                              (OK you can argue this for any effect... But it's truer for Flangers than for dirt boxes).
                              I can use either MXR or Boss in the same song and it is fine.
                              Although I can see the difference when I compare them side by side I get my sound any with any of them.

The MXR M117 has a vintage warmth to it that I like very much but it is heavier my my bag.
                              The BF-2 goes to 11 compared to the MXR but you rarely need that 11 unless you play PIL 'Theme" on the live "Spring in Paris" ("I want to diiiiie !")
                              The BF-2's Boss switch is convenient for very short use.

Comment

The MXR micro was my bread and butter pedal back in the 80-90s

Comment

Working...
                                X