SD Killing Floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Killing Floor

Picked up a new SD Killing Floor high gain boost the other for a steal, $79. Gave it a run the last couple days. I really like this pedal, one knob, one 3 way toggle switch.

The knob controls the gain, the toggle controls the eq and is low end boost, flat and high end cut.

Have found my happy spot on the settings, knoab at between 10 and 11 oclock and the toggle set to high end cut.

The pedal almost adds a bit of hair to an overdriven tone, esp once the knob is over 12 oclock. Anything above 1 oclock is almost venturing into a bit of a fuzz territory.

Really digging this thru my Jub along with some verb and delay, its big hair and leather 80s all day long.

Now, thinking about going back and picking up a Wampler fuzztration thats clearanced also for 139. Not a fuzz fan but this one does it for me.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Thanks for the review! We don't hear nearly enough here about that pedal.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Welcome, would love to hear others thoughts on it as well.
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400

Comment

i like it a lot. at lower gain settings it doesnt add much grit of its own, i also use the high cut setting almost exclusively. its still plenty bright into my fender amps. i either use it straight into a dirty amp with the gain around 2 oclock, where it works great to push the front end to get more dirt and sustain or into a clean amp with the gain around noon with an od pedal to either give a clean boost to the amp or to hit the od pedal harder to get more drive

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
          Now, thinking about going back and picking up a Wampler fuzztration thats clearanced also for 139. Not a fuzz fan but this one does it for me.
          Have you tried a Fuzztration through your Jubilee? I loved it in the store, but it really fell flat once I brought it home. It was so smooth sounding that it ended up sounding like a fuzzier version of the Jubilee lead channel, so I returned it. I usually run a Homebrew Electronics UFO (Foxx Tone Machine clone) with my Jubilee, but I like a nasty sounding fuzz with an aggressive octave-up.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Thats good to know, hate picking up good pedals that sound good in store and plug them in and they are kinda meh. Noticed that both my Pinnacle and Dracarys has more upper mids and high end than low end thru my Jubilee that it did thru the Marshall I tried at the store.

I still like them and have noticed with my Jube, even on the clean channel it will influence the sound of those pedals and have to turn the gain volume all the way down
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400

Comment

So after playing this for a few weeks I really dig the pedal with one exception. If I start playing aggressively, Ill notice the low E string sometimes drops but the remainder of the notes remain clear. For example, Im palm muting a E cord and hitting the strings pretty hard, the low E note kind of being a quiet flub while the B and E in the cord sound fine.

I have tried to receate this without any pedals or even with my Dracarys and it only happens with the Killing Floor. If I lighten up on the strings just a hair bit, it plays fine.

Anyone ever experience something like this before with a high gain boost or pedal?
              Jackson Soloist 7 string
              ESP LTD M-400

Comment

i whack the strings pretty hard and use 11s and ive never experienced this with my killing floor. does it happen at all gain settings and switch settings? ive always used a power supply with mine, maybe its a power issue? have you tried it at 12v or 18v?

Comment

Yep all gain settings and switch settings with all 3 guitars. I have it running at 9v now but was doing it when I ran it 18v also. I can try 12v tomorrow I guess.

Currently the gain is set at about 10 oclock and the toggle is in the up position.
                  Jackson Soloist 7 string
                  ESP LTD M-400

Comment

if its the same with 9v and 18v, i cant imagine 12v will change it. weird. just the low e, like if you play a g power chord at the 3rd fret, does it still do it?

Comment

Agreed, if its happening at 9 and 18v, I dont forsee it not happening at 12v. Yep I think it will do it anywhere along the low E string, doesnt seem to effect any of the other strings, have to pay more attention to that piece. Its almost as if that constant hard playing overloads the low frequency. Im only tuned down 1/2 step and using 10s or equivalent for the 7 string. The 7 string is tuned down a whole step but I dont play that enough to notice it, have to experiment with that some in the coming days.
                      Last edited by Hsb; 01-26-2021, 09:18 AM.
                      Jackson Soloist 7 string
                      ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Not sure if it’s the same thing but I have an Ibanez that seems to do this. I don’t have the pedal you’re talking about but I am running a high gain application.
                        It’s the only guitar I have that does this.
                        I believe in my case it’s a setup issue. My low E is set too low (Edge trem).
                        Have you tried using a different guitar and still get the same result?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                          Not sure if it’s the same thing but I have an Ibanez that seems to do this. I don’t have the pedal you’re talking about but I am running a high gain application.
                          It’s the only guitar I have that does this.
                          I believe in my case it’s a setup issue. My low E is set too low (Edge trem).
                          Have you tried using a different guitar and still get the same result?
                          Yeah it happens with all 3 guitars, 2 fixed bridge and one FR and it only happens when Im using this pedal. I can slam the low E string as hard as a I can even using the my Pinnacle Deluxe, Tumnus or Dracarys and I dont experience the the issue. One guitar has a Distortion, one is running a Custom and the 7 string is running a Nazgul. I can try an A2 or A5 in the Custom to see if that alleviates the problem doubt that also as it sits between the DD and Nazgul
                          Jackson Soloist 7 string
                          ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Played with it a bit tonite and yes it happens all along the low E string.
                            Jackson Soloist 7 string
                            ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Sat down for a bit today and got to messing with the pedal, amp and guitar. It seems if the bass on the amp is ovrer 5, I had it set at about 6-6.5, it blows out that low end on heavy downpicking.

Bass set at 5 or less and works like a charm.
                              Jackson Soloist 7 string
                              ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Working...
                              X