banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a delay that will suppress the 1st note?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a delay that will suppress the 1st note?

I need a delay pedal and/or device that will silence the 1st note, and only play the delayed signal. Does such a thing exist?

A lot of digital delays with stereo outs can have the second out be used for just wet signal. Is that what you're looking for?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

+1 to what GuitarStv said. Any delay with a wet/dry or mix knob will do that. I can't think of a delay that doesn't do this.

Comment

That would definitely work. All my delays are either built in to the amp, or are part of a multi-effects box. I may have what I already need. Thanks for that tip Steve.

And beau.

Comment

FInd a delay with a wet-dry mix control like the MOOG MF Delay, then just kill the dry signal.

Comment

I'm perusing the manual of my Yamaha MagicStomp II as we speak. It has several delays built in, plus stereo out. I'm hoping it will do what I want, without me buying anything.

It looks like both my ancient Yamaha FX500 and the newer MagicStomp MKII will both do this. But it isn't quite clear. I'll need to hook them up and verify.

Thanks again guys for the heads up.
            Last edited by ArtieToo; 01-04-2021, 11:32 AM.

Comment

I seem to remember the Magicstomp can be set to run 100% wet. I had a friend who ran it that way in his parallel effects loop.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                I seem to remember the Magicstomp can be set to run 100% wet. I had a friend who ran it that way in his parallel effects loop.
                Yeah, and the manual seems to confirm that. What's not clear is if the "wet" signal includes the 1st note along with the delays. I'm trying to find the dang wal-wart for the thing. It's 12VAC, so I can't just grab my pedal brick.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Yeah, and the manual seems to confirm that. What's not clear is if the "wet" signal includes the 1st note along with the delays. I'm trying to find the dang wal-wart for the thing. It's 12VAC, so I can't just grab my pedal brick.
                  Just use 1 and 1/2 9 volt batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Just use 1 and 1/2 9 volt batteries.
                    But it's AC. So I'd have to flip 'em back 'n forth real fast.

Comment

BTW, I do this all the time. I do it with reverbs, too...100% wet signal, no dry. Make sure you have a mix parameter.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        BTW, I do this all the time. I do it with reverbs, too...100% wet signal, no dry. Make sure you have a mix parameter.
                        Thanks. Both the Yammy's do.

Comment

I suppose that any delay (or at least most of them) will do it if you set the dry sound at zero.

100% reverb as Mincer mentioned is nice too. You can hear this effect in Siouxsie's Happy House (studio version).
                          Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I had to read that a 2nd time. Does 100% wet suppress the initial attack?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I had to read that a 2nd time. Does 100% wet suppress the initial attack?
                              Yes - the initial note is your dry signal, so if your delays can run 100% wet you won't hear it.
                              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                              X