"Switching"/Isolated type Power Supplies, 60 cycle hum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Switching"/Isolated type Power Supplies, 60 cycle hum

Last year, I switched over to using one of the modern tech power supplies - the Truetine CS12 in my case - where they advertise significant improvments in noise reduction due to the isolated transformers and "switching" technology. More details about that here: https://truetone.com/cs12/

I haven't gigged out with this new power supply. I can say at home, the level of 60 cycle hum from my guitars with non-noiseless singlecoils has been incredibly low. I am wondering if I can expect the same high level of noise reduction when I gig out someplace, to the point where i no longer have to worry about noise problems from guitars with non-noiseless singlecoil pickups. Has anyone gigged out with one of these and seen just how good the noise reduction really is in a real world gig environment?
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

That all depends on the venue and how many neon signs they have and fluorescent light are in the place. The more of those, there's not a power supply on earth that will eliminate the noise from non-noiseless single-coil guitars. You might see some reduction, but probably not like what you see at home. The noise the power supply is filtering out is actually from the pedals themselves since they all have isolate supply, not what is coming from the guitar. You will still hear single-coil noise. Your rig became quieter so now you can truly hear how much noise the single-coils present.

Comment

Proper isolated power for pedals is always a good thing. Additionally, it never hurts to have an ISP Decimator (or similar) type pedal to help eradicate "other" noise.
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

You will, provided it is a newer, inspected venue up to code. Unfortunately, older places really cut corners on their electrical systems and there will be significant hum no matter what kind of pickups or power supply you use. I hate those places.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          That all depends on the venue and how many neon signs they have and fluorescent light are in the place. The more of those, there's not a power supply on earth that will eliminate the noise from non-noiseless single-coil guitars. You might see some reduction, but probably not like what you see at home. The noise the power supply is filtering out is actually from the pedals themselves since they all have isolate supply, not what is coming from the guitar. You will still hear single-coil noise. Your rig became quieter so now you can truly hear how much noise the single-coils present.
          Ahh, the power supply can only eliminate noise from the pedals, not the guitar. Makes sense, since the guitar signal that has the 60 cycle hum noise, isn't running into the power supply itself. Actually, now I feel a little dumb, lol. "Duhhh!" Lol
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Another thing to consider in some (or a lot) of these places we play at is the overall quality / amount of power to power your gear. Sometimes the voltage is way low or high for what our gear needs to operate at its optimum level. When that goes off the rails, all the other stuff seems magnified along with it. I know this is a bit off topic but still important when talking noise and functionality etc.
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

They don't seem to defeat any other sources of hum/noise, for example when there are newer-type stage lights with a cooling fan in them or servos/motors that move the light around.

Comment

Working...
              X