DS-1 Voltage Sag Mod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DS-1 Voltage Sag Mod?

Hey fellas, I'm modding another DS-1 and was wondering if y'all knew whether or not there would be any value to adding a knob to starve the voltage.

What can I expect from this mod and what tips do you guys have for it? I hear it's the mod is simply adding a small pot inline with the power supply and as I turn it down it makes it more compressed and synth like.

Try first with an exhausted 9V battery and see...
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

That sounds like a lot more trouble than it would be worth. Also, is there a way to boost voltage? I'm pretty sure DS-1s are built to handle at least an extra volt or two.

Comment

get a power supply with adjustable output

find out where you like it
        then put a switch resistor to get there

https://www.amazon.com/3V-Adjustable...s%2C251&sr=8-9
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          get a power supply with adjustable output

find out where you like it
          then put a switch resistor to get there

https://www.amazon.com/3V-Adjustable...s%2C251&sr=8-9
          +1

This is literally what the 'sag' outputs on Voodoo Labs power supplies are for.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post
            Try first with an exhausted 9V battery and see...
            I 2nd that motion. Take this with a grain 'o salt because I've never actually done it . . . but I believe "sag" is slightly different than just a lower voltage. A weak battery could actually show 9-volts, then drop in current when loaded. A lower voltage power supply would still have full current capability. I believe it's the sag in current, more so than a sag in voltage, that creates that affect.

But again, I'm not positive about that.

Comment

"Sag"
              Nothing good comes to mind when I hear that word.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                "Sag"
                Nothing good comes to mind when I hear that word.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                hot grandma comes to mind
                EHD

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I 2nd that motion. Take this with a grain 'o salt because I've never actually done it . . . but I believe "sag" is slightly different than just a lower voltage. A weak battery could actually show 9-volts, then drop in current when loaded. A lower voltage power supply would still have full current capability. I believe it's the sag in current, more so than a sag in voltage, that creates that affect.

But again, I'm not positive about that.
                  literally as I read this
                  the pedal show had this
                  at around 19 minutes in
                  Josh gives the breakdown of dying battery voltage sound

EHD

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                    literally as I read this
                    the pedal show had this
                    at around 19 minutes in
                    Josh gives the breakdown of dying battery voltage sound
                    Ah, cool. That's why I said "a grain 'o salt."

BTW, here's a good and comprehensive article on battery sag that I had forgotten about when I posted. It even includes a simple "sag" circuit.

Measuring the Characteristics of Depleted 9v batteries. Written by Jack Orman.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

+1

This is literally what the 'sag' outputs on Voodoo Labs power supplies are for.
                      Cool; Many possibilities...
                      Would it work with my Digitech Whammy v2 ? (I lost its power supply).
                      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

what voltage does the Whammy want?
                        and is it DC?
                        EHD

Comment

No, and it wouldn't make sense to use it for that. First of all, the Digitech Whammy is a rather high current device, and the Voodoo Labs supplies only offer sag voltage on 100ma outputs. Second, sag voltage only really makes sense on analog circuits where it can affect things like headroom and possibly frequency response. Digital devices (like the Whammy) either work of they don't, and they're more likely to not work with insufficient voltage.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by TMD

A sag in voltage in a power supply would yield a corresponding sag in current — not in current capacity, but in actual current delivered. This is simply because these power supplies act like voltage sources and deliver current according to I = V/R.

A battery — especially a dying battery — behaves less like an ideal voltage source and (I think) has a higher output impedance such that when higher currents are demanded, the internal voltage drop across the output impedance becomes more and more significant.
                            Yup, yup. You are correct. I plead senility.

Comment

My Decibel 11 Hot Stone Deluxe has the option to sag. With modulation pedals, it added artifacts like chirps to my choruses. There were some cool effects with overdrives and distortions. However, these were sounds I would like to toggle not have always on. BTW the Hot Stone was designed and built by guys that left VooDoo Labs.

Comment

Working...
                              X