Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zvex Distortron into Vox AC15

Hello everyone,

I 'd always loved the Distorton running into my old Peavey amp but a while ago I got a Vox AC15. For some reason, the Distortron (and a few other pedals (Boss BF3, TC Corona Chorus)) doesn't sound organic anymore. I just feel that the sound is coming out of that little box and it drives me nuts. Has anyone had a similar experience? I used to love the Distortron and now and then I'll tweak for days and I can't find that beautiful JTM 45 sound I used to get. I think I'll give the JHS Charlie Brown a shot...

This happens sometimes. Different amps respond differently to different pedals.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

i've found ac15s to be a little fussier than other amps about taking certain od pedals, but others really can make it shine. maybe they just don't play well together.
      Quality riffs in about a minute...
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I would consider a Rangemaster clone alone or with the Zvex .

Comment

different dirt boxes work better with different amps. a rangemaster works well if your amp is cranked, into a clean amp it isnt pleasant to me. do you like the tone of the amp by itself?

Comment

The AC15 is very upper mid rangey with no bass at all. If your distortion box has a mid range bump in similar frequencies to what the amp boosts it can easily make things sound boxy and too mid-rangey. Look for a wider range, slightly mid-scooped (or at least minimally mid boosted) distortion.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              different dirt boxes work better with different amps. a rangemaster works well if your amp is cranked, into a clean amp it isnt pleasant to me. do you like the tone of the amp by itself?
              I love the AC 15 on its own. I also found it sounds great with the Ibanez ts9 and with the Wampler Tumnus.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                The AC15 is very upper mid rangey with no bass at all. If your distortion box has a mid range bump in similar frequencies to what the amp boosts it can easily make things sound boxy and too mid-rangey. Look for a wider range, slightly mid-scooped (or at least minimally mid boosted) distortion.
                Maybe a pedal with more eq settings?

Comment

Originally posted by Flores_68 View Post

Maybe a pedal with more eq settings?
                  That could work too . . . but all distortion boxes have some sort of inherent EQ built into them. Tubescreamers have a big 800Hz mid range boost, Klones have about a 1.1kHz mid range boost, DS-1 is slightly scooped at around 900 kHz with some bass roll-off, the big muff has a huge scoop that occurs somewhere between 700 - 1.5 kHz depending on where you set the tone knob, etc. You just need to figure out what kind of EQ you need with your amp and then find a box that works with that.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Voxes are notoriously picky when it comes to drive pedals.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

The AC 15 hates Tubescreamer pedals but loves, Klons, Timmy’s and OCD pedals. I had better luck with MXR Analog Chorus and WayHuge Blue Hippo Chorus pedals. The Rat pedal works great for more distortion. I had good luck with MXR Carbon Copy Delay and the WayHuge Aquapuss Delay. In both cases, the MXR pedals are darker and the WayHuge pedal are brighter. It’s a matter of preference.

Comment

Working...
                      X