banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's REVIEW those pedal boards you are using right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    OMGWAFM
    This is literally the best post of the year.... I may sig it.
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

All right! Here we go....

I will bear in mind that this 'order' is what works for Bruce - not necessarily what I would do. I will assume standard signal chain order regardless of location:

1. BBE Bohemian - excellent under the radar Treble Booster selection, nice start
      2. Liverpool - for the classic power-pop-rock crisp gritty awesome. Another excellent selection.
      3. Dracarys - while a bit of the "hot pedal of the moment" - I can't say anything bad about this (Remember the Tightmetal?)
      4. I would have put the OD/Boost before the Liverpool...but that's me. Perhaps Bruce is using it for a Boost for solos maybe.

*** I see at least 4 different levels of dirt...perhaps more depending on the Treble boosters use. Solos only? Goosing any of the next three? Do tell...
      But I've got biting clean, AC dirt, Metal Dirt, and maybe something in between? With a boost. Nice variety!!! I'm guessing bruce changes dirt only occasionally since the are in the back.

Now for the Delays - I assume those are "special settings: for whatever and at the end of the chain. In any event...
      - Carbon Copy - solid choice period for analog, with a mod option
      - Is that a DD6? Again, all the digital goodness you'll ever need (Not unlike my choice of DD3 and AD9 together...)

On to the front row.
      - Old school Flange - Again, solid working man's choice. Plus, 4 knob Flangers RULE!
      - Classic two knob chorus - more analog goodness
      * Great old skool swirl pair.

Of course, the H9 needs no introduction. I assume this is for any damn thing you want!
      - If this is the main "ambience" and the two delays and two modulations are for 'on the fly' stuff, but the H9 is the main one - that would be cool!

As for the two pedals
      - Again, Wah volume is a classic.
      - I have no idea what that other plastic looking pedal is. For the H9 parameters?

Anyway, I'm guessing Bruce is using one dirt for most things with an occasional change, and on-offing those chorus/flanger/H9 and volume a lot.
      Same with the delays. H9 mostly, occasional delay use or change.

Now for the opportunities....

1.De-hair the velcro. Looks like Vetrinarian's waiting room
      2. Tuck a few more cables. Dracary's looks like some robot-octopus
      3. I like the spacing up top. Not a fan of it down bottom. Everything right, everything left, or rockers left, H9 etc right.

I'd run it like this left to right....

Front row:
      H9 < Dracarys < Liverpool < OD-Boost < Treble Boost < Wah-Volume

Back row
      DD6 < Carbon Copy < Flanger < Chorus (< H9). [You have room for a swirl du jour like a Tremolo or a phaser or something.]

If possible, I'd run the H9 and whole back row in a loop, and the Dracarys straight in the front.

All in all - I'm awarding this most improved! That said, the bar was almost at Demaniac level to start....In any event, well done! I could work with this!!!

Great review,... but a little soft. Bruce is a tough cookie -you should lean in harder next time.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

• Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Great review,... but a little soft. Bruce is a tough cookie -you should lean in harder next time.
        He set the bar pretty low out of the gat with spilled-over bag-o-crap. I give a lot of credit for improvement.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

• Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Trust me when I say you will never see Bob and I pull punches on each other. If he had reason to kick me in the beanbag he would have done his worst.

Comment

• Originally posted by Securb View Post

Trust me when I say you will never see Bob and I pull punches on each other. If he had reason to kick me in the beanbag he would have done his worst.
            Seriously - it looks a lot like one of my earlier Hollywood boards. I had less dirt and more delays...noto gonna hate on something I would use. I got my Bruce abuse out on that bag of cats he was using.

Please tell me you burned that wretched piece of whatever...

Comment

Please tell me you burned that wretched piece of whatever...
              Nope, I am going to turn it into my "Bugout Effects Bag" I am going to put 4 or 5 pedals and a Onespot in there for random jamming on the fly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Securb View Post
                Yep, I keep it clean and use the gain on the board. As you can see I have almost every flavor of gain on the board.
                I really like having univibe and phasing effects in front of my dirt. Should really try that with chorus and flanging too . . . for some reason these have never made their way to the front of my board.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

• I have a flanger that I love in front...Things just sound right where they sound right.

Still no excuse for $#!tty pedal boards or bad pedals!

Comment

• Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

It's a solution for those who are very sure of their pedal order. :P
                    So maybe I'm ready for Gorilla Glue? Pedal order has ceased to be an issue for me, for the moment.

Comment

• What is the Duo running - be careful how you answer. Context is everything here.

Comment

What is the Duo running - be careful how you answer. Context is everything here.
                        The Duo turns the pages of my iPad - that's my fake book. I typically keep it on the ground like a prompter, or I might put it on a stand if one is handy.

Comment

• My singer has the same setup

Comment

• Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

The Duo turns the pages of my iPad - that's my fake book. I typically keep it on the ground like a prompter, or I might put it on a stand if one is handy.
                            Tell me more. Is this for acoustic/electric? Is there an amp involved or DI? Please explain more...

Comment

• Sort of related, I've finally extended control of my board out to one pedal with 5 switches and 5 LEDs using a 12 PIN DIN cable housed in a smallish pedal I built

So my 6-8 pedals now will sit in the case unopened adjacent to the amp during shows.

I will get some pics for you to have fun with
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Tell me more. Is this for acoustic/electric? Is there an amp involved or DI? Please explain more...
                                Electric. The Zoom/Duo board is the rig I use when plugging into someone else's backline, typically nimble gigs, last minute, need to be easy to carry, easy to setup, quick to get off stage. Almost always a church gig now, but have used it at informal party jams, last-minute fill-in gigs and to lay down either scratch tracks or inconsequential tracks on recordings also. It will work DI also. The Zoom has speaker cabinet emulation, which is selectable, and sounds pretty good. I have an old BOSS? or Rapco? or something DI in my briefcase and have run into main boards before, but into real speakers is better. I've run it through VOX AC30s, VOX AC15s, Fender Blues Deluxe, BOSS Katana 50w/100w, Fender Mustangs, whatever is on stage. Just set them clean and use as a personal guitar P.A. That will get mic'd with either an SM57 or a Sennheiser e906. At home, I run it into a BOSS MA-15A personal monitor to practice. The Zoom obviously doesn't move air, but it sounds good and has the response of a real amp when playing guitar.

I still have my larger format board to use with my Orange AD50 into my Randall 1x12 cab with a 25th Anniversary Heritage Celestion V30. That will get mic'd with an SM57. (No, these pedals are not just loose in a bag like Securb. That's a Pedaltrain in a Pedaltrain soft case.). Guitar goes in the NS-2, and out the blueSky to my amp. Any amp emulation/distortion pedal goes in the NS-2 loop, and all the delays and reverbs come after. Everything is in front of the amp. I don't bother with effect loops and balancing levels and stuff. More trouble than it's worth to me - I can get great sound without any hoop jumping. I know which knobs to turn at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X