banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's REVIEW those pedal boards you are using right now.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's REVIEW those pedal boards you are using right now.

I will provide an objective critique of the boards displayed in "Let's see those pedalboards you are using right now" thread. I'll start at the most recent and work backwards until I am bored.

Bring hankies. If you are delicate, don't show up at all - it could get rough.
    Disclaimer: You may be personally abused in this thread. And possibly your mom. Definitely your gear. And your junk might be questioned. Delicate emotional teacup daisy flower musicians may want enter at their own risk.

Those who have dared to tread in these waters have received invaluable gear advice. Unfortunately, they have mostly ignored. A few twisted &%$% have came back because they appear to like the negative attention. If that is you, perhaps some self-reflection is in order. And maybe therapy.

Last edited by Aceman; 02-14-2021, 12:16 PM.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Originally posted by v8stang289 View Post
    Latest iteration... why is it that every time we get something going good, we think "what if....?" And change it up. Either way, I'm pretty much out of room on the pedal board now, lol.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20210113_212147_949.jpg Views:	31 Size:	157.0 KB ID:	6048003
    Good god man - where do I start?!?!?!?

Comment

So, first of all, this isn't all bad.

To begin with, I applaud the workman like selection of the classics:

Crybaby wah - with no fancy pants knobs, or artist renditions or any of that cr4ap
      Tube Screamer and Rat - into what must be a Marshall per the footswitch. A True Tone craftsman can do wonders with just these.
      Looks like a Pitch Black tuner.

Unfortunately, there are a few issues...

Sound Tanks? Really? A person with any self respect would have removed those for the photo.
      You may think I'm going to bag on the Rogue delay - but I'm not. It is a decent Analog voiced digital box. But dang, dig in the couch and replace the knob!
      I have no idea what that little thing in the corner is but it is FAIL because I'm not turning my head to read it. If I can't identify the pedal, it sucks.

Now we have a few other issues here.

First, the pedals every which way and wires akimbo is just a sign of a troubled mind. You called this a "latest" version so I must assume some sort of attentional deficit. Seek help for that. Or don't. But order things up and tidy those wires!

Also - I guess that slice of plywood is technically a "board" but you couldn't find a more appropriate spaced log on a discarded palette or something? I'll give it vintage style;e points for the aged patina though.

Also, be careful not to scratch the plastic floor. Real plywood can splinter....

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

Revision. The Soul Food is gone. I got the EVH 5150 Overdrive for Christmas. The Fly Rig 5 v2 is great. Can run it direct to the board via XLR and to an amp or another powered speaker or another mixer via 1/4" out (amp sim can be enabled/disabled on this one). For rehearsals I take just the Fly Rig and 5150 Overdrive. This board setup is for when we can finally get to play out live again.
        OK - not a lot to work with here...honestly, not even sure why you got a board....Looks like a an EVH fan maybe.
        Last edited by Aceman; 01-16-2021, 06:07 PM.

Comment

All righty....I'll hit each and every item here:

Script Phase - looks a little pretentious because its new, but can't hate.
          Fancy Pants Wah - see above comments. Cool burnished color though.
          Keeley 4 knob - never a bad choice (unless you set the blend too high!)
          5150 is a good distortion, again, if going all VH on us.
          Waza DM2 is a great Analog Delay - but if getting all EVH up in the house why didn't you get an Echoplex?

Now...here is the big issue, and I don't know how you are working things here. I'll assume you are going direct, because why else the Sansamp. I have to say that one looks cool. However - I'm subtracting points because there is a lot of glare.

everything else there is fairly classy and then there is this one little DI Bar. Lose that, ditch the board, and just go straight into the amp. If you can't afford an amp, sell the Keeley and get a Sound Tank compressor and a Rogue Delay or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

OK - not a lot to work with here...honestly, not even sure why you got a board....Looks like a an EVH fan maybe.
            Yes, I'm a VH fan, but that's not why I put it together.

Comment

Today I just used two pedals into my 5 watt Picovalve. It was in the high 70's with no breeze today, so I bought it and my Ibanez out on the porch. It sounded fantastic.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is my current rig.

Comment

All righty....I'll hit each and every item here:

Script Phase - looks a little pretentious because its new, but can't hate.
                  Fancy Pants Wah - see above comments. Cool burnished color though.
                  Keeley 4 knob - never a bad choice (unless you set the blend too high!)
                  5150 is a good distortion, again, if going all VH on us.
                  Waza DM2 is a great Analog Delay - but if getting all EVH up in the house why didn't you get an Echoplex?

Now...here is the big issue, and I don't know how you are working things here. I'll assume you are going direct, because why else the Sansamp. I have to say that one looks cool. However - I'm subtracting points because there is a lot of glare.

everything else there is fairly classy and then there is this one little DI Bar. Lose that, ditch the board, and just go straight into the amp. If you can't afford an amp, sell the Keeley and get a Sound Tank compressor and a Rogue Delay or something.
                  The Phase 90 was a gift from a very good friend of mine. He bought two, didn't need both and gave the other away. He knows a lot of players that would love it, he chose me. I use it.
                  The JC-95 I bought a few years ago while in another band. Was playing bass, got moved to guitar when our guitarist had a heart attack (he's fine, thank God) and needed a Wah for a gig because I didn't have anything. No guitar pedals at the time. Sold them all before joining that band as bassist. My criteria was 1. true bypass 2. within my budget 3. some voicing flexibility. Out of all the Dunlops, this one is the best one for what I was looking for, even over the 535.
                  The Keeley Compressor I use mainly for clean parts for added sustain and the ONLY compressor I get along with. I tried with the Boss CS-3, MXR Dynacomp, even the TrueTone Compressor on the Route 66 (Ross clone).
                  The 5150 is a killer pedal. Does a lot more than just VH. The full EQ and noise gate are nice added features over others. And I've been wanting one for a long time. The wife gave it to me for Christmas.
                  The Waza Delay is great. And I'm not getting all EVH. Even if I was, he hadn't used an Echoplex in over 30 years. I use this with the delay heavy like the clean parts in Who's Cryin' Now during the chorus as well as randomly during some leads.

The Fly Rig does allow me to go DI and that is how I run it and why I got it. I have an amp still but I don't take it to rehearsal and at gigs it will be my stage monitor fed from the 1/4" output to the effects loop return (unless I get a powered floor wedge at some point). The bonus with that setup is I can crank the level on the amp up to what I need onstage without affecting FOH. Can't do that with a mic'd up amp without sending more through to the board. The overdrive level of the Plexi on the Fly Rig is set low. The 5150 gives me the soaring sustained tone. The delay in the Fly Rig is set for slap. I'm a Journey Tribute band so I need some flexibility. Oh, and the Pedaltrain board was free from another buddy of mine.

I hope my feedback satisfies your feeble opinions...LOL. What I do works, and it works well.
                  Last edited by ErikH; 01-16-2021, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    Here is my current rig.

Much love your way for the CAE rep.
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      Today I just used two pedals into my 5 watt Picovalve. It was in the high 70's with no breeze today, so I bought it and my Ibanez out on the porch. It sounded fantastic.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                      I can't even tell what that crap is, and the carpet is ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post

Much love your way for the CAE rep.

OK - here we go:

MXR overdrives are hit/miss - but I dig that Boost/OD, very cool.

The Carbon Copy is also beyond reproach in this situation

I dig the Ibanez Chorus. It isn't my choice of two knobber, but can't hate.

I'm not sure how I feel about the H(. I'm intimidated by it, yet I also have to ask why does one need any other pedals with that. I'll ignore it.

Now the peals:

#1 The Wah/Vol combo is a very slick choice! I have one, I love it (not that brand).

#2 WTF is that other heap of junk?

Deeper question: Are you left footed or something? Why are the pedals over there?
                        Also - What is the deal with that Korg tuner? Please tell me it is to cover a hole in the board (which appears to be a bag....whole other issue there). Seriously dude - get a mini tuner or something. Or maybe better prescription glasses!

Comment

[QUOTE=dystrust;n6037645]Pedalboard v7:

OK - a LOT to like here...only a couple of issues.

Comment

First off - I LOVE the ERGOs on this!!! Rounded, multi-level, and industrial and multi-color. Very hip!!!

I like the pedals on the right. Because that's where they go. I'm not a Vox fan, but if you must the brit flag is also cool.

Some EVH phase, a Flashback, and a little gold Wampler. Nice. I like the cool metal switcher too. Keeps the industrial theme going.

I have a problem with that Micro Flanger. real men use real flangers with 4 knobs. I'll let it slide though because it goes with the CE-2. Old school swirl is fine.

GT500 is way overrated. Cool aesthetic with the red on blue also.

Obviously the Strymon Flint is a thing, and probably my most least hated Strymon pedal.

Never a thing wrong with a good old CS-3

And that brings us to the tuner again. what is it with you people??? Never heard of TC Polytuner? Korg Pitch Black? Planet waves? C'mon guys....class it up in this area.

Also, I can't say I'm a fan of the zip ties. They really detract from the pedals themselves. It might be nice if you got colored ones to match the pedal they hold. Red or white for the GT500, for example.

Comment

OK - here we go:

MXR overdrives are hit/miss - but I dig that Boost/OD, very cool.

The Carbon Copy is also beyond reproach in this situation

I dig the Ibanez Chorus. It isn't my choice of two knobber, but can't hate.

I'm not sure how I feel about the H(. I'm intimidated by it, yet I also have to ask why does one need any other pedals with that. I'll ignore it.

Now the peals:

#1 The Wah/Vol combo is a very slick choice! I have one, I love it (not that brand).

#2 WTF is that other heap of junk?

Deeper question: Are you left footed or something? Why are the pedals over there?
                              Also - What is the deal with that Korg tuner? Please tell me it is to cover a hole in the board (which appears to be a bag....whole other issue there). Seriously dude - get a mini tuner or something. Or maybe better prescription glasses!
                              Got a mini tuner I didn't like it. The Korg is built like a tank. I use my right foot with the pedals, no big deal moving my foot 12 inches. The heap of junk is a MOOG EXP pedal I use with the H9. I use the H9 harmonize to fatten leads. It is my Phase 90, I also use it as a Flanger and Delay on a couple of songs. I also use the H9 Blackhole algorithm for the trippy parts in the middle of Whole Lotta Love.

Comment

Working...
                              X