Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    So I finally had a chance to try the AA12 at rehearsal last Monday night. I have to admit that it sounded great....
    I don’t want to admit that because I’m a tube amp snob, but truthfully it really did. All of the other guys couldn’t believe how good it sounded also.
    Now I’m thinking maybe I’ll sell some gear I don’t really use and look into a higher end modeler. Lol
    New thread in 3...2...1...

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Originally posted by devastone View Post
    I've never ordered from aliexpress, don't they ship from China? Amazon usually has them in stock in the states and if you are a Prime member, usually get them in a day or two, but looks like aliexpress is cheaper.

Anyway, you might check TRN too, plastic housings so they are lighter than the KZs - https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...SearchText=trn

FWIW, I would have to be getting paid decently to consider custom molds, for volunteering at church I'm not dropping a grand on earbuds.
    Oh yeah, no way am I dropping that kind of cash either. Lol. I’m going to start off using the KZ’s I have and take it from there. Lol

I was actually just downstairs and I hooked up the AF12 to my PA....man, I think I’m a convert.
    All these years and I refused to even try modeling technology, but I have to say that this thing really sounds killer. Still, maybe not quite as good as a real tube amp but really, REALLY close. And when I think of not needing to lug an amp to gigs anymore, it’s looking really appealing.

I know I started this thread asking about a church setup, and I will in fact use the AF12 for that, I think I’m going to start using it for the regular rock band too. This technology has come a long way.

Those TRN look good too
    Last edited by Gtrjunior; 02-05-2021, 05:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied
    I've never ordered from aliexpress, don't they ship from China? Amazon usually has them in stock in the states and if you are a Prime member, usually get them in a day or two, but looks like aliexpress is cheaper.

Anyway, you might check TRN too, plastic housings so they are lighter than the KZs - https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...SearchText=trn

FWIW, I would have to be getting paid decently to consider custom molds, for volunteering at church I'm not dropping a grand on earbuds.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Originally posted by donaldr View Post
    Sorry I have the ZS6, I step-up from ZS5. Maybe get a new set of quad-driver from KZ that is oriented for musicians (flatter response), they are affordable and will give you a very good idea if you like IEM or not for not too music $$$. Then go custom mold.
    You also might get a look at Singtall presets fro your Amplifire. I used some of them for my Eleven Rack and they are very good.
    I was looking at the aliexpress KZ page earlier and they have quite a few IEMs that look good for the musician. I have a buddy at work who is big into audiophile IEMs. I’m going to see what he thinks as well. I appreciate all of the input here. Clearly I have a LOT to learn.

The guy I bought the AF12 from included a bunch of IRs and profiles and I believe I saw some Singtall in there.
    The issue I’m having is getting the editor to recognize the AF12. When I connect the usb, my laptop sees it and preps it to be used but the editor software doesn’t see it.
    I contacted support and they recommend trying a new usb, and I have one on order. So we will see. I ha r seen a number of threads on various forums with h others having the same issue.

Leave a comment:

• donaldr
    replied
    Sorry I have the ZS6, I step-up from ZS5. Maybe get a new set of quad-driver from KZ that is oriented for musicians (flatter response), they are affordable and will give you a very good idea if you like IEM or not for not too music $$$. Then go custom mold.
    You also might get a look at Singtall presets fro your Amplifire. I used some of them for my Eleven Rack and they are very good.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Originally posted by donaldr View Post
    +1 on KZ. I also have a set of KZ ZX6 and I would use it until you can afford a custom set, as Mincer was talking about.
    I’m have the ZS5 pair. And also a set of the ZST that I use for the gym. I’ll get the extension cable that devastone posted and just start there.

Leave a comment:

• donaldr
    replied
    +1 on KZ. I also have a set of KZ ZX6 and I would use it until you can afford a custom set, as Mincer was talking about.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied
    Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    I have a pair of KZ that I use with my iPhone and I will say that for the price they are excellent.
    Yeah, that's basically what I've been posting links to, the TRNs are probably coming out of the same factory as the KZs, just a little lighter. But, if you have a set of KZs, you are set for IEMs, at least for now, just plug them into your personal mixer, probably will want an extension cable though, don't want to have to stand in the same 3' and not be able to move - https://smile.amazon.com/CableCreati...s%2C168&sr=1-5

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    Man, gotta say last night I ran a stereo rig,

-Origin Revival Pedal into 68 Fender Deluxe (Custom Bassman Tone Stack Channel) and into an Iridium IR modeler pedal on Marshall Plexi V30 Cabinet Settings into the PA and it was other worldly sounding together.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Originally posted by DKSEARS View Post
    Glad you found something you’re happy with.

For IEM’s, several in our team are using these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G33XTW8..._GQRLFb6VBZ0VK and seem to really like them, especially for the price.

I was using an older version of those, which are pretty good, until I ran into a half price deal on some Sennheiser’s that I like even more.
    I have a pair of KZ that I use with my iPhone and I will say that for the price they are excellent.

Leave a comment:

• DKSEARS
    replied
    Glad you found something you’re happy with.

For IEM’s, several in our team are using these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G33XTW8..._GQRLFb6VBZ0VK and seem to really like them, especially for the price.

I was using an older version of those, which are pretty good, until I ran into a half price deal on some Sennheiser’s that I like even more.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied
    You must get good clean signals to mix (assuming you are mixing your own?), we're talking about playing in church. Not trying to be negative, and I've worked with total pros in churches and others that are just volunteers whose only background was running sound at that particular church. So, the quality of the signals going into the IEM mixer can vary, the mix, well, that's up to you, but it's not going to be the same as what is coming out the mains, it takes some getting used to. And, you have to just say "it's up to the soundguy" regarding the mains.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Me too, until I used the current set. I used low end Shures. My current set has 6 drivers in each ear. It is like playing along to a CD, really.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    If I could get it to sound close to listening to an mp3, I could live with that.
    My 1st experience with them was bad. I had a low end Shure set (215?) and although the vocals sounded good everything else sounded like it was playing out of a tin can.
    I was completely turned off to IEMs after that.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied
    Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

Yes, I understand that I need the IEMs to hear the band. For the church project I would not use the monitor at all...it will all go through the IEMs.

The monitor comes into play with the regular rock band. Although I could also use the IEMs there too but I’d likely need something wireless.
    I thought the monitor would be handy for rehearsal and also for my own personal home use. My rehearsal PA uses the larger Thump 15’s and I suspect they probably won’t sound much better than the 12” version.
    Then yeah, those monitors look great, again, haven't heard them in person though.

FWIW, for just playing in church, I have trouble coughing up that much on some IEMs, well, I did buy some Westones a few years ago when they were on sale for ~$200 (I think they were normally ~$400, but been a few years). Sadly, I like the ~$60 ones I linked to in the earlier post better. And no, IEMs will never sound/feel like playing a real amp, more like listening to music on your iPod, phone, whatever, through good earbuds (of course, this also depends on the quality of the signal you are getting to your personal mixer).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X