Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mincer
    replied
    The mains are EV cabs, which sound great. But there is certainly a brittle thing going on with the Thumps that make them not suitable for a guitar monitoring solution, and no amount of EQ seems to help. They are just plain terrible. But hey, they were designed as cheap PA speakers for DJs and for people actually giving speeches, not rockin' guitars.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    BTW, my Fractal sounds terrible hooked up to a Mackie Thump. It sounds wonderful direct to the PA, or DAW, or into an acoustic amp. I just think the Thump sounds pretty awful and no amount of EQ can fix it.
    It’s like no matter how I eq parameters there is always this underlying “brittle” thing going on.
    What are you using for your mains?
    The only thing I have here at the house is my rehearsal PA which also has Thumps,
    Only the larger 15” speaker.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    BTW, my Fractal sounds terrible hooked up to a Mackie Thump. It sounds wonderful direct to the PA, or DAW, or into an acoustic amp. I just think the Thump sounds pretty awful and no amount of EQ can fix it.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    I got the Amplifire delivered yesterday and I set it up through my laptop.
    Well...it’s “ok” but it’s a LONG LONG way from a real tube amp.
    Now I realize I still need to learn how to adjust it properly. I’ve been watching Leon Todd’s YouTube channel since he seems to be able to dial in a great tone.
    But it’s just not “there”.
    I also tried hooking it up to a Mackie Thump 12” speaker and again...just ok.

I downloaded the editor and of course I can’t get it to run. It’s not seeing the Amplifire as being connected. The laptop readies the devise and then says it’s ready but the editor just doesn’t recognize that it’s connected. I messaged Atomic on FB about it but haven’t yet heard a response.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied
    It depends on what you are wanting to do, the Mission SP-1 has a wah style switch built in, so you could use it as a volume, then click the switch so it changes to a wah (or delay time, gain, whatever), and vice versa. That is one of the best uses of an expression pedal to me. I haven't used the Mission or the Dunlop, so if the Dunlop has a switch, ignore me, but something to think about.

And, it's only $10 more than the Dunlop -https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/expression/multi-use-exp/sp-1/

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Yeah, the Dunlop Volume X is a good choice. I use mine with either a Line 6 M9 or HX Effects.
    Originally posted by DKSEARS View Post
    Depending on your budget, I would something like the Dunlop Volume X or mini Volume X. Either one can be used as an expression pedal.
    I’ll look into that.
    Thanks.
    Luckily for me I don’t need it just yet, so it gives me some money saving time. Lol

Edit: just looked it up...,that’s a reasonable price.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Yeah, the Dunlop Volume X is a good choice. I use mine with either a Line 6 M9 or HX Effects.

Leave a comment:

• DKSEARS
    replied
    Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Ok, so what expression pedal(s) are we using?
    The Mission Engineering look nice if a bit pricy.
    Depending on your budget, I would something like the Dunlop Volume X or mini Volume X. Either one can be used as an expression pedal.

Leave a comment:

• LLL
    replied
    For going direct to board:

You could:

AMT 2 series stomp (cab sim out 1/4")

If you wanted more flexibility, add:

Two Notes Torpedo CAB M+ (speaker iR, power amp sim, 2x mic sim with XLR output)

You can insert FX of choice between the two like so:

AMT 2 series
    |
    FX
    |
    CAB M+
    |
    mix board/FOH

Alternatively, add a power amp and speaker for that kind of rig.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    Originally posted by donaldr View Post

Problem with those "amp in a pedal" is the power supply is bigger than the pedal itself and a pain to integrate with the rest of the setup. Seymour Duncan was smart having the power supply inside the Powerstage 170/200. EHX 5mm is also nice with 9v input which is more pedalboard friendly, with advance in technology maybe we will see a 50w version soon.
    Yeah, I only suggested the Quilter version because I know it sounds great.... I haven't heard the others yet. You likey?

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Ok, so what expression pedal(s) are we using?
    The Mission Engineering look nice if a bit pricy.

Leave a comment:

• donaldr
    replied
    Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    You could get a badass little 1x10 or 1x12 cabinet and this little badass modeler AND Amp in one pedal... and have both worlds...

Click image for larger version Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 5.30.55 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	190.2 KB ID:	6051160
    Problem with those "amp in a pedal" is the power supply is bigger than the pedal itself and a pain to integrate with the rest of the setup. Seymour Duncan was smart having the power supply inside the Powerstage 170/200. EHX 5mm is also nice with 9v input which is more pedalboard friendly, with advance in technology maybe we will see a 50w version soon.

Leave a comment:

• devastone
    replied
    Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

Good to know. Can I program the expression pedal to control various parameters in other effects as well? Like delay, phaser etc...
    Like a way to control the repeats or speed of the modulation?
    Yes, it can control different things in different patches and depending on the exp pedal and the Amplifire, probably has a toe switch setting so it can do 2 things.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied
    Originally posted by devastone View Post

Get an expression pedal, it will come in handy, and you can program it to be a volume and wah when needed. On my GT-1000 the exp pedal is set to be a volume and the toe switch, which is actually not a switch but a position just past the soft stops, switches it to a wah. I don't use a wah much in church, but I use the volume pedal all the time.
    Good to know. Can I program the expression pedal to control various parameters in other effects as well? Like delay, phaser etc...
    Like a way to control the repeats or speed of the modulation?

Leave a comment:

• NegativeEase
    replied
    You could get a badass little 1x10 or 1x12 cabinet and this little badass modeler AND Amp in one pedal... and have both worlds...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 5.30.55 PM.png Views:	0 Size:	190.2 KB ID:	6051160

Leave a comment:

Working...
X