Looking for a small yet versatile setup for church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

No worries. I occasionally find him mildly amusing too.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Well, technically I already own enough gear to assemble a setup. But I wanted to try to go amp-less and just make a very small setup. That’s why I was thinking fly rig. Which is half of the price of the line 6.

Donā€™t get me wrong, $600 for an ā€œall I needā€ pedal isnā€™t all that much but if Iā€™m being honest, right now I donā€™t have a spare $600 to throw at this. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m being a cheap ass....ha!
      The Fly Rig 5 is a worthy choice. It would be great for what you need. I love the XLR out.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Well, technically I already own enough gear to assemble a setup. But I wanted to try to go amp-less and just make a very small setup. That’s why I was thinking fly rig. Which is half of the price of the line 6.

Donā€™t get me wrong, $600 for an ā€œall I needā€ pedal isnā€™t all that much but if Iā€™m being honest, right now I donā€™t have a spare $600 to throw at this. Thatā€™s why Iā€™m being a cheap ass....ha!
        If you do decide to ever go forward with one, let me know and I will connect you to a dealer that can save you some money.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Those 3 choices are all great.
          The Iridium looks amazing. And $400 isn’t too bad. The downside is in order to get everything I’d want out of it I still need to buy the foot switch and midi cables for it. And that now brings the price to where the Line 6 is. Plus I’d still need to intergrate other FX pedals into the setup. The big plus is that it probably sounds the best of all 3 choices.
          I’ll look deeper into the Line 6 today when I have a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Sorry, Gjr -I giggled.

I have an Iridium -if you want to try it out -I ship it to you for a few weeks.
            Originally posted by Bogner View Post

If you do decide to ever go forward with one, let me know and I will connect you to a dealer that can save you some money.
            I appreciate the offers guys! That’s very generous of both of you.
            I will let you know.
            Thank you

Comment

I have gone through a number of different rigs as i am now mainly a P'W player. Best i have found has been the tiny Mesa Subway Rocket I have with a mic in front and a minimal pedal board. Super low stage levels and tones that will floor you in the FOH miced. Only issue is fighting arrogant brainless anal worship leaders and sound tecs who won't even try and work with you when they see an amp. I can get killer tones at levels as low as a good vocalist is singing but--.
              Example
              My amp here is to my left on the floor looking from camera view. So tiny you hardly notice it and volume is so low that you would have to work to hear it sitting in the front row directly in front of the amp. But. throw a beta 57 on it like here and push it through the system and --. Also have an Ax track Iso cab when I absolutely must run silent stage.

Last edited by Ascension; 01-21-2021, 07:59 AM.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Those 3 choices are all great.
                The Iridium looks amazing. And $400 isn’t too bad. The downside is in order to get everything I’d want out of it I still need to buy the foot switch and midi cables for it. And that now brings the price to where the Line 6 is. Plus I’d still need to intergrate other FX pedals into the setup. The big plus is that it probably sounds the best of all 3 choices.
                I’ll look deeper into the Line 6 today when I have a few minutes.
                Do you have a good tube amp you like? If so just buy a good IR like a Torpedo Captor and run your rig direct silent stage. I HATE most of the guitar tones in today's pop worship most sound fake harsh buzzy thin ect. The few tones I do like are from guys running real amps like here.

Last edited by Ascension; 01-21-2021, 07:58 AM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

Do you have a good tube amp you like? If so just buy a good IR like a Torpedo Captor and run your rig direct silent stage. I HATE most of the guitar tones in today's pop worship most sound fake harsh buzzy thin ect. The few tones I do like are from guys running real amps like here.
                  This more or less the direction I went. After spending years building my amp collection, I prefer to use them.

I will say that I just bought the FlyRig Acoustic pedal and it seems to be pretty top notch and very simple to use. It impressed me enough to look at going back to get a FlyRig 5 as a backup to my normal rig.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

Just looked up the torpedo. Very interesting!
                    I have a 20w Blackstar head that I like a lot.
                    So, with the torpedo I could run the head into it and then out the xlr to foh?
                    I’m assuming the 1/4” out would go to either a floor wedge or IEM? It is labeled “dry”....would I not be able to hear any FX in my monitor?

Comment

I’m assuming the 1/4” out would go to either a floor wedge or IEM? It is labeled “dry”....would I not be able to hear any FX in my monitor?
                      I’m using a UA Ox instead of the Captor, but I run amp > Ox > DI > FOH, then our IEMs come back via an auxiliary board feed through (new to us) Behringer P16’s. Before that we used the board to feed little headphone amps for the IEMs.

I would say when the Torpedo says dry for the 1/4 out that would just without the cabinet emulation.

Comment

You'll hear any fx that are going through the amp. The Captor goes in place of your speaker cab, or as an attenuator to your speaker cab, the XLR goes to the FOH. As far as running IEMs, the point is to have the whole mix in them, not just your guitar, if you just have your guitar in your ears, how are you going to play well with others? So, if you are using something like that, you don't need a speaker cab, but if you do use the thru or attenuated signal for one, you want a guitar cab, there won't be any cab sim on that line. And don't plug headphones into them, that is meant to drive a real speaker so not a good idea.

FWIW, this is what our IEMs are plugged into, not our individual processor/amp/preamp doohickey - https://www.presonus.com/products/earmix-16m The channels are fed from the main mix pre-fader, so we set our own mix. Most channels are 1 to 1, but stuff like drums is mixed down to an aux out on the main board so it only takes up one channel on the Earmix (and the main mix FWIW). Having an individual mix is good and bad, I have my guitar where I can always hear it, but I don't know how loud I am in the mains relative to everything else, so, dynamics are tricky, you just have to trust the soundman (uhm, soundperson), which in churches can be hit or miss.

It seems that you are only thinking about hearing your guitar, it's more about thinking about hearing the mix. Even _______ (insert favorite arena filling band using IEMs here) have the whole mix in their IEMs, that way they can play together. We even have cues and click tracks our ears (that we can adjust the level of in our own mixes), took a little getting used to but it's great for keeping everyone together. We're still working out some issues, but making progress.

Comment

Ok....this is getting deeper than I thought!!
                          I have a lot to learn.

Devastone, I was aware of needing the entire mix in the IEM’s but I still need to learn how to properly get the guitar signal to operate. Lol
                          The players on the worship team all use IEM and there are these little mixers (?) on stands which I assume they adjust the mix with.

Ok so....
                          Guitar get plugged into the pedal board and then to the front of the amp, then out to the torpedo. Then the xlr goes to foh and I use IEMā€™s to monitor the return from the board.
                          Am I on the right track?
                          Last edited by Gtrjunior; 01-21-2021, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DKSEARS View Post

I’m using a UA Ox instead of the Captor, but I run amp > Ox > DI > FOH, then our IEMs come back via an auxiliary board feed through (new to us) Behringer P16’s. Before that we used the board to feed little headphone amps for the IEMs.

I would say when the Torpedo says dry for the 1/4 out that would just without the cabinet emulation.
                            Wow! That thing is pricy.
                            Way out of my budget. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Yep it can be used as a load box and has a decent basic IR cab simulator. Just match the impedance to your amp when you buy one ( they have 4,8 and 16OHM versions) then plug in a mice cable and run your amp through the system.
                              Demo Peavey 6505 through a Captor X direct

Last edited by Ascension; 01-21-2021, 02:50 PM.
                              Guitars

Comment

Ok....this is getting deeper than I thought!!
                                I have a lot to learn.

Devastone, I was aware of needing the entire mix in the IEM’s but I still need to learn how to properly get the guitar signal to operate. Lol
                                The players on the worship team all use IEM and there are these little mixers (?) on stands which I assume they adjust the mix with.

Ok so....
                                Guitar get plugged into the pedal board and then to the front of the amp, then out to the torpedo. Then the xlr goes to foh and I use IEMā€™s to monitor the return from the board.
                                Am I on the right track?
                                Yeah, you plug the IEMs into the little mixer thingy. Best to get your sound mostly dialed in at home through some full range speakers, don't use a guitar cab for dialing in your direct sounds. When you plug in there the soundman will adjust to your level out the XLR, or may ask you to turn it up or down a little. Other than that, you should be mostly good to go, maybe adjust some reverb, delay, etc... but you kinda have to trust in the tone you dialed in before hand, it's not going to sound exactly like it did at home in your IEMs, and you won't be hearing the same mix as the coming out the mains. FWIW, at home I use a set of Kali LP-6s on my desk and I have some JBL FRFRs I use with a choir sometime when I have to bring my own "amp". I do have a guitar cab and power amp, if I'm in a situation that I need a "real"-ish amp, I'll turn off cab sims and go through that or run an AMT preamp or the RK5 and a few pedals, but haven't done that in years other than messing around in the house.

You don't need a cabinet when you are running direct, just something else to carry. I have my GT-1000 in a gig bag over one shoulder and my guitar in a big gag on the other shoulder. If I use the RK5, it fits in the guitar bag although thinking about getting a board to mount it, a wah, volume, and a few other pedals to, or building a board around a AMT B2 preamp, I'm still a knob and pedal guy at heart.

When running direct, even without having to carry a cabinet, I really don't see any need in lugging a tube head and load box or whatever, there are plenty of pedal size solutions that sound great, no, they don't feel like a tube amp through a speaker, but in IEMs, neither does a mic'd tube amp. And again, if you already have a pedal board you are using with your amp, just grab an AMT M2 or something and put it where the amp preamp goes in your signal chain, then use a DI box to get the signal to an XLR, the church probably already has DI boxes though. If you can run down your current amp setup, I give you some ideas, and I'm all about saving money wherever possible! I'm also for convenience, I don't want to have to get there 30 minutes early to set up something to dial in "toanz" that no one in the congregation is going to notice that much anyway. Don't get me wrong, they will notice if it sounds like crap, but I get compliments all the time using my GT-1000, from the middle aged "rockers" (of which I guess I am) to old ladies (which I definitely am not), so take it FWIW. Oh, and use lots of reverb, that seems to be a church thang.
                                Last edited by devastone; 01-21-2021, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X