No announcement yet.

Looking for a small yet versatile setup for church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, my Fractal sounds terrible hooked up to a Mackie Thump. It sounds wonderful direct to the PA, or DAW, or into an acoustic amp. I just think the Thump sounds pretty awful and no amount of EQ can fix it.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      BTW, my Fractal sounds terrible hooked up to a Mackie Thump. It sounds wonderful direct to the PA, or DAW, or into an acoustic amp. I just think the Thump sounds pretty awful and no amount of EQ can fix it.
      It’s like no matter how I eq parameters there is always this underlying “brittle” thing going on.
      What are you using for your mains?
      The only thing I have here at the house is my rehearsal PA which also has Thumps,
      Only the larger 15” speaker.

Comment

The mains are EV cabs, which sound great. But there is certainly a brittle thing going on with the Thumps that make them not suitable for a guitar monitoring solution, and no amount of EQ seems to help. They are just plain terrible. But hey, they were designed as cheap PA speakers for DJs and for people actually giving speeches, not rockin' guitars.

Comment

The mains are EV cabs, which sound great. But there is certainly a brittle thing going on with the Thumps that make them not suitable for a guitar monitoring solution, and no amount of EQ seems to help. They are just plain terrible. But hey, they were designed as cheap PA speakers for DJs and for people actually giving speeches, not rockin' guitars.
          That is actually what I bought them for. About 10 years ago I was djing weddings part time for some extra money.

Any recommendations on a fairly inexpensive wedge type speaker that might work well?

Comment

I bought a couple more floor wedges the other day -so everyone at rehearsals had a personal wedge -not just those singing.

Anyways -they were cheap Kustom PA4s powered wedges. and they were the worst wedges I've ever heard -and it's not close... also terrible 60 cycle hum -returned them after one day

Don't considered using these ------EVER

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.png
Views:	206
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	6052778
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

I bought a couple more floor wedges the other day -so everyone at rehearsals had a personal wedge -not just those singing.

Anyways -they were cheap Kustom PA4s powered wedges. and they were the worst wedges I've ever heard -and it's not close... also terrible 60 cycle hum -returned them after one day

Don't considered using these ------EVER

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.png
Views:	206
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	6052778
              I did the same thing several years ago. I figured I just needed a small wedge so I could hear everything. They are the worst.
              I still have it but I basically use it at my computer desk/guitar playing station for things like running a click through it or something like that. So yeah, pretty useless.

Comment

Ok...
                After a couple days of watching YouTube vids and tweaking tones with the AF12, I’ve got to say...this thing sounds amazing!

I have watched a few of Leon Todd’s tone walk throughs and I’ve dialed in a nice AC30 tone and a good Friedman tone.
                The thing tripping me up now is getting the volume of each individual patch to be the the same.
                I found a Gear Page thread where someone explains their method. Basically he starts off with a clean patch and adjusts the main and aux output so that the patch won’t clip even with the AF12’s level knob maxed.
                It gets used as a reference to dial in your other patches. That’s as far as I’ve gotten with it. I have my reference patch and the 2 mentioned above and neither one clips. The problem is the Vox patch is considerably quieter...I’ll need to look at that tomorrow.

If any modeler users have suggestions....I’m all ears.
                Thanks!

Comment

Glad you got it working and are getting good results. The Amplifires are supposed to sound great, but are also probably one of the hardest ones to figure out (or maybe it's just because I've been using the Boss interface for year). For FRFRs I personally have a set of - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...owered-speaker I bought them when they were on sale for $250 each, so the set was just a little more than one at regular price. The Headrush is also supposed to be good for guitar setups, they have an 8" one - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...guitar-cabinet and a 12" one - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...guitar-cabinet

But, yeah, there aren't any really "cheap" solutions that you'll be happy with, but again, if you are using IEMs in church, you don't need an FRFR except for at home or if you are using the Amplifire for gigs (again, probably not if there are decent monitors). I mostly play through my M-Audio interface and Kali monitors, I rarely pull out the JBLs unless I need to use them playing with a choir or something where I'm not plugged into the PA. Here's the Kalis I use - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...o-monitor-pair

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    Glad you got it working and are getting good results. The Amplifires are supposed to sound great, but are also probably one of the hardest ones to figure out (or maybe it's just because I've been using the Boss interface for year). For FRFRs I personally have a set of - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...owered-speaker I bought them when they were on sale for $250 each, so the set was just a little more than one at regular price. The Headrush is also supposed to be good for guitar setups, they have an 8" one - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...guitar-cabinet and a 12" one - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...guitar-cabinet

But, yeah, there aren't any really "cheap" solutions that you'll be happy with, but again, if you are using IEMs in church, you don't need an FRFR except for at home or if you are using the Amplifire for gigs (again, probably not if there are decent monitors). I mostly play through my M-Audio interface and Kali monitors, I rarely pull out the JBLs unless I need to use them playing with a choir or something where I'm not plugged into the PA. Here's the Kalis I use - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...o-monitor-pair
                    What do you think of these? My drummer has 2 still in the box he offered to sell me.
                    Are these FRFR? How would I know if they are or not?

Comment

Comment

Sounds like a good idea, I don't have any experience with them. This is becoming a major investment for you. Again, when you play in church, you probably don't need them, everything will be in your IEMs, you don't need a separate speaker for your guitar. But, yeah, those would rock your house, and you might like using if for the band too.

Comment

For anyone looking for something like this, I know Line 6 is coming out with a new (cheaper) floor processor with a built in transmitter.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                            Sounds like a good idea, I don't have any experience with them. This is becoming a major investment for you. Again, when you play in church, you probably don't need them, everything will be in your IEMs, you don't need a separate speaker for your guitar. But, yeah, those would rock your house, and you might like using if for the band too.
                            Ha!
                            So far I’m in at $400. I haven’t bought anything else yet.
                            I’ve been thinking that if this unit works out ok, I might consider using it with the regular rock band and stop lugging an amp altogether.
                            But for the church band I do still need IEMs and that represents the entry level investment (Amplifire and IEMs).
                            And who knows, if I can afford a good enough set of IEMs I could did without the floor wedge as well....
                            Just thinking out loud.
                            I appreciate all of your input here, I know I’m a PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              And who knows, if I can afford a good enough set of IEMs I could did without the floor wedge as well....
                              Just thinking out loud.
                              I appreciate all of your input here, I know I’m a PITA.
                              No, you're not a PITA, just seems that you are missing something. You have to have the IEMs to hear the rest of the band, the monitor will most likely just be in the way there. If you just use the Amplifire through the monitor, you won't be hearing the rest of the band, they are all in the little IEM mixer thingy and you are most likely behind the mains, so you can't count on hearing those, what you hear will be bouncing off the back wall so there will be "real analog" latency.

I use these IEMs, I actually like them better than the Westones I paid a lot more for - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, if you have some headphones, you can just use those, but you need something to plug into your monitor mixer.
                              Last edited by devastone; 02-03-2021, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I will say that good IEMs are absolutely worth it. Unfortunately, they cost as much as an amp. I paid about $700 for mine from Alien Ears (a local company).

Comment

Working...
                                X