Looking for a small yet versatile setup for church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by devastone View Post

No, you're not a PITA, just seems that you are missing something. You have to have the IEMs to hear the rest of the band, the monitor will most likely just be in the way there. If you just use the Amplifire through the monitor, you won't be hearing the rest of the band, they are all in the little IEM mixer thingy and you are most likely behind the mains, so you can't count on hearing those, what you hear will be bouncing off the back wall so there will be "real analog" latency.

I use these IEMs, I actually like them better than the Westones I paid a lot more for - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Of course, if you have some headphones, you can just use those, but you need something to plug into your monitor mixer.
    Yes, I understand that I need the IEMs to hear the band. For the church project I would not use the monitor at all...it will all go through the IEMs.

The monitor comes into play with the regular rock band. Although I could also use the IEMs there too but I’d likely need something wireless.
    I thought the monitor would be handy for rehearsal and also for my own personal home use. My rehearsal PA uses the larger Thump 15’s and I suspect they probably won’t sound much better than the 12” version.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I will say that good IEMs are absolutely worth it. Unfortunately, they cost as much as an amp. I paid about $700 for mine from Alien Ears (a local company).
      I looked at those a while back. Really nice product but yes, very expensive.

Do you feel that they give an accurate representation of your guitar tone?

Comment

Yeah, I'd say it gives an accurate representation of what the guitar sounds like mixed in with the other instruments...what the crowd hears, essentially. It isn't the same as playing next to an actual amp.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post

Yes, I understand that I need the IEMs to hear the band. For the church project I would not use the monitor at all...it will all go through the IEMs.

The monitor comes into play with the regular rock band. Although I could also use the IEMs there too but I’d likely need something wireless.
          I thought the monitor would be handy for rehearsal and also for my own personal home use. My rehearsal PA uses the larger Thump 15’s and I suspect they probably won’t sound much better than the 12” version.
          Then yeah, those monitors look great, again, haven't heard them in person though.

FWIW, for just playing in church, I have trouble coughing up that much on some IEMs, well, I did buy some Westones a few years ago when they were on sale for ~$200 (I think they were normally ~$400, but been a few years). Sadly, I like the ~$60 ones I linked to in the earlier post better. And no, IEMs will never sound/feel like playing a real amp, more like listening to music on your iPod, phone, whatever, through good earbuds (of course, this also depends on the quality of the signal you are getting to your personal mixer).

Comment

If I could get it to sound close to listening to an mp3, I could live with that.
            My 1st experience with them was bad. I had a low end Shure set (215?) and although the vocals sounded good everything else sounded like it was playing out of a tin can.
            I was completely turned off to IEMs after that.

Comment

Me too, until I used the current set. I used low end Shures. My current set has 6 drivers in each ear. It is like playing along to a CD, really.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You must get good clean signals to mix (assuming you are mixing your own?), we're talking about playing in church. Not trying to be negative, and I've worked with total pros in churches and others that are just volunteers whose only background was running sound at that particular church. So, the quality of the signals going into the IEM mixer can vary, the mix, well, that's up to you, but it's not going to be the same as what is coming out the mains, it takes some getting used to. And, you have to just say "it's up to the soundguy" regarding the mains.

Comment

Glad you found something you’re happy with.

For IEM’s, several in our team are using these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G33XTW8..._GQRLFb6VBZ0VK and seem to really like them, especially for the price.

I was using an older version of those, which are pretty good, until I ran into a half price deal on some Sennheiser’s that I like even more.

Comment

Originally posted by DKSEARS View Post
                    Glad you found something you’re happy with.

For IEM’s, several in our team are using these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G33XTW8..._GQRLFb6VBZ0VK and seem to really like them, especially for the price.

I was using an older version of those, which are pretty good, until I ran into a half price deal on some Sennheiser’s that I like even more.
                    I have a pair of KZ that I use with my iPhone and I will say that for the price they are excellent.

Comment

• Man, gotta say last night I ran a stereo rig,

-Origin Revival Pedal into 68 Fender Deluxe (Custom Bassman Tone Stack Channel) and into an Iridium IR modeler pedal on Marshall Plexi V30 Cabinet Settings into the PA and it was other worldly sounding together.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

• Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                        I have a pair of KZ that I use with my iPhone and I will say that for the price they are excellent.
                        Yeah, that's basically what I've been posting links to, the TRNs are probably coming out of the same factory as the KZs, just a little lighter. But, if you have a set of KZs, you are set for IEMs, at least for now, just plug them into your personal mixer, probably will want an extension cable though, don't want to have to stand in the same 3' and not be able to move - https://smile.amazon.com/CableCreati...s%2C168&sr=1-5

Comment

• +1 on KZ. I also have a set of KZ ZX6 and I would use it until you can afford a custom set, as Mincer was talking about.

Comment

• Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                            +1 on KZ. I also have a set of KZ ZX6 and I would use it until you can afford a custom set, as Mincer was talking about.
                            I’m have the ZS5 pair. And also a set of the ZST that I use for the gym. I’ll get the extension cable that devastone posted and just start there.

Comment

• Sorry I have the ZS6, I step-up from ZS5. Maybe get a new set of quad-driver from KZ that is oriented for musicians (flatter response), they are affordable and will give you a very good idea if you like IEM or not for not too music $$$. Then go custom mold.
                              You also might get a look at Singtall presets fro your Amplifire. I used some of them for my Eleven Rack and they are very good.

Comment

• Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                                Sorry I have the ZS6, I step-up from ZS5. Maybe get a new set of quad-driver from KZ that is oriented for musicians (flatter response), they are affordable and will give you a very good idea if you like IEM or not for not too music $$$. Then go custom mold.
                                You also might get a look at Singtall presets fro your Amplifire. I used some of them for my Eleven Rack and they are very good.
                                I was looking at the aliexpress KZ page earlier and they have quite a few IEMs that look good for the musician. I have a buddy at work who is big into audiophile IEMs. I’m going to see what he thinks as well. I appreciate all of the input here. Clearly I have a LOT to learn.

The guy I bought the AF12 from included a bunch of IRs and profiles and I believe I saw some Singtall in there.
                                The issue I’m having is getting the editor to recognize the AF12. When I connect the usb, my laptop sees it and preps it to be used but the editor software doesn’t see it.
                                I contacted support and they recommend trying a new usb, and I have one on order. So we will see. I ha r seen a number of threads on various forums with h others having the same issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X