Which Noise Gate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Noise Gate?

There is an ISP Decimator for sale in the Trading Post for a good price, or I am considering a Mooer Noise Killer....Hard/Soft Switch and then a Threshold knob like the ISP....plus it’s a very compact pedal. I don’t want to spend more than about $60 and I can get the Mooer new for that. I don’t really like the Boss NS-2, even though it is consistently the highest ranked model.

Thoughts, suggestions? Thanks.
    Play more guitar.

Have heard good things about the Decimator being effective and transparent. Haven't used either personally, however.

Comment

I have been using ISP pedals and rack units since they came to market. I have yet to find anything better than ISP. I have tried a lot of products and have yet to find anything better. Buy right, buy once, buy ISP... end of story.
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
        I have been using ISP pedals and rack units since they came to market. I have yet to find anything better than ISP. I have tried a lot of products and have yet to find anything better. Buy right, buy once, buy ISP... end of story.
        +1
        ISP makes great stuff.

Comment

Even the Decimator I, just to be clear?

Thank you for the feedback by the way. Much appreciated.
          Play more guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Of Late View Post
            Even the Decimator I, just to be clear?

Thank you for the feedback by the way. Much appreciated.
            Yes! In many cases, it is still my favorite pedal of the bunch.
            The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I use the G-String version. It allows you to gate your amps preamp as well as anything in front of the amp.
              I’ve never used any other version so I can’t speak to how effectively it gates all of the signal.
              I believe the Version 1 only gates either in front of the amp or if you run it into your fx loop, the amp’s preamp.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                I use the G-String version. It allows you to gate your amps preamp as well as anything in front of the amp.
                I’ve never used any other version so I can’t speak to how effectively it gates all of the signal.
                I believe the Version 1 only gates either in front of the amp or if you run it into your fx loop, the amp’s preamp.
                Correct. The G-string is in essence (or can be) two pedals in one or effect two areas at once. The other pedals are 1 pedal one application. Same quality, different pedals. Same said for the rack units. They have a stereo version in those as well.

Comment

Well there is also a G-string model for both versions 1 and 2. The version2 models are marketed as having improved performance in the tracking.

I have only had the standard v1 like you are asking about. It is very good but IMO it's not quite as "transparent" as claimed, that is unless you set the threshold very low where there is still just a tiny bit of background. When setting it dead-silent I can hear/feel some drop-off in the fundamental of the tone, or maybe "attack" is a better way to describe it. I'm only talking about a very small difference and really just nit-picking because so many say it's like 100% transparent lol.

I've always wanted to try the v2 models just to see exactly what has been improved.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. It really helps to hear from a few of you who have actually used it. Makes a big difference vs just purchasing blindly. Sounds like this is the one to give a try. I’ll report back. I have a few things cooking right now, so I hope to get it done soon.
                    Play more guitar.

Comment

I have no complaints about the Boss ns-2, though

Comment

Originally posted by Flores_68 View Post
                        I have no complaints about the Boss ns-2, though
                        Agreed..... it have a couple NS-2 pedals as well. They also do a great job. I think the ISP is smoother in its gate but the Boss is damn good too.

Comment

Have you spent much time running a noise gate before? Every time I find myself wanting to plug into one it's because there's some other problem that I've been ignoring (shielding guitar better, fixing electronics issues in guitar, daisy chaining power supplies to pedals that don't like to be daisy chained, etc. The thing about noise gates is they do kill noise (very well), but that comes with a price - weird sounding note trails. It's always better to find a different way to get rid of the noise if possible.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

My main reason for wanting one is that my DSL40C is just a tad noisy on Red Channel 1 with the gain past 1:00. It’s not horrible, but a bit annoying. It’s better with my new set of power tubes, and I’ve rolled my pre amp tubes to get the best possible noise situation with the tubes I have, and I have some great NOS pre amp tubes. I almost never bump to Channel 2.

I just need something to tame a slight bit of hiss.
                            Play more guitar.

Comment

Working...
                            X