Compressor comparison/opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bogner View Post
    Empress makes a very nice one. I hear very good things about the Keeley Compressor Pro. Diamond, Carl Martin, Walrus audio make great options as well. Origin effects is the gold standard. I currently use the DryBell Unit 67 and quite like it.
    Just caught wind of the Empress mk II the other day. Prohibitively expensive, but I'd love to give it a try once they start appearing on the second hand market.
    Last edited by Coma; 02-19-2021, 05:09 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I love the Vise Grip and the BYOC 5 Knob compressor. i find a blend knob really helps maintain the initial attack of the note. I tend to like compression on acoustic guitar, too.
      I also have the Vise Grip. Excellent compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        Is that the newer model that they make?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
        I'm using this one:

Comment

This for guitar.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I think I'm going to build Aion's Aurora project. I found a matte green enclosure at Tayda, so I can call it the Military Press. It's basically an improved version of the DynaComp.

Comment

My boards use two comps - one as an effect and a subtler one downstream, so clean backlines can feel more like a pushed tube amp.

Big board has the Barber Tone Press for squeezing and a Unit67 after the drives - extra handy since it also gives me a master EQ that's far more musical than what the amps offer.

Small board has the Bearfoot Pale Green for an effect, and a Rothwell Love Squeeze for feel. The Pale Green is fairly gentle in terms of audible squeezing but works fine for my tastes; I don't need anything too squashy.

Also have the 6-knob VFE White Horse on a minimalist blues board. Pretty unique compressor with theusual blend, sustain, & level, plus knobs for bass cut, response speed, and a Drive control that adds grit right in the comp circuit.
              "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I just grabbed a JHS 3 series compressor and I love it.
                "On another day of the week I might have a 24th fret but this is a grown ups guitar" - Guthrie Govan

Comment

Working...
                X