My Mosky Golden Horse is Microphonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Mosky Golden Horse is Microphonic

I have never heard a microphonic pedal before tonight, never ever.
    I guess I now know why I need to spend the extra $1,970.00 for a real horse.
    Under (well, super) high gain, when I tap on it with my finger, it sounds exactly like a microphonic tube, exactly like that.
    Have never heard such a thing before.
    I know, I know, if it makes the sound when you touch it, stop touching it...
    TBH, I had other gain pedals downchain totally maxed...but still...

I said 'well, maybe I can work with it', so I turned on a few delays to see if I could stir up some percussive ambient magic with it.
    But it doesn't pass through the signal chain 'like that' for some reason. Loud as hell tho.

I wonder if I can wax-pot it?
    'You can't wax-pot a tube, but you can wax-pot a horse'.

Before you wax anything, you might want to identify what exactly is making the sound. In a pedal, I would assume it's a resonance in the circuit needing a filter, not a physical element vibrating. If tapping generates it initially, I would expect some solder or connection is not solid, triggering an initial errant signal that then resonates in the circuit. But I don't think wax would likely be the answer.

Comment

I'd open it, and test with a chopstick while plugged in to find out what component is causing this. Film it and send the video to the company and see what they say.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        I'd open it, and test with a chopstick while plugged in to find out what component is causing this.
        Film it and send the video to the company and see what they say.
        You would really do all that with a $30.00 overseas pedal?
        Does Mosky actually have human employees?
        I'm not sure there are actually human representatives available to watch my video.
        AAMOF, I think AI is behind all the lookalike imports, TBH.
        And I already have the wax here, for free.
        Of course, there are warranty concerns...

Comment

Meh. Warranty claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Drak View Post

You would really do all that with a $30.00 overseas pedal?
            Does Mosky actually have human employees?
            I'm not sure there are actually human representatives available to watch my video.
            AAMOF, I think AI is behind all the lookalike imports, TBH.
            And I already have the wax here, for free.
            Of course, there are warranty concerns...
            I'd totally do it. Maybe it is something they can fix if it is on all the pedals, or at least something they should know about.

Comment

I wouldn't try to wax pot a device that wasn't intended to be handled that way. It takes less heat to remove components from surface mount boards than normal soldering. By subjecting it to hot wax, you could just end up destroying the circuit board in one go, instead of finding out what the specific problem is and fixing it.

Comment

Buying a different one would probably cost less than shipping this one back to China, even if it were possible to contact an actual person over there.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I guess this is why people spend more $ on pedals.

Comment

Duct tape it to a mic stand, and thank china for your new microphone!
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Just buy another
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Where was it purchased?

Comment

My next-door-neighbor keeps bees.
                          I'm gonna go over there and pick up some beeswax.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            Just buy another
                            This. If it isn't worth going through the hassle of contacting the company or the store, then buy another. Or spend a little more and get something from a company that will stand behind their products.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

This. If it isn't worth going through the hassle of contacting the company or the store, then buy another. Or spend a little more and get something from a company that will stand behind their products.
                              It's a $23 pedal. It wasn't worth typing this post.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X