My Mosky Golden Horse is Microphonic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So to wrap this up...
    I'm not going to dip it in beeswax, OMG I Was Just Kidding! (but you knew that, right?)
    It Only does it when I had other high-gain pedals downstream Completely Maxed (which is not realistic, I was just f-ing around that day)
    Otherwise, it behaves OK.
    Was quite weird tho, I really have never heard a pedal do that before.
    But under normal circumstances, it works A-OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

It's a $23 pedal. It wasn't worth typing this post.
      It wasn't worth typing the topic, but here we are.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        It wasn't worth typing the topic, but here we are.
        A microphonic pedal not worth a mention?
        Oh contraire, it was well worth the thread, indeed.

Comment

Comment

The net-net is, only a proper investigation could isolate the source and determine the fix. Wax would not have solved this problem, but rather different components would be required:

Comment

Just saying that a Chinese company, hawking $20 pedals, is a chance at epic win, but also a potential loss.

Gun optics are the same way. I had a Leapers 30mm Red Dot sight. If it crapped out on my AK47, I
              a) Am not surprised
              b) Accept the $30 loss
              c) Buy another depending on how long it lasted, or buy a better one

(FYI - that sight is still working and hold the zero great! - total win!)

Simple rule of life. Guns, guitars, pedals, cars, whatever.

Now...a mid-line MXR/Boss, I might make the effort once.
              A high end pedal....I'm calling the shop that built it.

A Mosky? I'm buying another one and not even asking. You can buy 10 and still be cheaper than a boo-teek Klon copy. Or for $60, get an EXH should food.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Just saying that a Chinese company, hawking $20 pedals, is a chance at epic win, but also a potential loss.

Gun optics are the same way. I had a Leapers 30mm Red Dot sight. If it crapped out on my AK47, I
                a) Am not surprised
                b) Accept the $30 loss
                c) Buy another depending on how long it lasted, or buy a better one

(FYI - that sight is still working and hold the zero great! - total win!)

Simple rule of life. Guns, guitars, pedals, cars, whatever.

Now...a mid-line MXR/Boss, I might make the effort once.
                A high end pedal....I'm calling the shop that built it.

A Mosky? I'm buying another one and not even asking. You can buy 10 and still be cheaper than a boo-teek Klon copy. Or for $60, get an EXH should food.
                What about that nifty Waza Horse pedal you listed? You could always wait for that.
                The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Anything can be microphonic given enough gain, and or depending on the components used. For instance, ceramic capacitors are known to be microphonic even in circuits with modest gain can howl, or produce a " sound ". It is said that Ken Fischer ( Trainwreck Amps ) liked using ceramic capacitors in parts of the circuit because they would add something to the sound ( it was microphonic, he could hear it and he liked it ).

It sounds to me like you're doing what is known as stacking overdrive pedals. This has to be done pretty carefully for the very reason you seem to be finding out. When you add enough gain to the signal path, you will begin to hear all kinds of fun stuff that was never there before. It may be that the pedal is just microphonic and with the added gain from the following pedal amplifies it, or that the pedal design itself has just enough microphonic parts in it that given enough gain you can hear it?

If you are happy with the pedal as it is, it may be one of those things where you just get a different pedal to put in its place? That old joke: Hey doc., it hurts when I do this..... Doctor says: Well then don't do that..... Some pedals just don't work doing certain things to them, either because of design or in some cases, bad or failing components. For the price of that pedal, I say it's worth buying a different one and seeing what your luck is. I wouldn't spend the few grand to buy a real one quite yet.

I have a Klone that I built from a kit. It works well enough. I prefer it as a clean boost as opposed to an overdrive. Mine seems pretty dark-sounding, but not bad. I will probably buy another knock-off just to see if is the pedal or not. But as just a case in point about how pedals seem to work, I have a Fulltone OCD ( Ver. 1.4 if that makes any difference ??? ) and it DOES NOT like having my SD Dark Sun after it. The Dark Sun loads the OCD down in such a way that it sounds like a raspy pile of glass exploding. Straight into the amp, it sounds great. Other pedals behind it, it sounds fine. So you have to play around with what goes into what sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Drak View Post
                    So to wrap this up...
                    I'm not going to dip it in beeswax, OMG I Was Just Kidding! (but you knew that, right?)
                    It Only does it when I had other high-gain pedals downstream Completely Maxed (which is not realistic, I was just f-ing around that day)
                    Otherwise, it behaves OK.
                    Was quite weird tho, I really have never heard a pedal do that before.
                    But under normal circumstances, it works A-OK.
                    So you had HOW many high gain pedals maxed on your board? If it works fine under normal circumstances I don't see what the issue is
                    "On another day of the week I might have a 24th fret but this is a grown ups guitar" - Guthrie Govan

Comment

Working...
                    X