banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review: EHX Allied Overdrive - not sure if I already did this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review: EHX Allied Overdrive - not sure if I already did this!

So!

Now I've owned and used my EHX Allied Overdrive (full size verision) pedal, with my Epiphone Wildkat Koa, and Blackstar HT20mkII combo amp.-
    for several months. I purchased it, because I felt my Blackstar lacked "something in the mids" (previous Marshall only afficinado)- and I were also keen on the overdrive, that can be adjusted so low, that there is barely a "sparkle, chime and overtones" when pedal is engaged! .

The pedal has the following knobs and adjustments:

"Gain switch" - low/mid/high- that sets the inital range of the gain adjustment knob
    Gain - that adjusts the gain and overdrive.
    Volume- that sets the overall volume of the pedal when engaged
    Boost- that selects both the volume boost and gain/overdrive of the "boost section" when engaged

Low,
    Mid,
    Treble- interactive equalisation; that works very well. The midrange is situated in a fairly "sweet spot"- if you need more/less upper highs, you can get this with also turning the treble knob.

Dry- that lets you adjust seamlessly between 0- to 100% blended parallell signal trough pedal! Sweet!

Now I wish I had two of these, one for each setting. Turning up the mids, a bit of extra gain- turns my rather EQ-flat Blackstar into a biting, crunchy Marshall-esque 80's metal monster.

Using it on the clean channel, giving some extra treble, low-gain settings, and careful adjustment of the "dry" blend knob, gives extra sparkle and chime, to the cleans.

The "boost" function, that in the full size pedal, has it's own foot switch- engages a stacked Mos-Fet overdrive circuit- that's both fat, and singing. It has it's use, and sounds very different from the other gain/overdrive function on the pedal.

Let me say- the "gain" knob offers everything, from barely a clean boost, a slight sparkle/chime, and when you flip the 3-way switch onto "mid" or "high"- there is a ton of crunchy, well, CRUNCH to be had. With the "boost" engaged, you can crank it and get a massive, almost splattery, fuzzy sound.

The EQ is very nice, and voiced perfectly.

There is alot of tonal variations to be had, by slightly adjusting the "dry/blend" pot.

I'd say-

not a great clean boost (because the volume with no distortion maxes out early)-
    but an awesome boost pedal, infront of any amp;

cheap was it also!

I'm keeping this as the... hehe.. "supercharger" for my Blackstar Combo, until the end of time.

Recommended purchase! \m/

-Erlend

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Sorry for no pictures or sound samples.

Nothing I found on Youtube does it justice.

I bought it unseen/ un tried- but I don't regret a thing! .

-E
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I really think you will dig it!

Be particularity aware, of how the "dry" blend knob interacts, particulary around noon! :o. It drastically changes the whole response of the pedal and tone.

Comment

Yeah. It turned my "modern sounding" Blackstar into a screaming, JCM800-type beast .

And also gave alot of variations, of EQ control, various amounts of gain;

another "drive channel" with the boost switch engaged.

Everything with the premium build quality, and cheap price of EHX pedals!

Comment

Working...
        X