Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you place your flanger?

Hello all,
    I just got a Ibanez Mini Flanger and I currently have it in front of my amp. I'm wondering if it would be better in the effects loop like Chorus Delay and Reverb?
    I have a Boss ES8 so I can arrange my order anyway I want on any patch and can easily dip it into the effects loop.
    It's been decades since I had a Flanger and when I did I didn't use effects loops etc I just had all my pedals in front of my amp.

Thanks guys.

Put it before your dirt/in front of your amp for a more subtle sound. Put it after your dirt/ in your fx loop for a more dramatic one.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I keep my BF2 in the FX loop. Don't like it in front. Only issue is it would really need a clean blend pot. Have been saying I'll put one in myself for years but then I always come back to the fact that I suffer from a chronic case of laziness.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      1973 Aria 551
      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I worship at the tonal altars of David Gilmour, EVH, Jimi Hendrix and Alex Lifeson. If available, they were using pedal flangers into the front end of amps, and I tend to prefer that as well. This is the case for wah, phaser, flanger and pedal chorus as well.

In the case of Jimi is was studio tape Flanging and that is a different sound to me. I’ll put a flanger last to try to replicate the feel of it but really an MXR or Boss will
        never sound like studio flanging. Same with studio style tri-chorus, that sounds better after the preamp but that’s not a typical sound for me.

The exceptions are if I’m trying to get experimental or synth-like sounds, then after thing goes after the gain since that’s how synth architecture is usually built.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
          I put mine on my pedalboard.
          Yes - a lot of people blow the Flanger position and make the rookie mistake of putting it somewhere else!

It depends on the Flanger for me. I was using my Washburn straight into the amp up front. I would usually put it in the loop.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Awesome , seems like it's pretty versatile in placement. I have tried it out front so far and it's a bit strong. Not enough blend with your dry sound. I'm gonna place it in the loop before Chorus easy and Reverb so basically the first in the chain. Well I have a Switcher so I can place it anywhere

Comment

Phaser/wah/envelope filter in the front, flanger/chorus/delay/trem in the rear.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by mantis View Post
                Awesome , seems like it's pretty versatile in placement. I have tried it out front so far and it's a bit strong. Not enough blend with your dry sound. I'm gonna place it in the loop before Chorus easy and Reverb so basically the first in the chain. Well I have a Switcher so I can place it anywhere
                That’s the awesome thing about the ES8, you can build several patches all with the same devices selected and move them around to see what you like best. You don’t even need to unplug any cables to try it a bunch of ways.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

You will hear the flanger (or phaser) effect super clearly in the loop of the amp... Maybe even too obvious but very clean.

It sounds quite good (as PFDarkside said) before the front end of the amp. I use it like this.

The rule is to try, compare and choose what suits you.

But if you use a fuzz, you should put it before the flanger otherwise it will surely damage your flanging effect.
                  Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Sorry, low hanging flanger Joke, couldn't resist.

please proceed.....

Personally, I would put it in the loop
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Depends on the flanger.

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post
                        You will hear the flanger (or phaser) effect super clearly in the loop of the amp... Maybe even too obvious but very clean.

It sounds quite good (as PFDarkside said) before the front end of the amp. I use it like this.

The rule is to try, compare and choose what suits you.

But if you use a fuzz, you should put it before the flanger otherwise it will surely damage your flanging effect.
                        Absolutely. The ES-8 for me was a game changer. Also love just having all the pedals on and calling on them at will. I can't ever see having stand alone pedals without a matrix Switcher.

Comment

Wherever it sounds best.
                          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I like it hitting the front of the amp I find it to be more intense and dramatic.

Comment

I like phasers and flangers in front, that's the way Ed did it, good enough for me, but experiment and see what works for you.

I usually use chorus in the loop unless it's a really clean amp. Delay and Reverb always in the loop.

Comment

Working...
                              X