Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onboard Rangemaster + biasing questions

Hi there.

I build a oc44 rangemaster on a mini tagboard that i want to install in my strat. I would like to be able to use a dpdt toggle switch to turn it on and off. How do i exactly wire this into my strat ?

Another questioquestie bias of the rangemaster is nog 4.78v at the Collector and Emitters, the Base is 5.04v. How do i exaclty change the bias to 7v without using pots ? Change the value of the 68k resistor ?

Thanks

Last edited by dudiluty; 03-30-2021, 12:04 AM.

Should this work ?? I like to be able to turn the effect on and off with the switch.
    Attached Files

Comment

dont have the schematic but maybe you can see what ya need on mine. oh, and heres the front just cause its awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	back_firealarm.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	6068934

Comment

Name:	front_firealarm.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	6068936

Comment

^Wow! That is supremely cool.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

a buddy is a union electrician and was replacing the old fire alarms so he took a bunch home since they were just going in the trash anyway, and we figured out how to make them into pedals. he has one and i have one. you can see how little there is in even a modified rangemaster

Comment

That is cool as hell

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                dont have the schematic but maybe you can see what ya need on mine. oh, and heres the front just cause its awesome.

Name:	back_firealarm.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	6068934
                Thanks. But i did build a lot of rangemasters already. I'm just not sure how to wire it as a onboard effect in a strat with a toggle switch and on the volume pot.

Comment

That is very cool.

As for wiring it in a guitar, I wouldn't. That's must me. I see problems with interference and if the component leads aren't insulated, that could lead to it grounding out or worse. Those transistors don't like seeing wrong polarity.

Another option would be to wire it so that it can be attached to your guitar strap. That way you can use it with any guitar. Just my 2 cents.

As for the bias, that should be biased. Normally it's half of the supply voltage, which is 9V so the bias should be around 4.5V. I'd have to dig up my notes on biasing the transistor. It's been years since I made my RM clone.
                  Last edited by ErikH; 03-31-2021, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                    That is very cool.

As for wiring it in a guitar, I wouldn't. That's must me. I see problems with interference and if the component leads aren't insulated, that could lead to it grounding out or worse. Those transistors don't like seeing wrong polarity.

Another option would be to wire it so that it can be attached to your guitar strap. That way you can use it with any guitar. Just my 2 cents.

As for the bias, that should be biased. Normally it's half of the supply voltage, which is 9V so the bias should be around 4.5V. I'd have to dig up my notes on biasing the transistor. It's been years since I made my RM clone.
                    I know but i make my rangemaster clones center negative. So people can use them in daisy chain and with standard 9v adapters. If it's not a good idea to put a transistor in a guitar(maybe signal noise from pickups) i wont do it.

Comment

That is very cool.

I know but i make my rangemaster clones center negative. So people can use them in daisy chain and with standard 9v adapters. If it's not a good idea to put a transistor in a guitar(maybe signal noise from pickups) i wont do it.

Comment

I just measured the bias again after it has sit down for a while.

I measure this:
                        e 7.33v
                        B 7.63v
                        C 7.34v

Comment

Originally posted by dudiluty View Post
                          I just measured the bias again after it has sit down for a while.

I measure this:
                          e 7.33v
                          B 7.63v
                          C 7.34v
                          Yeah, that's not right.

Read this if you haven't already. Great info and worth downloading to keep handy.

Comment

Yeah, that's not right.

Read this if you haven't already. Great info and worth downloading to keep handy.
                            http://www.geofex.com/article_folder...er/atboost.pdf
                            Thanks that's helpful. So i have to increase 68k resistor to get to 7v.

Comment

Working...
                            X