Your favorite distortion pedal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite distortion pedal?

If you could pick one distortion pedal that's your favorite and would be just be fine using it only and nothing else, what would it be?

I've had many distortion pedals. At one time I owned 15, but ended up selling all but 2 of them. I would have to say my favorite one is the Boss DS2 Turbo Distortion. Kind of funny because the DS2 was one of the very first distortion pedals I ever tried in the mid 90s. Still the best and my favorite one after all these years.

That's a tough one. But probably this.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Catlinbread DLS

Comment

Mine is the SD 805. Outside of that, a BYOC klone, the Siver Pony.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For me, the Biyang Metal End covers all my distortion needs, from thrash (obviously) even to lite crunch, suprisingly enough. The amp simulator is excellent- I leave it on all the time. The pedal has more than the usual number of EQ sculpting options, and the gain level's range is wide and responsive. I started with the normal ("pro") version of this pedal, then tried the "King" version of it (higher quality chip and other components) and it actually lived up to the hype of being tighter and better than the normal version. I've bought another King version as a backup in waiting just in case the one on my board ever dies, that's how much I like it.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
            For me, the Biyang Metal End covers all my distortion needs, from thrash (obviously) even to lite crunch, suprisingly enough. The amp simulator is excellent- I leave it on all the time. The pedal has more than the usual number of EQ sculpting options, and the gain level's range is wide and responsive. I started with the normal ("pro") version of this pedal, then tried the "King" version of it (higher quality chip and other components) and it actually lived up to the hype of being tighter and better than the normal version. I've bought another King version as a backup in waiting just in case the one on my board ever dies, that's how much I like it.
            How do you think it go directly into a power amp?
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

MXR 5150 Overdrive. I'm able to get all the range of distortion/overdrive that I need from it. The Boss OD-3 is a close second. It doesn't have the same amount of drive as the 5150 but it still is an excellent overdrive to have on hand.

Comment

I don’t really like hard clipped distortion pedals, so I’ll say the Wampler Pinnacle.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Hmm...

The AMT M2 - although it's more of an amp-in-a-box.

Comment

Friedman Dirty Shirley, it’s got a good range from early break up to quite a lot of dirt and all whilst sounding open and not boxy or stifled. Second choice would be a Bogner La Grange.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                      Probably Wampler Triple Wreck V2. It gets the best thrash sounds of any pedal I have ever tried. Low-gain settings? Dunno. I will work with it. I have a GE-7; we will see what we can do.
                      I've always wanted one of those. Did those go out of production? I see the used prices are a bit steeper than I remember.

Comment

If I have a variety of hot amps at my disposal, Tubescreamer is amazing for tightening up those saturated tones into chuggable, record-worthy bliss. I haven't had much success with distortion pedals into clean amps. Haven't tried that second route much to be honest.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                          If I have a variety of hot amps at my disposal, Tubescreamer is amazing for tightening up those saturated tones into chuggable, record-worthy bliss. I haven't had much success with distortion pedals into clean amps. Haven't tried that second route much to be honest.
                          That's been me as well, though I usually go for a SD-1 or OD-3 in front of an overdriven amp and my variety of hot amps are different models on my Vox AV30. It wasn't until I got the OD-3 that I started using more drive from the pedal and pulling the amp back. Then when I got the 5150 it was "it". That pedal in front of a clean amp is amazing. It feels much different than a usual hard clipping distortion. I use it in my DI setup too.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            MXR 5150 Overdrive. I'm able to get all the range of distortion/overdrive that I need from it. The Boss OD-3 is a close second. It doesn't have the same amount of drive as the 5150 but it still is an excellent overdrive to have on hand.
                            The MXR 5150 Overdrive is one of the pedals I used to have but sold. Its a great pedal. I wish I'd kept it. I miss it.

Comment

Originally posted by UnderTheFlame83 View Post

The MXR 5150 Overdrive is one of the pedals I used to have but sold. Its a great pedal. I wish I'd kept it. I miss it.
                              Aww man. I will never part with this. My wife got it for me for Christmas. It was emotional to say the least since Eddie passed just last October and it still stings with him being my favorite and all.

Comment

Working...
                              X