• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnnyBsurfin View Post
    Analogman Mt2
    You should try a Keeley version.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

My fav. distortion pedal- is my EHX Allied Overdrive.

And I haven't tried many OD/dist pedals, just very very few .

But the EHX Allied OD, can do everything from a slight clean boost/sparkle, to a middy tubescreamer thing- all the way to a rich and saturated lead distortion.

It has it's ups and downs, but I think it's a great tool.

-E
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1618071375451.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	6072469

Either of these. Left is a lm308 rat.
        I like it used with low gain and high level to push a slightly crunchy amp but that's cuz I use it on tandem with bd-2 sometimes for lead boost. The filter has a wide range and plenty of gain available if you have a clean amp. Sounds 80s to me and has great mids, higher mids and just more agro than tube screamer, but with a healthy bass cut to keep things from being a mess

Bd-2 already mentioned above, I concur. Tons of volume boost, can be used for a almost fuzzy sound with gain up Cleans up great, tone knob pretty useful
        Little bass cut but not as much as ts

JCM mod ds-1 is pretty good at giving clean amps a marshall flavor. Won't fool any purists but surprisingly good at putting in "bite" and "british flavor", without too much gain. Insane value. Loves tube screamer in front.

Comment

This is tougher than picking my favorite pickup. I love many, but if I absolutely had to name a fav, it would probably be my Duncan Twin Tube Classic. Two channels, and it's hard to beat true high-voltage, tube overdrive.

I've got to give honorable mention to my 5150, Keeley Blues Driver, Soul Food, and my Rocktron Rampage. Oddly, I think the Rocktron was given to me by a forum bro who hated it. It's got it's own grungy thing going on.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
            Click image for larger version

Name:	1618071375451.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	6072469

Either of these. Left is a lm308 rat.
            I like it used with low gain and high level to push a slightly crunchy amp but that's cuz I use it on tandem with bd-2 sometimes for lead boost. The filter has a wide range and plenty of gain available if you have a clean amp. Sounds 80s to me and has great mids, higher mids and just more agro than tube screamer, but with a healthy bass cut to keep things from being a mess

Bd-2 already mentioned above, I concur. Tons of volume boost, can be used for a almost fuzzy sound with gain up Cleans up great, tone knob pretty useful
            Little bass cut but not as much as ts

JCM mod ds-1 is pretty good at giving clean amps a marshall flavor. Won't fool any purists but surprisingly good at putting in "bite" and "british flavor", without too much gain. Insane value. Loves tube screamer in front.

Nice to see Chicago Stompworks get a mention. He makes really great pedals and manages to keep costs way down.

I bought an Angry Green Bear a few months ago. That one is a Green Russian Big Muff clone and it's amazing. I'd put it up against a SUF or Wren and Cuff anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudeman7 View Post

Nice to see Chicago Stompworks get a mention. He makes really great pedals and manages to keep costs way down.

I bought an Angry Green Bear a few months ago. That one is a Green Russian Big Muff clone and it's amazing. I'd put it up against a SUF or Wren and Cuff anyday.
              The other pedal on my board is a green russian but it's ehx lolol! Awesome!!
              Chicago pedal is built well and sounds perfect for me, can't say a bad thing about it!

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                You should try a Keeley version.

Ive had both and for my taste I liked the analogman better, The keeley is more aggressive but the AM the EQ works so much better and takes away a bunch of the plastickyness. For a bedroom rig playing alone I would take the keeley but live and being able to get the pedal to cut through the AM worked better for me.

Funny enough Ive long sold both of those pedals and the MT2 I have now is just a bone stock one. It is actually still my go to pedal when im playing late at night and I want scooped chuga chuga at sub conversation volume. The fact that it doesnt cut well through a band means it doesnt carry through the house also.
                "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Chicago pedal is built well and sounds perfect for me, can't say a bad thing about it!
                  Been thinking of picking up a rat of some sort to use with my BD-2 as well. With the Mr. Vermin I read a couple reviews that the gain knob is finnicky and moves too easily to set nicely for low gain stuff . . . have you had any issues with this?
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Been thinking of picking up a rat of some sort to use with my BD-2 as well. With the Mr. Vermin I read a couple reviews that the gain knob is finnicky and moves too easily to set nicely for low gain stuff . . . have you had any issues with this?
                    No, no issues, I feel like there's a low to mid gain sweet spot and you just learn to recognize by ear and I have no trouble hitting it by sweeping the gain up from low until i hear the amount of saturation you want. I'm using the lower half of the gain knob, with the volume set to boost, 99% of the time so take that for what it's worth.
                    some people use it with more treble and gain and less volume, perhaps in those territory it is more finicky?
                    I'm using into an already just slightly crunchy sound that might be compressing and masking what others experience, I also thought of that. maybe if you were dialing in on a twin reverb it would be touchy?
                    the rat is what I use for darker and edgier low crunch to kinda wide saturated mids with a touch of fuzz when the volume is up so keep in mind I'm also setting it to a point where it's kinda saturated and finding sweet spots with guitar volume knob which is only as touchy as your volume knob!

the pots feel solid, smooth rotation and you can feel a little resistances to turning.
                    ​​​​
                    edit also I gotta add, cuz I sometimes turn it on in tandem with the bd-2 there's an easy way to identify the sweet spot for me Turn on the bd-2 with your settings, I like the knobs at noon but volume at 10:30. Turn your guitar volume up to max. Kick on the rat. Does it sqeal? Too much gain. Back it off until it just stops. That's the sweet spot.
                    Now back the guitar volume off a touch that's my kicked up lead sound. The rat color fills in and compresses the crap out of the bd-2 and ads mids and cuts bass, for me the perfect complement
                    Kick one or the other off for crunch and guitar volume back for dirty cleans.
                    ​​​​​
                    Last edited by FuseG4; 04-11-2021, 01:51 PM.

Comment

who can tell me about the ts9b?

Comment

No, no issues, I feel like there's a low to mid gain sweet spot and you just learn to recognize by ear and I have no trouble hitting it by sweeping the gain up from low until i hear the amount of saturation you want. I'm using the lower half of the gain knob, with the volume set to boost, 99% of the time so take that for what it's worth.
                        some people use it with more treble and gain and less volume, perhaps in those territory it is more finicky?
                        I'm using into an already just slightly crunchy sound that might be compressing and masking what others experience, I also thought of that. maybe if you were dialing in on a twin reverb it would be touchy?
                        the rat is what I use for darker and edgier low crunch to kinda wide saturated mids with a touch of fuzz when the volume is up so keep in mind I'm also setting it to a point where it's kinda saturated and finding sweet spots with guitar volume knob which is only as touchy as your volume knob!

the pots feel solid, smooth rotation and you can feel a little resistances to turning.
                        ​​​​
                        edit also I gotta add, cuz I sometimes turn it on in tandem with the bd-2 there's an easy way to identify the sweet spot for me Turn on the bd-2 with your settings, I like the knobs at noon but volume at 10:30. Turn your guitar volume up to max. Kick on the rat. Does it sqeal? Too much gain. Back it off until it just stops. That's the sweet spot.
                        Now back the guitar volume off a touch that's my kicked up lead sound. The rat color fills in and compresses the crap out of the bd-2 and ads mids and cuts bass, for me the perfect complement
                        Kick one or the other off for crunch and guitar volume back for dirty cleans.
                        ​​​​​
                        Cool, thanks man!
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post

Ive had both and for my taste I liked the analogman better, The keeley is more aggressive but the AM the EQ works so much better and takes away a bunch of the plastickyness. For a bedroom rig playing alone I would take the keeley but live and being able to get the pedal to cut through the AM worked better for me.

Funny enough Ive long sold both of those pedals and the MT2 I have now is just a bone stock one. It is actually still my go to pedal when im playing late at night and I want scooped chuga chuga at sub conversation volume. The fact that it doesnt cut well through a band means it doesnt carry through the house also.
                          It will cut. You just have to turn the mid knob to about 2 o'clock. Both mid knobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                            It will cut. You just have to turn the mid knob to about 2 o'clock. Both mid knobs.

My comment was meant within the scope of my rig and how I play. I'm sure it works for other people just not me. I dont like the sound with both knobs at 2, Ive always ran the mids flat with the frequency around 11. Turning them to 2 makes it take on a nasally quality that I dont like. Thats where the AM pedal appealed to me. The EQ has been modded to work in more settings. Its actually really versatile on the AM pedal.

By the same token though I could easily see how someone wouldnt like the AM changes. Its almost like an un-metalzoned metalzone. The AM has far less gain than stock. If you run your gain higher than about 10 maybe 11 on a stock pedal it wont have enough for you. Because it has been un metalzoned it doenst do big wall shaking chug as well and not nearly as good as the keeley. Just 2 different animals I can easily see why 1 person would choose 1 over the other.

"It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                              Suhr Riot - All day everyday.

A few runners up: Wampler Plexi-Drive Mini, Ibanez DS9M, Boss Digital Metalizer
                              Great, great, great pedal. Nearly a three-in-one deal with the voicing switch. I put my clone back on my board this weekend after giving it another go.

Comment

This is a very tough question...totally depends on the type of distortion for the type of guitar IMO.

The one that I have never parted with is the Mad Professor Stone Grey Distortion. It does excellent crunch to high gain thru solid state or tube amps. Really seems to make single coils react like humbuckers–would be my "desert island" pedal. I've played it through tons of guitars and rigs–always sounds phenomenal.

PROCO Rats (all variations) get an honorable mention in my book especially through Fender tube amps. Lovepedal Eternity Drive would be my go to if I only used P90s.

Comment

Working...
                                X