Boss SD-1 Bypass Artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss SD-1 Bypass Artifacts

I keep coming back to the SD-1. Stupid simple, it has the sound I want, and for chips, they can be had any time, anywhere.

Unfortunately, the slight buzz you sometimes get when bypassed is incredibly annoying. Kind of one of those "once you've heard it, you can't unhear it" things. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on what kind of mod would get rid of it.

Is anyone aware of an easy way to get around this? And if not, can someone with a Waza version chime in as to whether it has the same issue? It might be worth it to pick up a used one if it solves my issue.

For what it's worth, I'm not attached to the idea of true bypass, so buffered solutions would work just fine. I just want that noise gone.

There is a mod to get rid of it. I don't have access to it right now but can try and get to it later. IIRC, it was something Brian Wampler came up with. It's been a long time since I looked at it but I'm pretty confident I have the information stored somewhere with other DIY / Mods stuff.

Comment

i have two boss pedals on my board and they both kick ass. i also hate the buffer so the sd1 and oc2 are in a bypass loop and out of the circuit when im not using them. hell, i dont even put the tu3 inline

Comment

It's a known problem on the SD-1, if you are running it at high gain into a clean amp you will probably notice some overdrive bleed from the circuit. There are some fixes out there but I don't have them right now. I run mine as a boost so I don't a lot of gain so it doesn't really bother me but YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          It's a known problem on the SD-1, if you are running it at high gain into a clean amp you will probably notice some overdrive bleed from the circuit. There are some fixes out there but I don't have them right now. I run mine as a boost so I don't a lot of gain so it doesn't really bother me but YMMV.
          That's it exactly. Like a ghost sound when the gain is set higher, which I like to do some times. I read somewhere that it might be due to two specific components being jammed right next to each other (and in theory one can be moved to prevent the bleed over), but I don't know if that's true. I can solder, but don't understand the components.

ErikH-Thanks! Any info would be helpful. Google brings up lots of conversations on this one, but few actual solutions.

Comment

I would use a pedal looper; which would physically disconnect it from the signal chain when off.

Comment

I'm also curious about the Waza version on this issue. Surely someone on here can attest to it being solved or not. Of course it has the custom mode that might be different too.

Comment

A simple bypass looper is the easiest solution until you get the mod straightened out.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	sd1-bypass-fix-406.gif
Views:	111
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	6070222

From what I remember, this worked. The issue seems to be that the transistors used in the flip/flip circuit (maybe just one of them) doesn't close all the way which leaves the leakage.

Comment

Surely they fixed that with the Waza right?

Comment

I’d just put it in a looper, keep it always on and leave it up to the looper to take it entirely out. There’s so many uses for them too.
                      The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Working...
                      X