Pickup booster pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup booster pedal

I want more output and presence from my pickups was considering using a blackouts preamp but would it be easier or possible to achieve this with the pickup booster?
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Many boost pedals can do it. The SD Pickup Booster is just another option.

Comment

The Pickup Booster will help with the output. It doesn't boost specific frequencies, like the onboard preamp would.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Pedal is way more flexible, and easy.

A clean boost and a good parametric EQ sound like exactly what you need.

But an EQ could easily work too
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Already purchased the blackouts preamp gonna install but the pedal would be more more versatile and easier to switch from guitar to guitar without mod. Gonna buy the pedal too will rate them both for you guys.wish I would have thought about the pedal before I bought the preamp
          But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
            Already purchased the blackouts preamp gonna install but the pedal would be more more versatile and easier to switch from guitar to guitar without mod. Gonna buy the pedal too will rate them both for you guys.wish I would have thought about the pedal before I bought the preamp
            I can see that. But I think the Blackout preamp is still a worthy purchase- it sounds great.

Comment

Im a bit confused about the blackout preamp, can I still utilize coil split or phase switches I have on my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I can see that. But I think the Blackout preamp is still a worthy purchase- it sounds great.
                Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post
                Im a bit confused about the blackout preamp, can I still utilize coil split or phase switches I have on my guitar?
                I wonder about this too. I bought the Blackouts preamp many moons ago. I still haven't installed it. I'm not sure what to expect.

Comment

Looking at it, it is just a booster for the pickups,- you should be able to use any switches you have.

Comment

Mincer - a question for you,if I'm putting the blackout preamp in a SG can I use it with my other 3 push pull pots for coil split and phase with the preamp or do I have to use the 3 pots that came with it

Comment

Ahh, there is the issue- if the switches are connected to the pots, I'd say, no. This preamp switches out the volume and tone pots for 25k ones. Look at the diagram here. If the switches were separate from the pots, then you could do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Ahh, there is the issue- if the switches are connected to the pots, I'd say, no. This preamp switches out the volume and tone pots for 25k ones. Look at the diagram here. If the switches were separate from the pots, then you could do it.

So it’s not possible to split at all, even if you get push/pull 25k pots or wire the pickups to a separate switch?
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

I think mincer is saying if it is a slide switch or push button or some other type of stand alone switching it would still be able to do it. Idk if they make 25k push pull pots or not. I'm going to search would like to ask mincer that question.
                          Also, would the preamp work correctly if I replace the pots with 25k push pulls of an unidentified brand?
                          Last edited by Mikelamury; 04-04-2021, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Right, if it was a separate switches, like toggles, then sure. But you can't use push/pull pots unless they were 25k.

Comment

Not sure if you're interested, but I happen to have a NOS GuitarElectronics.com "PASFX" I'd be willing to sell, which is an onboard version of the Duncan Pickup Booster circuit. It comes as a prewired harness that only requires 2 connections from your existing wiring (the hot and ground wires going to your existing output jack). It uses a toggle for true bypass and allows for an adjustable 6db-24db of clean boost when activated.

Comment

Working...
                              X