Sansamp Flu Rig V5 is the sh*t -It simplifies/solves so much perfectly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sansamp Flu Rig V5 is the sh*t -It simplifies/solves so much perfectly

Figured I'd move my comments to where others can see it easier in the pedal forum

So I finally tracked with the Sansamp Fly rig tonight.

Gotta say -it's bad*ss.

It sounds great -no surprise there though -as Tech21 doesn't make anything that's not great and they were the first to market with real amp modeling eq tools that professionals liked.

-Has Marshall (Plexi), Fender (Blonde), and Mesa style tone (Cali button on right side) stacks plus clean boost, Tap tempo Delay and Reverb are great and the Chromatic tuner is solid. Also a loop I/O to add you must have modulation and downstream F/Xs

The knobs are super sensitive (but tight so they don't accidentally move) -I was surprised how wide of a range can be dialed in.

One huge advantage is the noise floor is so damn quiet -if you had these functions in 5 or 6 pedals it would be way way noisier -but instead it's super silent.

Haven't tried the DI line level out yet -but Mincer says it sounds great.

This thing is 299.00 -it seems like an essential thing to have at the house or studio for guest players and either to gig with as the primary board or keep as a total backup if traveling.

Only draw backs are it's WAY smaller than I thought -so it's a little tight switching quickely if you have big feet -and it's easy to over step and bump a knob. The thing is 12.5 " wide and 2.5 " deep !!!

I have 4 gigs coming up, and am thinking about subbing out my main board for this on one of the smaller events to see how I do.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Yep, Tech 21 is awesome! I had better luck with that one using the Brit/Cali or clean channels separately, I didn't think they stacked as well, but I didn't spend a ton of time with it since I was comparing it to a RK5 v2.

FWIW, if the RK5 had a fx loop, it would be da' bomb, I like it's OMG distortion better, it stacks with the clean channel better IMHO (of course, YMMV, etc...). I keep going back and forth between the RK5 and some AMT pedals in my pedalboard.

Comment

I LOVE mine. Agreed, it is a badass little unit. I run a 5150 Overdrive in front of it for my main drive and set the Plexi for littler drive, more crunch. I also have a compressor and analog delay out front with that delay set to a heavier echo. I love the tap tempo feature on the Fly Rig. Been using mine as my main rehearsal rig since I got it and will probably use it on stage as well with my amp being a guitar only monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
        I LOVE mine. Agreed, it is a badass little unit. I run a 5150 Overdrive in front of it for my main drive and set the Plexi for littler drive, more crunch. I also have a compressor and analog delay out front with that delay set to a heavier echo. I love the tap tempo feature on the Fly Rig. Been using mine as my main rehearsal rig since I got it and will probably use it on stage as well with my amp being a guitar only monitor.
        Yep, that may be what I should have tried with the FR5, a separate ds/od pedal, and the 5150 is a great choice, I wasn't thrilled with the cali/brit distortion as my only distortion, it seemed more amp-like if used by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          Yep, Tech 21 is awesome! I had better luck with that one using the Brit/Cali or clean channels separately, I didn't think they stacked as well, but I didn't spend a ton of time with it since I was comparing it to a RK5 v2.

FWIW, if the RK5 had a fx loop, it would be da' bomb, I like it's OMG distortion better, it stacks with the clean channel better IMHO (of course, YMMV, etc...). I keep going back and forth between the RK5 and some AMT pedals in my pedalboard.
          Yes, agreed -I had much better tones using Plexi and Boost and Blonde and Boost and not stacking all 3.

It did a nice job driving a JCM clean and dirty channel -I'll try it on my Deluxe today.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Which way do you guys run the boost? I use mine as a post boost for leads.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Yes, agreed -I had much better tones using Plexi and Boost and Blonde and Boost and not stacking all 3.

It did a nice job driving a JCM clean and dirty channel -I'll try it on my Deluxe today.
              Yeah, kinda wish it had a button to switch channels between the 2 and had a full EQ for the "dirty" channel, would still need a TS or some kind of booster external, but do that anyway. If you get a chance try out the RK5, it's set up even better for that, that was one of Richie's desires with it that it work with amps well. And even though I'm not much of a fuzz guy, the fuzz is pretty cool, more of a Floyd style fuzz than say, Hendrix.

Comment

How many times did the designers have to get the flu before they made a fifth Flu Rig?

Comment

im gonna have to revisit one of these. i tried the normal one and the rk model and both sounded buzzy and thin into an amp. granted, im a fully admitted snob whos used to old fenders so maybe they just arent for me, but if everyone thinks they are great i guess i should give em another listen. would be nice to have something small and easy like this

Comment

One thing that works really well with these is that if you leave the cab sim on while running in to the front of an amp, it still sounds good. And depending on the amp, it may sound better.

Comment

Mine is just a boost for solos. I am seriously considering the Acoustic Fly Rig now.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I only have the RK5, the boost is only pre distortion, but it can be a compressor too, just like the distortion can be a fuzz.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Mine is just a boost for solos. I am seriously considering the Acoustic Fly Rig now.
                          Yeah, I'm thinking about selling my GT-1k and getting an acoustic and maybe a VT bass, tough call.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                            I have 4 gigs coming up, and am thinking about subbing out my main board for this on one of the smaller events to see how I do.
                            Let us know how it works! I pulled my RK5 out last night (haven't used it in a while) and remembered why I keep going back to the AMT amp pedals. The clean seems very dark on mine, maybe it's my monitors or room or something? The clean channel is also more Deluxe sounding (from what I understand, I've never owned a Deluxe) in that it's very warm and is not clean clean, it's starts getting some grit in it at low drive levels (haven't tried it with single coils), so it's hard to get jangly, funky clean sounds.

Still, a great unit, I'm not knocking it at all and am a Tech 21 fan, just doesn't always work for me. Or, maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Comment

I know I can easily do any gig my band has with a FlyRig. I won't have the more esoteric effects, but I could get by just fine (and sound good, too). So it always comes with me in case there is a meltdown of my other stuff.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X